Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries > Shredding lbs and 's in 2013.... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Shredding lbs and 's in 2013....
Views: 6,133
# 1
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Shredding lbs and 's in 2013....

Hi there,

I've decided to start my new diary now rather than leave it until the NY. Main reason being that I have just started a new exercise dvd called 30 day shred so I thought why not log my new challenge in a diary form and also alongside that begin my new phase to becoming debt free. Plus, as some already know, I have a habit of starting a new diary

Anyhow, won't bore you too much with details about me. I'm 34, live at home with hubby, cat and dog. Very much a happy home apart from this dreaded debt business Debts were prior to hubby and as you can see from my signature it's taken me a long time to get where I am but I now feel like i'm on the home straight and 2013 should see me debt free.

I am supported by hubby along the way in various ways i.e. he pays for hols, more to household etc so that it frees up my money to clear my debts. We work really well as a team and i'm super lucky to have him!

Anyhow back to the job in hand.....I will list my total debts later. I have joined the 20p and 2 coin savers clubs for 2013, I have also joined pay as much as you can club - which basically I have set my target to clear my debt in full.

My other target is to lose some lbs and yesterday I started the "30 day shred" dvd done by one of the trainers on the biggest loser series (america). Basically 3 levels. 10 days of each level. I'm 11st now and would love to reach 10st which was the weight I was in April this year (yes I know i've been bad and let it all slip!!) for my wedding day. I do however have to try diff forms to reach this target as I have cancelled my gym membership () so no double classes 5 days a week to get me there!

Day 1 of 30 day shred completed yesterday - it was tough going and my whole body aches today. Who'd of thought that 20 mins of exercise could cause so much pain?!

Will update how Day 2 goes a bit later once I have complete it.

Anyhow, enough of my yappings. Very much looking forward to this diary becoming a record of positive events to me achieving my ultimate goal of becoming debt free

Choc x

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Debt @ Nov 2007 64k........debt now 0.00

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 11-12-2012 at 5:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
GKIM
Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Choc-addict

Just wanted to say keep going at the 30 day shred - I managed to get halfway through level 2 and had to stop as it was gruelling! So on behalf of all unmotivated exercisers everywhere KEEP AT IT! Anyone I've seen who has completed it has seen great results.

(and of course best of luck for 2013 and your debt free journey )

GK x
20p Savers Club #9
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GKIM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
loubie_lou
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good luck! I think I will start my 30 day shred on December 31st as the 1st will be a no no! Think ill plan to do it every other day as it's too hard going for me to do everyday!
Debt Free B4 Xmas 2014 #24 2167/3500
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loubie_lou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
olivia84
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ooohhh good luck with paying off your debt in 2013. the 30 day shred thing sounds good. when you say you did 20 mins yesterday, does that mean you only do 20 mins per day? that actually sounds very doable - that's my problem - the thought of a full hour's exercise just means am never gonna do it!

xx
"never look down on anyone.....unless you're helping them up"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olivia84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 1:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks guys. I'm determined to stick at this!

Olivia - yes it's about 20mins which is why I decided to go with it as I can fit it in each day. It is hard going and i'm sure levels 2 and 3 are going to kill me but as they say no pain no gain!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
olivia84
Old 06-12-2012, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

yea - it defo sounds good - and some kind soul has uploaded the whole lot onto youtube! will be giving it a whirl - thank you!!

xx
"never look down on anyone.....unless you're helping them up"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olivia84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 1:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia84 View Post
yea - it defo sounds good - and some kind soul has uploaded the whole lot onto youtube! will be giving it a whirl - thank you!!

xx
Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 1:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Added another 2 and 20p to my piggy bank
The Following User Says Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
foxgloves
Old 06-12-2012, 1:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi, Just chipping in to say that we started debt-busting a few years ago now & then started tackling our weight in Jan 2011. So far, I've lost five & a half stones & partner has lost over 4 stones. I've mentioned this before in posts, but we've really found that the same skills for tackling debts/spending are very useful for tackling weightloss/overeating. They both come down to planning, having a budget (whether it's money or calories), understanding the implications of not sticking to the budget once made, etc. I've lost weight in the past, but never kept it off & never lost as much as this. Can't help wondering whether doing the debt-busting has actually had a knock on effect on the successful weight loss.......after all, we spend less when we do proper portion control (Rosemary Conley's portion pots, lol!), also, we're not spending on junk food & high fat & sugar stuff & the regular meal planning (for budget) means we can look at calorie controlled meals at the same time. Am sure if psychologists really did a detailed study of this, they'd find a link between poor financial management & poor weight management. Relaxing it a bit for Christmas, but aiming to lose another 2 stones next year, then I think that'll be me done! x
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to foxgloves For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 2:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow foxgloves, that is amazing!!

I have used RC portion pots too - they do really help and it's amazing how much we over eat by not having the right portions and in turn as you say prob spend more too!

I really need to get more organised on life side of things -I think I now have the money side under control so home/food etc def needs looking at.

I find calorie controlled diets are the only thing that has ever worked for me. Thing is i'm normally good for say 2 weeks and then let is slip. Hence me attempting this 30 day thing!

Don't they say you have to do/follow something for 21 days for it to become a habit...something like that anyway
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Plan for this evening....
  • Finish work at 5ish
  • Take pooch for walk
  • Day 2 of 30 day shred (ouch!)
  • Swish about house
  • Take pooch to doggy class
  • Bath & bed!
Hubby is on late shift today so won't be home until 11pm ish so entire evening is mine. Or not so as the list above shows. Hey ho, such is life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Choc-addict
Old 06-12-2012, 9:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Day 2

Well day two has gone well. A nsd on money front and also completed day two of level one on the 30 day shred. I actually found it easier today, not sure why but that's good in my mind!

I took a peak at level two....OMG I must stick with it though, I can do this!!!!!!!

Pooch back from puppy class - she was a very good girl this evening for a change. Normally mad.

Choc x
# 13
miss_lisalou
Old 06-12-2012, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well done choc-addict, a girl after my own heart! I started Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred in Jan/Feb and have got her other DVDs since, they are all amazing. At the start I weighed 63kg (size 12 waist, 14 bust) and had been for so many years. Every 3 or 4 months since then I've noticed I had to change clothes size. Now I'm an incredible 53kg, size 6/8 waist and 8/10 bust . This was far more than I imagined possible and have never been this size!

As I'm paying off my old debts, I do have to get most of my clothes 2nd hand on ebay or if I can really afford to treat myself, it's in the sales (and always look for further discount vouchers online too!), but my old stuff gets sold on ebay too, good riddance.

The 30 day shred is hard to start with, but keep at it and it will work wonders, I promise x
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miss_lisalou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Choc-addict
Old 07-12-2012, 7:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow Lisalou - you've just given me great encouragement! I am determined to finish the 30 day shred and am already trying to decide what dvd of hers next to do. I want to keep up this fitness dvd's together with some running and hopefully they'll never be the need for a gym again!
# 15
Choc-addict
Old 07-12-2012, 8:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Day 3.....

Have me a long day at work today so don't know what else I will fit in. I'm supposed to be going out tonight but not really feeling like it (don't know why?) so may pass and save the money and have a quite one. Not slept properly past few nights so I wonder if that is it.

So mini list for today -
  • Work until 6pm (already at work now)
  • Day 3 of 30 day shred
  • Mini spruce of house
  • Sort clothes
Nothing major, most of the day is taken up with work so can't do much else.

Choc x
The Following User Says Thank You to Choc-addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
miss_lisalou
Old 07-12-2012, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying these workouts. I've never been to a gym in my life, find them far too intimidating and I initially doubted whether doing these workouts from home would have the same effect. I haven't changed my diet at all, still love chocolate, pizza & pasta, just all down to sweating for 30-40 mins a day!

Another good one to go for is 'Ripped in 30', it's based on the same style as '30 day shred' but again advances on the exercises involved. 'Banish fat, boost metabolism' is good too, this one lasts 50 mins. I enjoy mixing them all up so don't get bored doing the same one. And these DVDs are so cheap, it's far better than paying for gym membership
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss_lisalou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Choc-addict
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_lisalou View Post
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying these workouts. I've never been to a gym in my life, find them far too intimidating and I initially doubted whether doing these workouts from home would have the same effect. I haven't changed my diet at all, still love chocolate, pizza & pasta, just all down to sweating for 30-40 mins a day!

Another good one to go for is 'Ripped in 30', it's based on the same style as '30 day shred' but again advances on the exercises involved. 'Banish fat, boost metabolism' is good too, this one lasts 50 mins. I enjoy mixing them all up so don't get bored doing the same one. And these DVDs are so cheap, it's far better than paying for gym membership
Ooh now i'm excited!! I like the idea of mixing them up

Can I ask, did you do the 30days straight or did you have a couple of rest days in between?

I can't afford the gym (as you can see in my sig!) so need to up the exercise from home. I'm already finding that mentally i'm more focused by having something to stick too. x
# 18
miss_lisalou
Old 07-12-2012, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I never do the same routine two days in a row. Sometimes I'd do pilates or swimming inbetween Jillian's and other workouts, but if my muscles hurt then I'd skip it for a day to recover.

'The Firm' are good workouts too, similar to Jillian Michaels where the pace is mixed up fast and slow. They're only 5 or 6 but go for the new ones with purple covers, the white covers are old and not as good Mixing them up like this you will definitely see results quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss_lisalou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Choc-addict
Old 07-12-2012, 3:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_lisalou View Post
I never do the same routine two days in a row. Sometimes I'd do pilates or swimming inbetween Jillian's and other workouts, but if my muscles hurt then I'd skip it for a day to recover.

'The Firm' are good workouts too, similar to Jillian Michaels where the pace is mixed up fast and slow. They're only 5 or 6 but go for the new ones with purple covers, the white covers are old and not as good Mixing them up like this you will definitely see results quickly.
Fab, thank you! I shall take a look over the weekend and perhaps order another to do on alternate days. I like to run and swim too so perhaps I can mix it all up like you say. Oooh, i'm dead excited now How sad am I?!
# 20
Choc-addict
Old 08-12-2012, 2:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well didn't get a chance to do dvd yesterday. Worked all day and then a quick shower and out for meal. Had a real bargain of a meal nachos to start, fajitas for main and a couple of glasses of fizz and came in at 15 including tip....perfect and delicious!

Today sees me taking the pooch for a 2 hour walk this morning, ollowed by lunch then house work. DVD (go me!!!)....bit more housework and now sat down with a cuppa.

Later on i'm popping to a friends for a cuppa and then back for bit more housework/sorting and then a bit of good old sat night tv