Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nutzieone
    Double Take Studios in Adminstration
    • 23rd Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Double Take Studios in Adminstration 23rd Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    My husband and I had photos done at Double Take Studios in London. We loved all the pictures so bought them all and also bought a package where we could have 2 more sessions. The cost was somewhere in the region of £3-£4K so we took out a loan for it where we are paying £100 a month. Obivously now they are in administration and we have the loand for photos we will never get taken. Is there any way to claim for product that we are paying for but will not recieve!?

Here is what their website says :----

Doubletake Studios Limited
    Was placed into administration on 15 November 2011
    The Company is no longer trading or able to honour any appointments
    The joint administrators are Philip Armstrong and Geoffrey Rowley of FRP Advisory LLP
    The Company has ceased to trade and will not be holding any further appointments. No penalty will be charged for non-attendance. The Company is not in a position to take any new orders or perform any further work.
    If you are awaiting delivery of photos, orders are being completed and it is anticipated that delivery should occur sometime before 9 December 2011. If you are on a payment plan, you are still legally responsible for paying outstanding amounts. All payments must remain in place. Failure to do so may result in legal action against you. Unfortunately orders which have been financed via Barclays or Ezi-Pay cannot be dispatched and have been cancelled. You should contact your bank and financier to discuss the termination of these arrangements.
    If you believe you are owed money by the Company you will be an unsecured creditor in the administration. There will not be sufficient monies available to repay creditors in full. However, if you paid by credit or VISA debit card you may be able to recover any money you have lost as a result of the administration. We would recommend you contact your card provider, providing them with a copy of the attached Notice of Appointment, to determine what assistance they can provide you. If you are unable to recover any money from your card provider you can still claim as a creditor in the administration, however as noted above the chance of you receiving any money back is uncertain.
    Any further queries should be directed to FRP Advisory LLP
    10 Furnival Street
    London
    EC4A 1YH

0203 005 4000
    cp.london@frpadvisory.com

I am going to write to the address at the end of the page to complain/ask what to do but wondered if anyone on MSE had any ideas or knew anything about how to deal wtih it? I have no qualms paying for the photos we had done but dont think I should have to continue paying for product I will now never recieve!!

Thanks!!
Page 1
  • ILW
    • 23rd Mar 12, 10:07 AM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 10:07 AM
    Was it a personal loan of a loan taken out through the sellers?
  • andymc29
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:09 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:09 PM
    I know it's a little late now. But this is a lesson in why you shouldn't take out loans for things you don't need.
    Bank Loans: £25000 £0- Barclay Card 14%: £2500 £0- Student Loan: £12,500 £0
    Current total £40,000 £0 (100% PAID OFF)
  • nutzieone
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:31 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:31 PM
    It was a loan provided by Barclays via the studio.

Yes you are right, a lesson learned but sometimes it feels good to do something nice for yourself! After being married 10 years and never having a proper wedding or anyting like what they do today at weddings we thought that for our 10th anniversary we would do this. We had a really tough year last year with my daughter being suicidal and husband cheating. All is better now with both issues and we just wanted to do this for ourselves. We didnt plan to buy all of the pictures but they were all so nice! Yes of course in hindsight it is something we didn't need but we all do that from time to time. And of course looking at it in hindsight I should have bought myself a new car and not pictures but not a lot I can do about that now.

If I knew i was going to get put down for doing it I wouldnt have bothered:- just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it or if it was possible to make a claim to the administrators.
  • nutzieone
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:33 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:33 PM
    I know it's a little late now. But this is a lesson in why you shouldn't take out loans for things you don't need.
    Originally posted by andymc29

I dont understand what your bouncing happy faces are going on about and the percentages and 0% paid off?

Sorry but that makes no sense!
  • KingElvis
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:46 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 1:46 PM
    Jeeeeezzzzz 4k for some photos? wow, were they devolped by a magical vole and the transported to you on a rare train set?

Christ on a bike, you could've bought yourself some top end SLR kit for that cash, given it to me and then I'd have taken your photo every week for the rest of eternity.

If they were charging such scandalous prices, wonder how they went bust?

Good luck but I guess you'll have to join the list of creditors and I doubt you'll see dollar one.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • Chrissiew
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:02 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:02 PM
    4k OMG for a bunch of photos, unbefkinleivable
    not all on benefits are scroungers and don't need to be bullied!
  • ILW
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:19 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:19 PM
    It was a loan provided by Barclays via the studio.

Yes you are right, a lesson learned but sometimes it feels good to do something nice for yourself! After being married 10 years and never having a proper wedding or anyting like what they do today at weddings we thought that for our 10th anniversary we would do this. We had a really tough year last year with my daughter being suicidal and husband cheating. All is better now with both issues and we just wanted to do this for ourselves. We didnt plan to buy all of the pictures but they were all so nice! Yes of course in hindsight it is something we didn't need but we all do that from time to time. And of course looking at it in hindsight I should have bought myself a new car and not pictures but not a lot I can do about that now.

If I knew i was going to get put down for doing it I wouldnt have bothered:- just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it or if it was possible to make a claim to the administrators.
    Originally posted by nutzieone
    Daft thing to do, but if the loan was tied in with the sale you should be OK to claim from the loan company if the contract was not fulfilled. Speak to the lender first and see what they say.
    • auntymabel
    • By auntymabel 23rd Mar 12, 2:31 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    auntymabel
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:31 PM
    • 23rd Mar 12, 2:31 PM
    I should think the majority of loans are taken out for things people don't need. The OP has nothing wrong, just made an unwise purchase. Humans tend to do unwise things and it's unfortunate that she's probably lost her money.
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 23rd Mar 12, 3:11 PM
    • 31,076 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    Tixy
    Depends on the finance agreement with barclays - but you'll probably be able to make a claim under section 75.

Do you have a breakdown invoice of the original amount? And if so how much were the photos and how much was for future photo shoots?

Talk to barclays about the situation and see what they say.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    • Vikipollard
    • By Vikipollard 23rd Mar 12, 7:42 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    Vikipollard
    My husband and I had photos done at Double Take Studios in London. We loved all the pictures so bought them all and also bought a package where we could have 2 more sessions. The cost was somewhere in the region of £3-£4K so we took out a loan for it where we are paying £100 a month.

If you are awaiting delivery of photos, orders are being completed and it is anticipated that delivery should occur sometime before 9 December 2011. If you are on a payment plan, you are still legally responsible for paying outstanding amounts. All payments must remain in place. Failure to do so may result in legal action against you. Unfortunately orders which have been financed via Barclays or Ezi-Pay cannot be dispatched and have been cancelled. You should contact your bank and financier to discuss the termination of these arrangements.
    Originally posted by nutzieone
    So have you actually paid for the original photos or was that part of the package of 3 sessions?

The bit in red suggests you need to keep paying for stuff you've had, but the bit in blue says to contact the bank & financier regarding termination of arrangements they cant now fulfil.

From a purely outsider's point of view (and having absolutely no idea of the actual legalities here), it reads as if you pay for the session you had plus the photos you received, but should be able to cancel the remainder of the amount.

But I have no expertise here...just the way I read it.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 ..
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250, Aug 17 28974
    • pvt
    • By pvt 24th Mar 12, 8:02 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    If I'm understanding it correctly, the administrator's statement advises the OP to contact Barclays.

So my advice to you would be to contact Barclays.

If Barclays won't refund what you have lost then come back here and lots of people will give you advice about how to get your money back from them - but I suspect they'll refund you and you won't need to.
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
  • soobroo
    Did you resolve this, I have just stumbled across this thread whilst googling Doubletake. I have just received a text from them saying it is my last chance to buy all photos from them before they are deleted. I had my photos done in November 2010 and also they are offering me FOUR PHOTOSHOOT VOUCHERS worth £356 !!! YEAH RIGHT !
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 22nd Sep 12, 11:02 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    RichL74
    Delivery should be before 9 December 2011???

Edit: ah, old thread
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Sep 12, 1:39 PM
    • 30,131 Posts
    • 19,070 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Cant understand why people would pay thousands when they could pay less than that way less than the 4k and use an independant 1 man band to do the photos. My mum got some done as she knew someone who was doing photography as a job (for a newspaper i think or going SE for weddings etc) and cost £100 for a number of shots and put onto disc and they look good too.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
  • mummy_1986
    we are having some photos done of our boys done for christmas and we are getting 30-40 photos on a disc for £75 plus a £25 sitting fee
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 22nd Sep 12, 2:57 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    I know this is an old thread, but...

I actually feel the OP was spoken to pretty harshly and that isn't something I would normally say.

It sounded like they had, had a real bad year and wanted to do something to cheer themselves up as a family. Fair enough a lot of money, but all they generally got was remarks about being a waste of money.

Shame.
    • geoffky
    • By geoffky 22nd Sep 12, 4:08 PM
    • 6,602 Posts
    • 9,241 Thanks
    geoffky
    4k for photos is just taking the proverbial.. The most i would spend is a tenner on a memory card for my £90 camera...Absolute madness..
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
    • 27col
    • By 27col 23rd Sep 12, 10:43 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    27col
    Quite how does getting yourself £4k into unnecessary debt contribute to cheering yourself up?
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
    • jumpedtheshark
    • By jumpedtheshark 23rd Sep 12, 3:13 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    jumpedtheshark
    Quite how does getting yourself £4k into unnecessary debt contribute to cheering yourself up?
    Originally posted by 27col
    The OP didn't come here asking for judgment. They were obviously comfortable deciding to spend that money in the first place, and just wanted help to resolve the issue that had since arisen. How does judging them help them? It doesn't. I'm sure they've learnt any lessons that are there to be learnt and don't need to be preached at.

Just because this is a money saving website doesn't mean that everyone that doesn't buy the cheapest of everything deserves to be treated with scorn.... something that seems to happen on too many threads, not just this one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

619Posts Today

5,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin