IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Charge Notice - Parking eye

Options
parking_question_chap
parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 3 November 2012 at 7:34PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello,

Please could somebody advise.

Please note this was mid October 2012 and I have read the law is different now, so I am worried about ignoring this

I have received a ticket from Parking eye, they stated I have exceeded the time allowed in a car park, its a local one around the corner from me. Its a free car park with doctors, nursery, video store and small supermarket. I think there is a sign on the way in that may tell you how long you can stay for.

Upon checking my diary I remember that I went and parked there after work for about ten minutes to use a shop, at about 16:00, then went in again at bout 20:00 to use the same shop for some red bull for a long journey.

Their cameras have picked up my entry at 16:00x and me exit at about 20:10 and come to the conclusion I was there for the duration. thus exceeding the 2 hour max stay.

they have sent me a "Parking charge notice" asking for £100, or £60 if paid sooner.

Is it upon me to prove I was on there on two separate occasions? It is a lot of money to pay and I really dont trust I would get a fair hearing if I appealed.

What do I do?

Best wishes.

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have to "prove" anything. Just ignore these clowns. The new law doesn't change a thing.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Yep very convenient that first in last out, it's to much of a coincidence for it to be a mishap. So the advice is to ignore them if you are the registered keeper, they don't do court and it will not go there. You have an opportunity to use the so called independent appeals popla, but it takes effort and time, if those are in short supply just ignore them.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    No you don't need to prove anything. You now have two choices :

a) If you want a quiet life then just ignore Parking Eye and anything they send you. In the very unlikely chance they send you stamped court papers come back here.

b) If you're up for a fight and costing Parking Eye some money then appeal. Once your appeal is rejected ( because it will be ), then appeal to POPLA thus costing Parking Eye £32. After that, regardless of the outcome, ignore everything you get from Parking Eye except stamped court papers.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2012 at 9:12PM
    Options
    This question about the 'new law' has been asked dozens of times already and we are only at the end of October...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4208919

Why not click one click back to the current forum, and read the stickies? See my signature for where to click in the blue link, top of page.

Fifth thread down tells all, including - if you look at the OLD letter chains link as well as the new one - showing you preview pics of the letters that will be sent to the registered keeper. Also on the old link on that 5th thread (to an MSE thread with photos of letters) is a Watchdog clip which is still very relevant, the only difference being that now the registered keeper can also join in ignoring the fake PCN, it's not just fun reserved for the driver!

You can ignore it or if you were in England/Wales you can appeal then appeal again to POPLA...then ignore it again if POPLA don't cancel the ticket as it's not binding on you. That's basically it, ignore it now or ignore it later after costing the PPC money to fund the POPLA stage.

And there are endless threads already about this new Act and the POPLA appeals service. Of course you don't have to pay it, these fake PCNs have not suddenly become enforceable fines just because PE have included an extra piece of paper or paragraph banging on about the new Act.

Do some reading of the threads on the forum and your question is answered several times over. By the way, the situation you describe is a common scam and twice last week I made a deliberate attempt to get a Parking Eye ticket locally by returning twice outside of the one and a half hour limit but within the arbitrary 'no return' time. Not sure if it's worked yet but I will keep trying, honestly it's nowt but a con and I want one of those so I can show it to POPLA!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • harpster
    harpster Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 November 2012 at 12:29AM
    Options
    i have just had a charge notice come in too, using the same scam..
    as i went to aldi and farmfoods "Newtown shopping centre" in the morning then took the kids to the cinema at star city in brum then went back to pick up some lunch from greggs after the film. They reckon i stopped there for over 3 hours!!!!, interestingly they have for some reason not picked up when i left in the morning or when i arrived back in the afternoon. Can i not demand they provide video footage of the time period.
    I feel inclined to write to the land landlords "Marriotts" and to the two supermarkets.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 2 November 2012 at 12:44AM
    Options
    harpster wrote: »
    i have just had a charge notice come in too, using the same scam..
    as i went to aldi and farmfoods "Newtown shopping centre" in the morning then took the kids to the cinema at star city in brum then went back to pick up some lunch from greggs after the film. They reckon i stopped there for over 3 hours!!!!, interestingly they have for some reason not picked up when i left in the morning or when i arrived back in the afternoon.

Can i not demand they provide video footage of the time period.

You should only bother to appeal and demand such info if the incident was in England/Wales in October. Newtown = Birmingham? If so then see the advice above and eventually aim to see the appeals process through to exposing this scam to POPLA, the new appeals service. The more scam fake PCNs they see the better IMHO and this is a classic con.

harpster wrote: »
    I feel inclined to write to the land landlords "Marriotts" and to the two supermarkets.

Yep, yep, yep. The more complaints the merrier.

Easiest way to do it is to do an email appeal but instead of calling it that, just head it up instead as: 'complaint about ANPR scam by parking agents in xxxx car park' and copy in the PPC, the Supermarket Head Offices and Marriots management. Get email addies for all of them by searching or phoning them and just send off your appeal more as a complaint to all, not like an appeal at all. Much easier for you - but make sure neither the subject line nor the email itself talks about any 'appeal', word it as a complaint to all recipients with the name of the car park so they all know what it's about.

The PPC absolutely HATE you complaining and involving the hands that feed...:)

Then if the PPC does reject the 'appeal' (that's what they will call it) you can then move on to appealing to POPLA as well to expose the con further, and again copy in the other parties - why not? Let them see what the agent is making you go through when you were just a genuine paying customer (ex-customer?).
  • harpster
    Options
    thanks for the advise coupon-mad, do we have any templates anywhere on the forums, if so can you send me a link please..:)
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    No we don't use templates. Forget any old ones shown on the website (Martin's articles about appealing parking tickets are 3 or 4 years old and on the forum we have never suggested using any template). Also yours is a simple complaint really, just point out the facts and insist that it's cancelled and say you have copied in the retailer and landlord as this is all too common a scam and you want them to know what their parking agents are up to. Don't say please or thankyou, just straight to the point.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Thanks for all you advice, and best of luck harpster.

I shall just keep all mine in a drawer and ignore them, not going to give these ..,,.;,.[;[ s the time of day.
  • Devils205
    Options
    I've just received a Parking Charge Notice today. I visited my local Homebase to check out price reductions for that weekend. We subsequently went back next day when the reductions were in place, I have a reciept. On my first visit, whilst on my lunchbreak, my car failed to start when I returned to it to leave. I walked back to work and returned later,(21 minutes after the 3 free hours) to jump start the car and drive home. Not sure which route to follow now?
    1/ ignore. 2/ write and appeal or 3/ tell them i refuse to pay stating it was a legitimate overstay, in a FREE car park! Any thoughts anyone please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure