Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 21st May 12, 8:09 PM
    • 834Posts
    • 87Thanks
    mark_steps
    SKY Magic Eye
    • 21st May 12, 8:09 PM
    SKY Magic Eye 21st May 12 at 8:09 PM
    Hey guys,
    I have heard about this and thought i could give it a try. I have SKY in the Living room and if i get Sky Magic eye, i still need to run a cable to the bedroom correct?
    Is there a way to do this wirelessly?
    So basically by doing this if say the OH is in the livingroom watching sky sports and i am in the bedroom, i can change the tv to watch say sky living in the bedrrom and thats what he will see in the livingroom??
Page 1
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 21st May 12, 8:14 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    • 21st May 12, 8:14 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:14 PM
    Using the standard Sky magic eye you need to run a length of Coax this will cost around £12.00 in materials.

You could use senders and receivers to do the same thing wireless-ly, including HD if you wish, obviously with far greater materials cost.

Both sets will show the same picture.
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 21st May 12, 8:18 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    • 21st May 12, 8:18 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:18 PM
    Using the standard Sky magic eye you need to run a length of Coax this will cost around £12.00 in materials.

You could use senders and receivers to do the same thing wireless-ly, including HD if you wish, obviously with far greater materials cost.

Both sets will show the same picture.
    Originally posted by Kurtis_Blue
    Wireless sounds much better! haha im useless at attatching the "bits" to the coaxing haha....I have old coaxing (cable) that we used for the old Virgin setup. could i use this cable or does it need to be a certain one?
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 21st May 12, 8:21 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    • 21st May 12, 8:21 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:21 PM
    Wireless sounds much better! haha im useless at attatching the "bits" to the coaxing haha....I have old coaxing (cable) that we used for the old Virgin setup. could i use this cable or does it need to be a certain one?
    Originally posted by mark_steps
    That cable will be fine.
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 21st May 12, 8:24 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    • 21st May 12, 8:24 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:24 PM
    Seen it on Tesco Direct for £22.97 where i get the magic eye and another remote. I have a sky plus box. Is that ok priced?
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 21st May 12, 8:30 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    • 21st May 12, 8:30 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:30 PM
    No.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-SKY-PLUS-REMOTE-REV-8-BLACK-GLOBAL-MAGIC-EYE-/270844678576?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Remote Controls&hash=item3f0f99d1b0
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 21st May 12, 8:36 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    pawlala
    • 21st May 12, 8:36 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:36 PM
    I have magic eye in 3 rooms, all fed via outside coax from the sky box in 4th room. Get a spare remote, it will make things much easier than moving it around the house!
    Mortgage free: New Year's Eve 2013!
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 21st May 12, 8:37 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    • 21st May 12, 8:37 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:37 PM
    So the link above you, you recomend? The only thing with this...is i have to watch whatever is being shown in the living room, ie we cant both watch diferent shows...
  • djohn2002uk
    • 21st May 12, 8:38 PM
    • 21st May 12, 8:38 PM
    You can get them here for £10.99 with free postage. Magic eye + New genuine Sky Remote.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-SKY-PLUS-REMOTE-REV-8-BLACK-GLOBAL-MAGIC-EYE-/270844678576?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Remote Controls&hash=item3f0f99d1b0
    Too late. Same place as Kurtis.
    Last edited by djohn2002uk; 21-05-2012 at 8:40 PM.
  • djohn2002uk
    So the link above you, you recomend? The only thing with this...is i have to watch whatever is being shown in the living room, ie we cant both watch diferent shows...
    Originally posted by mark_steps
    You can't do that anyway without Multi Room at £10+ / month.
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 21st May 12, 8:53 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    pawlala
    Assuming you are on here with a computer and an internet connection, use SkyGo through your online account to watch something different.
    Mortgage free: New Year's Eve 2013!
    • macman
    • By macman 22nd May 12, 8:58 AM
    • 40,036 Posts
    • 16,194 Thanks
    macman
    If you want Sky Living and he wants Sky Sports, it's gonna be war!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • spike7451
    I've found that those particular magic eyes are rubbish & break easily.Reason is the square bit plugs directly into the back of the TV,If the TV is in a confined space & protrudes past the back of the TV,it's very easy to break the soldered contacts connecting the female or male belling ports to the circuit board inside.On 95% of service calls I went to at Sky involving magic eyes,that was the problem.
    You're far better off going for these type;

The first one uses an F type connection instead of a belling on the circuit block,which is better as the's less chance of it pulling off.These are the ones I use.

The second one uses the normal male & female Belling connections;

On both of the above,the cable end connects to the TV.
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 22nd May 12, 10:03 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    Couldn't agree more, casing also split open if some one tugs the cable, personally I go for these:

http://www.antiference.co.uk/me-remotelink-sensors
  • spike7451
    Couldn't agree more, casing also split open if some one tugs the cable, personally I go for these:

http://www.antiference.co.uk/me-remotelink-sensors
    Originally posted by Kurtis_Blue
    Yup,they're the ones I use in my flat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,806Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter