Fedex, Shiping to Japan, Heavy goods, Do I have to find a depot ??

Options
Jane_gs
Jane_gs Posts: 212 Forumite
edited 23 March 2012 at 10:55AM in Consumer rights
I wil be posting Heavy goods to Japan, using Fedex..

EDIT: A BUYER in Japan is buying them from me.

They are vynll records..... heavy too (15 kg)

My question is:
Do i have to go to a local Fedex Depot (ready packed) and get them to ship them to the adderss? and I pay them?

or do Fedex collect these?

(I am also asking about DHL)

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FedEx will collect from you - or you save a couple of quid by dropping it off.

Define heavy?
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FedEx will collect. Just make sure that the box is sturdy and the contents securely packed. You will need to provide the weight, box size in cm and the value. It will be expensive. DHL is the same procedure.
  • Jane_gs
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    FedEx will collect from you - or you save a couple of quid by dropping it off.

Define heavy?

ammended.....its15kg
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget you will also be (probably) liable for any duty as they enter Japan also, so you need to leave your credit card details with FedEx/DHL. Oh, and remember they will also add a clearence fee most likely - about a tenner - for them to manage your package through customs.

It can be horribly expensive, so nake sure you take out the scratched-up Zeppelin and re-buy it new when you arrive!
  • Jane_gs
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Don't forget you will also be (probably) liable for any duty as they enter Japan also, so you need to leave your credit card details with FedEx/DHL. Oh, and remember they will also add a clearence fee most likely - about a tenner - for them to manage your package through customs.

It can be horribly expensive, so nake sure you take out the scratched-up Zeppelin and re-buy it new when you arrive![/QUOTE]
    How can i find the amount of these Custom charges ?
    Can they tell on the phone?
    It can be horribly expensive, so nake sure you take out the scratched-up Zeppelin and re-buy it new when you arrive!

What do you mean by this?

I basically want a list of ALL the hidden charges...
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think paddy was probably assuming that you are moving to Japan yourself and are shipping records that you will pick up when you arrive - and that therefore it's not worth paying shipping and duty costs for an album in poor condition, cheaper to buy a CD when you get there. Of course, we have no idea whether you are moving, or if you are shipping them for some other reason.
  • Jane_gs
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I think paddy was probably assuming that you are moving to Japan yourself and are shipping records that you will pick up when you arrive - and that therefore it's not worth paying shipping and duty costs for an album in poor condition, cheaper to buy a CD when you get there. Of course, we have no idea whether you are moving, or if you are shipping them for some other reason.

I am shippin them to a Buyer from Japan....who I am selling them to.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Then make the BUYER sort out all the FedEx paperwork, put their card on the account, etc., so they can get hit by the customs and clearence charges. You won't know the duty, charges etc and exchange rates that will be billed back to the card until maybe a month after the buyer has the goods, so don't get involved. Just give the buyer your address and ask them to arrange their own courier.

I have known people get caught out by this, where a package is sent to the US, the buyer receivs the goods, the FEDEX hit you for another $50 as the buyer has vanished - don't get involved!
  • Jane_gs
    Options
    Then make the BUYER sort out all the FedEx paperwork, put their card on the account, etc., so they can get hit by the customs and clearence charges. You won't know the duty, charges etc and exchange rates that will be billed back to the card until maybe a month after the buyer has the goods, so don't get involved. Just give the buyer your address and ask them to arrange their own courier.

I have known people get caught out by this, where a package is sent to the US, the buyer receivs the goods, the FEDEX hit you for another $50 as the buyer has vanished - don't get involved!

Is there any way to Find out the Charge for this Customers? and Clearnance rates, BEFORE the parcel is parcelled/ or before it is given to Fedex ?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The shipper is ALWAYS responsible for all charges for the shipment if the recipient refuses to accept them, but the shipment can also be disposed of if the fees payment cannot be agreed.

Its not just FedEx who do this, other express courier do the same.
    If the recipient in Japan is paying for shipping are they providing you with the Account number to bill at FedEx?

To find out the duties and taxes in advance you could call the Japanese embassy in London to ask for their advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure