Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    girl_withno_name
    Carpet cleaning, damp and deposit
    • 11th Oct 12, 9:46 AM
    Carpet cleaning, damp and deposit 11th Oct 12 at 9:46 AM
    We've been renting a property since Jan-11 and moved out end of Aug-12, although the contract doesn't run out until this Saturday.

We returned to the property last weekend to clean through and, as per the contract, had the carpets cleaned. Although the carpets were a bit damp when the job was finished, we figured this was normal and wouldn't be an issue, so locked up and returned home. Unfortunately we didn't take photos at this point in time because we still needed to mop the kitchen/hallway, so I was due to take these at lunch today before returning the keys.

On Tuesday of this week we received a call from the landlord saying that he was at the property doing work and painting (we knew nothing about this visit), but that:
    • He had taken meter readings and provided the LA with the values,
    • Seen that the carpets had been professionally cleaned and was happy with their condition,
    • Confirmed the property was left in a clean and suitable manner.
    • Had asked the LA to return our deposit in full,
    Yesterday we received an email stating that the landlord has advised that the lower levels of the walls in the lounge area appear to be wet from the carpet cleaning and therefore he has requested the bond be held until he has had an opportunity to turn the heating on high to allow drying out and he will be in contact with the LA on Monday to advise of the condition.

I've returned to the property this morning and I can see what he's talking about, although I'm not sure whether he's also tried to paint the walls in the last couple of days (potentially making the problem worse, some of the paint seem to have been chipped/flaked away?) and the heating wasn't on at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Last edited by girl_withno_name; 11-10-2012 at 9:52 AM.
    You were only killing time and it'll kill you right back
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,380Posts Today

7,379Users online

Martin's Twitter