Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Monument Credit Card PPI Claim (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Monument Credit Card PPI Claim
Views: 14,814
# 1
TheGenerus1
Old 12-07-2012, 4:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Monument Credit Card PPI Claim

Hi,

Has anybody tried to claim their PPI (Payment break plan I think they call it) back from Monument.

My Monument account was opened in 2003 and is still currently open with a balance on it. The account was taken over by Raphaels Bank PLC last year but still mention Monument as the contact address and telephone number.

I setup my current account to take the minimum monthly payment on the monument account (a few years ago) plus I make a additional payment monthly of £10 extra to get the balance down.

I have just noticed that I have been paying the payment break plan as well, which I do not think I asked for.
I have statements going back several years with the Payment plan being added.

Does anyone know who I should go through to try and claim back this PPI, Raphaels Bank or Monument?

What should I sent them in regards to paper work or is there a template letter I could send them? As I said I have all the statements as evidence.

It's not a huge amount, only about £7 a month or about £500 over the 6 years, but anything is better then nothing.

One last thing, does it matter that my monument account is still active and showing a balance that I am still paying down (It shows up in all my CRA report with green ticks going back 6 years).

Hope someone can help me and share any experience with claiming Payment break plan charges back from Monument.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Daz68
Old 27-07-2012, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
Which? have a very helpful part of their website dedicated to PPI with forms telling you exactly what to do.
I also had a Monument credit card and I am finding it impossible to find out how to contact them to check if I was mis-sold PPI. Any tips would be very welcomed.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Daz68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
TheGenerus1
Old 27-07-2012, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz68 View Post
Hi
Which? have a very helpful part of their website dedicated to PPI with forms telling you exactly what to do.
I also had a Monument credit card and I am finding it impossible to find out how to contact them to check if I was mis-sold PPI. Any tips would be very welcomed.

Thanks
Thank you for that info mate.

I have now used the template letter on the Which? website to begin my claim.

Template letter sent to:-

Complaints Manager,
Monument Customer Services,
51 Saffron Road,
Leicester,
LE18 4US
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGenerus1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Daz68
Old 27-07-2012, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Brilliant. Thanks.Really useful
# 5
rodsbaby
Old 10-08-2012, 9:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Never in a million years dreamt I would get my money back , but this is the address to send your claim too, definitely will get dealt with , good luck

Carole O'Neill
Customer relations
Monument
51 Saffron Road
Leicester
lE18 4US
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rodsbaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Dunree
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been looking for that info for ages, thank you very much
# 7
TheGenerus1
Old 11-08-2012, 1:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's been 2 weeks now and no response yet, not that I am expecting them to have resolved my PPI claim already. No acknowledgement that they have received my letter and that they are dealing with my claim.

I have noticed though on my new statement that I received yesterday that the Payment Break Plan is no longer showing and that it has been removed.

I hope this was the first acknowledging step by Monument in my PPI recovery process.

I will continue to post my correspondences and outcome from Monument on this thread.
# 8
TheGenerus1
Old 13-08-2012, 2:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

[QUOTE=rodsbaby;55061631]Never in a million years dreamt I would get my money back , but this is the address to send your claim too, definitely will get dealt with , good luck

How long did monument take to process your claim?

Thanks.
# 9
TheGenerus1
Old 28-08-2012, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just got a reply letter back from Monument saying that they looked into my claim and are not refunding me the PBP as I made a claim on it, therefore considered that I was not mis-sold the product.

I opened the account in 2003 and was sold the PPI then. I was made redundant in 2005 for which I made the claim. I phoned them up a few months later to stop the claim (ending the Payment break plan) as I was employed again and asked for my account to be closed (I would then pay the balance down every month till it was payed off, interest still being charged).

I thought that seeing as I ended the Payment break claim by continuing to pay monthly payments and closing down the account, that they would have to resell me the Payment Break plan again as I already claimed and stopped claiming once I was employed again.

Instead the PBP was automatically put back every month for six years.

Should they have asked me whether I wanted the PBP again are are they entitled to just add it back on without my consent?

Can anybody give any advice where I stand on this.

They say I have six weeks to reply them with a dispute.

Thanks
# 10
tomsco
Old 28-08-2012, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenerus1 View Post
Just got a reply letter back from Monument saying that they looked into my claim and are not refunding me the PBP as I made a claim on it, therefore considered that I was not mis-sold the product.

I opened the account in 2003 and was sold the PPI then. I was made redundant in 2005 for which I made the claim. I phoned them up a few months later to stop the claim (ending the Payment break plan) as I was employed again and asked for my account to be closed (I would then pay the balance down every month till it was payed off, interest still being charged).

I thought that seeing as I ended the Payment break claim by continuing to pay monthly payments and closing down the account, that they would have to resell me the Payment Break plan again as I already claimed and stopped claiming once I was employed again.

Instead the PBP was automatically put back every month for six years.

Should they have asked me whether I wanted the PBP again are are they entitled to just add it back on without my consent?

Can anybody give any advice where I stand on this.

They say I have six weeks to reply them with a dispute.

Thanks
Although I do not know the specific laws in regards to PPI, as far as other forms of insurance go, you don't stop being insured when you make a claim (ie. car insurance/car crash). You informed them when your claim period was over, so they reinstated the premiums.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomsco For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
TheGenerus1
Old 29-08-2012, 12:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsco View Post
Although I do not know the specific laws in regards to PPI, as far as other forms of insurance go, you don't stop being insured when you make a claim (ie. car insurance/car crash). You informed them when your claim period was over, so they reinstated the premiums.
Thanks for your input.

I do hope this is not the case though and hoped that any claims and closures of a claim would nulify that insurance. Then a new insurance plan would have to be signed for if I wanted to take out the plan again to cover me if the reduncy etc should ever happened again.
# 12
Sel76.2006
Old 15-11-2012, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello, has any one been able to claim money back from this company? I had a Monument credit card around 2002. I no longer do and would like to claim my PPI back. However, I do not have any details as I lost it all in the floods. Please help..How can I find out to claim back without an account number. I have also been told Monument has closed and I cannot get money back. Cheers.
# 13
TheGenerus1
Old 16-11-2012, 1:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sel76.2006 View Post
Hello, has any one been able to claim money back from this company? I had a Monument credit card around 2002. I no longer do and would like to claim my PPI back. However, I do not have any details as I lost it all in the floods. Please help..How can I find out to claim back without an account number. I have also been told Monument has closed and I cannot get money back. Cheers.
I have read on other forums about people who have successfully claimed from Monument.

If I were you, I would call them up and give them your details like name and postcode so that they can pull up your details.
They should then be able to give you your account number which you will need if you want to fill out the template claim back form.

Explain your situation with the flooding and that you require the account number so that you can tally up the account with your credit file. I say this because they may be hesitant to give out that info to you if they know you are using the account number to make a claim from them.

As the account was opened a decade ago, they may have to manually look for paperwork relating to your account. If your account was active still in 2006\2007, then you may be still on their computer systems.

Either way, they may not give you the account number over the phone and instead will send it to the accounts address listed on their systems. (assuming you live at the same address the card was registered to).

Monument Customer Services Contact Number - 0870-333-5487
Address can be found in my or Rodsbaby posts above as well as were to find the template Monument claim back form you need to send to that address if your to make a claim.

Hope this helps

Last edited by TheGenerus1; 16-11-2012 at 1:46 AM.
# 14
gailr
Old 25-11-2012, 7:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Monument

Hi, i don't know if you know but LLoydstdb took over monument so they should be able to find your details.