Insurance, chinese takeaway deliveries

Options
malkyh
malkyh Posts: 1,085 Forumite
Apologies if this is the wrong section.

I am thinking about taking on a Sat evening job delivering chinese take aways. I have spoken to my insurance company who have added business class 1 to my policy. I probed the agent on the phone as to whether this definately covered delivering take aways, and after going back and forward to his supervisor confirmed that:

as long as you receive a set amount per night, plus the delivery charge is only to cover petrol and wear and tear to the car i.e not £5 or £10 a delivery, and that the customer does not get their delivery free of charge if it's late (which may encourage speeding) then Business 1 will cover me.

However, I'm still not convinced as I thought takeaway driving required Business Class 3, which my insurer does not offer.

Can anyone (takeaway drivers would be an added bonus) confirm what level of insurance I would need to deliver chinese meals.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rodenal
    rodenal Posts: 831 Forumite
    Options
    You're worrying far too much - the fact you've shown intent to insure properly and have confirmed with a company representative that they believe to have added the correct cover on means you'll be fine.

Pretty unlikely you'll ever even have to state what exactly you were doing (i.e on road x car pulled out infront of me, [STRIKE]whilst on way to delivery customer[/STRIKE]) if in an accident tbh.
  • malkyh
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm concerned more about getting stopped by the police with a half dozen chinese meals in the back seat than having an accident and having to explain to the insurance company where I was when the accident occurred. I've heard some horror stories about delivery drivers being stopped and fined/points added etc
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    malkyh wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm concerned more about getting stopped by the police with a half dozen chinese meals in the back seat than having an accident and having to explain to the insurance company where I was when the accident occurred. I've heard some horror stories about delivery drivers being stopped and fined/points added etc

As long as your insurance company add business use to the database you'll be fine.
  • malkyh
    Options
    Thanks, I have had them add business class 1 and will be receiving amended policy documents in the post.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You need a better insurance company. Business Class 1 is for ferrying yourself or others to or from places of business, not delivering goods!
    At a minimum it should be Class 2 and I'd strongly suspect that for multi-drop food deliveries it should be 3.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    The insurer appears to have covered the type of delivery, and asked enough questions to be able to understand the risk they're covering. If I was the op I would write with a summary of the conversation, with a confirmation of the details as advised, and the acceptance of the advice that the insurance would be suitable. Send it recorded, and keep a copy, and a print out of when it's signed for.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    get it confirmed in writing..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • malkyh
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    malkyh wrote: »
    as long as you receive a set amount per night, plus the delivery charge is only to cover petrol and wear and tear to the car i.e not £5 or £10 a delivery, and that the customer does not get their delivery free of charge if it's late (which may encourage speeding) then Business 1 will cover me.
    /QUOTE]

Do you comply with this fully?

Have they also added your part time occupation as something along the lines of "Fast food delivery"
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rodenal wrote: »
    Pretty unlikely you'll ever even have to state what exactly you were doing (i.e on road x car pulled out infront of me, [STRIKE]whilst on way to delivery customer[/STRIKE]) if in an accident tbh.

Where I used to live, the police would set up a road block to pull over fast food delivery drivers (Especially the mopeds) on random nights. They thoroughly checked documentation and the vehicles and frequently impounded vehicles / mopeds.

The employers should be checking the employee has correct insurance and the relevant licence
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure