Best value used car warranty

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 5 July 2012 at 8:00AM in Motoring
Just bought a used 2004 citroen c8 auto diesel with lots of electrical gizmos so I'm thinking I should get a used car warranty.
I've a quote from Warranty Direct for £298 for their top cover.

Does that seem reasonable and are they a good company?
Can you recommend alternatives?

I'll be doing around 12000 miles a year.

Oh and no comments about buying french, I like French cars!

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lots of reviews on the Honestjohn site here for waarinty direct-

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86213

Here is an example of how they get out out of paying out-

"I have taken a look at your claim and the reasons we gave for the initial rejection were based on the observations of an independant qualified engineer.

The engineer confirmed there had been a failure (he found it was due to that the oil seals and main central shaft bearing within the turbo) and stated this failure was down to wear and tear. HOWEVER this failure had been further aggravated by the vehicle being driven on - hence it "blew into bits".

It was believed that the fault would have been present at the time of inception of the policy and would certainly have been manifesting itself within the first 90 days of the policy. This was the reason for the initial rejection.

As you mentioned previously you were unhappy with this decision and spoke to the complaints department here. They agreed that the problem was a wear and tear issue but due to the fact that there was no explicit evidence to prove that there had been a concern within the first 90 days we agreed to consider the turbo as the fault had occurred outside the 90 days (the 98th day).

If I am correct you believe that damage done to your intercooler should have been covered. The turbo's oil seals failed (resulting in the bearings seizing and it blowing to bits!) which in turn contaminated the intercooler. If you look at p9 section 13 failure of insured or uninsured parts due to contamination is not covered.

You should have already been made aware of all of this. We believe we have been fair thus far with your claim based on the facts we have seen."
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just bought a used 2004 citroen c8 auto diesel with lots of electrical gizmos so I'm thinking I should get a used car warranty.

Does that seem reasonable and are they a good company?
    Can you recommend alternatives?

I'll be doing around 12000 miles a year.

Oh and no comments about buying french, I like French cars!

Good luck trying to fit 12000 miles in whilst it spends most of the year at your local garage ;)

Wifes family love french cars, they have the grande espace and a cabrio meganne. They also have more money than sense.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a fan of good vehicle warranties (unlike many people on MSE) but at 8 years old, the cost of a warranty will be going up and the parts and incidences covered will be getting less and less, so you really need to consider whether it's worth buying a warranty rather than putting the money into a savings account.

These posts might help
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3084630&page=4
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3811663
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stick some money into a savings account to buy a cheap run about just in case the worse happens.

As above the chances of a warranty paying out on a car that age is low.

What is not worn on an 8 year old car? Thats what they will play on.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cars these days have a design life of around 7 years after which components will start to fail. Your car is now in the early stages of becoming a banger.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Expect a few phone calls from them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport