IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Last Share you Bought?
Views: 25,602
# 41
melbury
Old 21-04-2012, 2:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokolo View Post
Did you sell in time?
No, I still have the certificate which presumably is now completely worthless.

Still trying to decide whether to buy Sainsbury, Morrison or Vodafone shares, just want some decent dividend income from a company that won't vanish into thin air
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 42
sabretoothtigger
Old 21-04-2012, 3:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sabretoothtigger Send a message via AIM to sabretoothtigger Send a message via Yahoo to sabretoothtigger

Just buy the ftse, they all in it. If you cant decide when to buy its even harder to sell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Poles Hartley
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
Quote:
Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to London in 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to sabretoothtigger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
Thrugelmir
Old 21-04-2012, 3:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretoothtigger View Post
Just buy the ftse, they all in it. If you cant decide when to buy its even harder to sell
FTSE isn't what what it was. Highly concentrated. With companies getting listings that have very illiquid numbers of shares in circulation.
"Bull-markets are born on pessimism, grow on scepticism, mature on optimism and die on euphoria."
# 44
sabretoothtigger
Old 21-04-2012, 3:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sabretoothtigger Send a message via AIM to sabretoothtigger Send a message via Yahoo to sabretoothtigger

http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/ftse.php

For most people index is better. Buying individual shares is for nutters who think they Gordon Gecko tbh The people who drive the market are in a trading business that can write off losses, we cant do that

Big shares mostly bounce back and forth, then one day they sell off (before market open) and you wonder why. Next week you find out the CEO wrecked the pension fund and thats it, you didnt get any special growth

Why would you think your research on a blue chip is better then a guy spending 40 paid hours to calculate that and he can write off his mistakes.
Its possible and theres luck but just getting one share is mostly a delusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB53 View Post
Here's a link to a write-up on the Motley Fool from January

http://boards.fool.co.uk/nfsc-2012-d...-12457894.aspx
I own CREE who make great torches if you see one. The problem is we dont walk round with torches, the business is about fixed lighting and its not LED (yet)

Japan said they'd take some to reduce power draw, all their Oxford street type displays. It is partly a play on high energy costs justifying the expense of change over, LED requires separate power circuit and/or transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
P/E of 35, youch! I usually get put off by anything over 15
High growth, steady business is more simple to value. What PE is a company that only makes losses, that describes most of AIM but they have value and solid assets even but are essentially insolvent.
Check out CNR, billions of gold, zero profit potential near term - 1000 PE (cheap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ View Post
Excellent company, they charge me 1.20 for what equates to a 20 minute walk into town, Arriva charge 2.20 for the same journey, needless to say that Arriva never get any of my business
Glad to hear it, hopefully they can survive higher fuel prices and be efficient enough to beat cars, etc
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 21-04-2012 at 3:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabretoothtigger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
sho_me_da_money
Old 21-04-2012, 3:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Off course I know frig all about shares but I am in the technology industry and saw something recently that I beleive will be HUGE over the next few years.

Ever heard of Digital Domain Media Group anyone? DDMG. I'd like to jump on their bandwagon.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DDMG

Is that $7.55 for 1 share?

What do you you guys think of their track record?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

One
Love

Last edited by sho_me_da_money; 21-04-2012 at 4:10 PM.
# 46
srcandas
Old 21-04-2012, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_me_da_money View Post
Off course I know frig all about shares but I am in the technology industry and saw something recently that I beleive will be HUGE over the next few years.

Ever heard of Digital Domain Media Group anyone? DDMG. I'd like to jump on their bandwagon.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DDMG

Is that $7.55 for 1 share?

What do you you guys think of their track record?
The share price is in dollars so over $8 a share to buy. Will not be cheap to buy I believe due to spread and costs. But if you are in for a few thousand shares and if this is a punt for big gains then not the end all I guess.

Certainly interesting and thanks for sharing.

The last quarter report included-

The company said it took a $3.3 million hit from Legendary Pictures' decision to cancel Paradise Lost, a film Digital Domain was co-producing.

Which illustrates your high risk assessment but could be an interesting ride.

Purely amateur comment of course

Last edited by srcandas; 21-04-2012 at 4:26 PM.
# 47
sho_me_da_money
Old 21-04-2012, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcandas View Post
The share price is in dollars. Will not be cheap to buy I believe due to spread and costs. But if you are in for a few thousand shares and if this is a punt for big gains then not the end all I guess.

Certainly interesting and thanks for sharing.

The last quarter report included-

The company said it took a $3.3 million hit from Legendary Pictures' decision to cancel Paradise Lost, a film Digital Domain was co-producing.

Which illustrates your high risk assessment but could be an interesting ride.

Purely amateur comment of course
Can I not buy like 1000 worth of shares or doesnt it work like that?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

One
Love
# 48
srcandas
Old 21-04-2012, 4:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_me_da_money View Post
Can I not buy like 1000 worth of shares or doesnt it work like that?
You could give iii.co.uk a buzz on Monday and ask. There might be restrictions (minimum amounts for example) and the buying price is important. But best get it from a broker who can do the business.

Of course there are other brokers who will buy-sell US for you. Just iii are the one I have seen. I have no connection with them or even an account. But you can find DDMG on their site without an account if you want to have a look
# 49
sabretoothtigger
Old 22-04-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB53 View Post
The last share I bought was a top up of Dialight (DIA) @ 755p in Feb.
Robbie Burns is a fan and also Mark Slater who runs the Slater Growth fund - I think DIA is a top three holding for the fund.

A lot further to go imo.

Yea I just saw that, he is pretty good but he also knows when to sell.
Anything like this I'd want to take some profits on its way up
LED is a long story still to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Burns
And I've tried to take advantage of bad days to add more shares in companies where I'm already in a massive profit.

None more so than in Dialight (DIA) and I added to the recent spreadbet on them at around 700 by getting some more at 980. A SB as my ISA is stuffed with Dialight.

I have been patient all the way from 150p to the now tennerish and as those of you who have to my seminars have seen from my accounts my profits in real life are something like 90,000. For the website profits are more than 50,000 - and of course there have been dividends on top. A broker has put out a target price of 1400 for these but with a fair wind they could go further and with my big holding I would be happy to finally exit on a nice bid. How about 1800? It's lucky: it's in the right market at the right time. I remember buying these live at 150 at a seminar, wish I'd bought more then...

The other exciting thing about Dialight is if it keeps rising it could get into the FTSE 250 which would mean some funds would buy in for the first time and it would also get on the radar of the bigger funds.
Quote:
Quote:
# 50
Glen Clark
Old 23-04-2012, 9:31 AM

Red face

Last trade was about 2 months ago, 24k split equally between Tesco, Morrison & Sainsbury. currently made about 1k. But I am just as likely to pick losers as winners, so try to diversify. The only funds I hold are investment trusts with a good discount to net asset value. Because then the fund managers are a liability that is already priced into the shares. Buying investment trust shares at launch is a recipe for losing money.
# 51
sabretoothtigger
Old 09-05-2012, 2:40 PM

They deleted the Cadogan thread. Ukraine is too controversial to discuss apparently, bad investment you have been warned
As usual its doing nothing much despite the market turning dire

Last share I got today was Essar.
Quote:
Quote:
# 52
JoeCrystal
Old 09-05-2012, 6:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well... I want to buy into Auhua Clean Energy but alas, could not purchase it. Something about periodic auction call. Will keep on trying I guess.

So I bought Premier Gold Resources instead... I like these kind of companies.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I just bought Auhua Clean Energy, yay!

Cheers

Joe
Attempting to build Sustainable Portfolio with twenty new companies. Bought ACE, BSIF, EDEN, GOOD, GRPH, UKW, ONE, TRIG and VRS so far.

Last edited by JoeCrystal; 13-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.
# 53
owains
Old 09-05-2012, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
They deleted the Cadogan thread. Ukraine is too controversial to discuss apparently, bad investment you have been warned
I've given up trying to work out what's going on with CAD... it actually ticked up today! Just holding (at a loss) in the hope that something good will happen sometime.

Gold below $1600... anyone else buying?
# 54
CashStrappedTeen89
Old 09-05-2012, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

XEL a few weeks back at 104 hit a stop loss at 94 so waiting for 80-85 re-entry only invested 1.5k but still took a hit on that.
Any other recommendations would be nice at the moment lol.
# 55
sabretoothtigger
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Last trade was about 2 months ago, 24k split equally between Tesco, Morrison & Sainsbury. currently made about 1k. But I am just as likely to pick losers as winners, so try to diversify. The only funds I hold are investment trusts with a good discount to net asset value. Because then the fund managers are a liability that is already priced into the shares. Buying investment trust shares at launch is a recipe for losing money.

I took just Sainsbury but I sold most of them. I was thinking Tesco recently but only at 300 and its not really moving now

Quote:
J Sainsbury (SBRY) reported underlying pre-tax profits of 712 million pounds for the year ended 17th March 2012, 7.1% higher than in the previous year, on revenue growth of 6.8% to 24.5 billion pounds. The supermarket chain said that it outperformed the market, increasing its market share to 16.6%, with its own brand Taste the Difference and Basics ranges both showing growth. The group added that it achieved 100 million pounds of operational cost savings, bringing the total over the last five years to 600 million pounds. The shares gained 4p to 305.3p.
Quote:
Quote:
# 56
StevieJ
Old 12-05-2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:

Last share I got today was Essar.
It will be that plonker that was complaining, some people have got nothing better to do
Anyway, do you reckon that this news may impact the Cadogan share price, bearing in mind the Eni presence?

Quote:
A government source had told Reuters this week Anglo-Dutch Shell and Chevron of the United States were set to outbid Italy's Eni, Exxon Mobil and Russia's TNK-BP in the tender which Kiev sees as a step towards easing its dependence on Russian gas supplies.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...84A14320120511
Quote:
Man wants to be the king o' the rabbits he best wear a pair o' floppy ears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevieJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
gadgetmind
Old 13-05-2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Why would you think your research on a blue chip is better then a guy spending 40 paid hours to calculate that and he can write off his mistakes.
I buy blue chips (and down into the FTSE 250) for the yield. I buy good companies when the market has one of those real bad hair days. The only equities I've bought since last November have therefore been some private equity ITs, a European IT, and some infrastructure trusts and REITs.

I have some cash sitting on hand for the next time the FTSE 100 hits 5000, which will hopefully be over the summer. I have about six companies on my watch list and will buy in my usual 2k to 4k chunks.

Quote:
I own CREE who make great torches if you see one. The problem is we dont walk round with torches, the business is about fixed lighting and its not LED (yet)
I carry one with me at all times and it has a Cree emitter.
I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.

Last edited by gadgetmind; 13-05-2012 at 8:18 AM.
# 58
srcandas
Old 13-05-2012, 9:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Glad this came up again as I took a long time thinking on this one.

I concluded that I was asking myself the wrong question

The difference between an individual researching and buying shares, and a fund company investing client's money is much more than research.

The fund has to usually invest in a very limited world, limited by scope and rules. The fund cannot go to 100% cash even if the fund manager knows the market is in for a big fall. And the fund manager cannot react quickly to divi's and special events.

And while a fund company's research might be better than mine I can to a large degree see the results of their research by the holdings they have. Yes they might act on short notice research but in reality due to the portfolio required by the rules they have little scope for large short-term profits.

Of course there are things that the fund can do that I cannot: out of hours trading, special discounts.

However regarding expenses, dependent on my strategy my overall trading costs are more or less equal to a fund.

So I don't think the two are comparable. They are very different animals. Horses for courses

Having thought about it I now have more sympathy for fund managers. Perhaps I'll send Mr Bolton a cheque

But just my opinion

Last edited by srcandas; 13-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.
# 59
Lokolo
Old 13-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcandas View Post
However regarding expenses, dependent on my strategy my overall trading costs are more or less equal to a fund.
I'm not quite sure you can assume this without knowing how much funds cost to trade?
You only live once so make the most of it!
# 60
srcandas
Old 13-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokolo View Post
I'm not quite sure you can assume this without knowing how much funds cost to trade?
lokolo perhaps I should have said the cost of investing.

So if I play with 20000 share trading with each pound going in and out within a year my costs are less than 2% with a generous spread allowance and including stamp duty. A fund TER is about the same.

So I don't see expenses coming into my decision of which strategy is best.