PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property guardianship

gwendes
gwendes Posts: 26 Forumite
edited 28 September 2012 at 1:05PM in House buying, renting & selling
I've recently been introduced to property guardianship by a friend who is currently living in a really interesting property.

This week I've found out that the rest of my house share is planning to move out and, understanding the limitations, pros and cons of being a property guardian it's really something I'd like to do.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Let us know how you get on....
  • Thanks. I was offered a viewing in North London N8 but have only submitted applications for South London.

I've emailed a response to this and not heard anything for a week.
  • BUMP :)

Here's hoping anyone knows anything about this!
  • Good news :)

I found a guardianship! Viewing and moving next week!
  • Does the tenancy or licence agreement (which??) say you are an employee and the accommodation is "tied cottage" type??

There was discussion over at another place on the question of the legality of their agreements....
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?45671

However, if you are happy with the deal.....

Cheers!
  • It's a license.

I've been over the details and very happy to take the advantage of cheap personal space (it's a large studio flat) in zone 3 over the potential downside that I may be required to move out at short notice :)

It's not going to suit a lot of people but I'm happy with this arrangement. I'm a bit odd you see :D
  • The issue of license v. tenancy may indeed come as a bad surprise to the homeowner one day.
    But for the 'guardian' I think it should be all fine, as they're obviously happy with the 'guardianship' arrangement.
  • I was once a tenant for Camelot and they said there was no extra charge for council tax and that the rent was all inclusive. When they told me it was time to leave, they took the council tax out of my deposit and would then not answer my calls or even talk to me about it. I asked Citizens Advice to talk to them on my behalf but they ignored us. I considered the small claims court but life got in the way. Can be good but beware of hidden extras and make sure you get your copy of the contract and don't accept promises of 'it's in the post'. Be warned and get it there and then as they are very hit and miss.
  • phynbarr
    phynbarr Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    impending divorce ad house sale means I need accommodation for me and daughter QUICKLY. I've been looking into rented accommodation but do few landlords will consider pets and I've lost so much already

What are the benefits and pitfalls of property guardianship? Is it a possibility?

this thread seems to have been quiet over recent months and years so maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be
  • GuruJon
    GuruJon Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So I did this for a year nearly (mid 2013/14). It's not for everyone and I am not going to suggest if you should or shouldn't. I will however tell you my experience and some pitfalls you should be aware of.

You are given a licence and it does not afford you pretty much any rights. So what that means is that if they give you the requisite 4 weeks' notice you have to move out. No ifs no buts. They can ask you to move out without a reason. There is no recourse on these grounds. I mention this point because it can be construed as similar to notice from shorthold tenancies. It isn't. And there is no obligation to rehouse. You can look at the list again but you have to pay a further £25 to move to the new place. Even if they have asked you to move.

Okay so the nitty gritty You are asked to go to an induction. You will need to be employed. If accepted, you will be given a list of properties on their books to look at at their offices. You can then choose to visit them. A couple at a time max. You typically don't get to meet the people living there(they'll be at work). And vice versa. Select one you like and hand over 2 grand for deposit and a few months' rent. You will also have to buy the mandatory fire extinguisher, smoke alarm and other bits and bobs for a further £80. They'll have a pack

Typically you will get a 2 bed or more. There will normally be one person or 2 living there. If it is an old hospital or the like. Expect to be living there in a big group 20-30 strong. Great if you want to party and meet people. Not so great if you want to hold down a nine to five.

You don't share rooms. The condition is usually poor to appalling. If it's got central heating, you are laughing but if it breaks, providing it's an easy fix, they sort it. You may have to wait a month though and that's not uncommon. If it does break and is an expensive fix, they will condemn it and you will have to buy heaters. Typically, you'll be on a pay as you go electric tariff, so it'll be expensive. If you are worried about mildew or damp. They won't fix it.

Broadband can be an issue. If you are happy with mobile broadband its fine. But if you are on the thrift, you'll be wanting to save and buy home broadband. Issues with this will be the contract length, you'll have to move it with you when you move if it's an option and you will be stuck with the length of the contract if you can't.

My experience wasn't the best. I was spoilt and used to furniture and heating without having to pay the earth. Not sure you save that much if you are paying premium for bills, not to mention hassle when getting furniture, cooking facilities and fridges etc. Moving also adds cost. So things to consider. If you have parents with a garage, a van, and spare furniture it's a good deal. If you have a partner that will put up with it, and you both sign up. It could work.

Just remember it's a business for them, and the less you hassle them the better. They just want you to pay the fees and not rock the boat. It doesn't do what it says on the website.

Hope this helps someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport