Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > Parking Eye charge at Morrisions Stratford (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking Eye charge at Morrisions Stratford
Closed Thread
Views: 8,935
# 1
MoZaman
Old 17-02-2012, 7:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking Eye charge at Morrisions Stratford

I received a penalty notice from Parking Eye yesterday for parking at the Morrison’s in Stratford and not buying a ticket. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt from Morrison either. I was just waiting from my wife to return and was sitting in the car for half an hour. I had no knowledge that someone will be using CCTV images in a private car park and issuing a fine.
In my case I deliberately did not buy a ticket. The charge notice they sent only shows a picture of me driving into the car park and one leaving. I suspect they have other pictures which show no ticket displayed on car.
They have offered me to pay £50 by end of the month. Should I ignore them? Do they have any remote chances of pursuing me for not buying a ticket?
Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

# 2
AltheHibby
Old 17-02-2012, 8:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They will not pursue you. In any case, if your Morrisons is like my local one you did not cost them anything as any ticket was fully refundable in store.

Repeat this mantra while waiting for the kettle to boil: I will ignore Parking Spy. Then make a nice, strong cup of tea and read the stickies at the top of the forum. The Watchdog one shows you how to enjoy yourself with their paper.

Whatever you do, don't reply for any reason short of any official court papers arriving. Which is about as likely as Celtic bailing Rangers out of their PAYE arrears.

Last edited by AltheHibby; 17-02-2012 at 9:43 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltheHibby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
bondy lad
Old 17-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

firstly you have not, i repeat not recieved a penalty charge notice,,a penalty charge notice is legit and you have to pay,though can appeal,,,,,what you have recieved is a ,,parking charge notice,,which has no legal backing whatsoever,,nothing can/will be done to you as a result of recieving,,an unenforceable invoice which equates to loo paper,, so do now with it what you usually do with loo paper,,oh yes, you will however recieve various threat o grams through the post on or behalf of parking spy/lie/eye, whatever you prefer to call them,,the advice is simple,,,,,ignore absolutely everything you recieve,despite silly/useles/idol threats nothing can be done, whether you paid to park or not(though we do advocate paying to park) so relax, feet up, fa cup week end,glass of wine, do the lottery etc etc.remember,,,,IGNORE.do however, inform the manager of morrisons that you will take your business elswhere as a result of pe and ask him/her how many other complaints have they had,,takings will go down and you mr manager may lose your job.

Last edited by bondy lad; 17-02-2012 at 10:07 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bondy lad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
AlexisV
Old 17-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would ignore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexisV For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Kite2010
Old 17-02-2012, 9:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Most likely when you pay you would have to enter your registration number into the machine, the CCTV only covers the entrances & exits.

And IIRC isn't that the store where Parking Eye tried to charge the Park and Ride Buses which went around to the bus stop at the front of the store?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
AltheHibby
Old 18-02-2012, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Kite 2010 Seriously? That's as bad as when TFL sent proof to an Edinburgh company that their vehicle had been spotted in a London bus lane. They got a video in return proving that it had at the time been in an Edinburgh bus lane, but that was okay as it was an Edinburgh bus!

Last edited by AltheHibby; 18-02-2012 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Spoll chicken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltheHibby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
HO87
Old 18-02-2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoZaman View Post
I received a penalty notice from Parking Eye yesterday for parking at the Morrison’s in Stratford and not buying a ticket. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt from Morrison either. I was just waiting from my wife to return and was sitting in the car for half an hour. I had no knowledge that someone will be using CCTV images in a private car park and issuing a fine.
In my case I deliberately did not buy a ticket. The charge notice they sent only shows a picture of me driving into the car park and one leaving. I suspect they have other pictures which show no ticket displayed on car.
They have offered me to pay £50 by end of the month. Should I ignore them? Do they have any remote chances of pursuing me for not buying a ticket?
Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.
As has already been said - repeatedly - you have not been fined and nor have you received a penalty notice. No private company, least of all ParkingEye, has the authority under statute law to fine anyone.

What you have been sent is simply an invoice. An "invitation to settle", in strict legal terms, a breach of contract that ParkingSpy allege you committed by not abiding by their rules designed to enable them to make a considerable living by "farming" car parks. They can pursue you, quite properly, for their reasonable losses but even in a P&D car park that will amount to the cost of a ticket that would have covered your stay. Their use of a "discount period" (that coincidentally mirrors Penalty Charge Notices issued by local Councils) makes a mockery of the suggestion that they are asking just for their losses and their sizeable profit - derived substantially from car park "farming" gives the lie to it.

Car park "farming" is about minimum investment and maximising returns. There will be a pair of cameras at the entrance and the exit to enable PE to create a log of vehicles that have entered and left. They then compare the log to the P&D ticket machine records (or simply against a time limit in the case of their so-called "free" car parks). Et voila, a seemingly idiot-proof list of vehicles that didn't have tickets. Except, who gets their registration number right every time? Who knows that they have to enter it in the first place? All this is done remotely in their offices in Chorley.

There will be no other CCTV images of vehicles without tickets so you have nothing to worry about on that score.

As with any unsolicited invoice you have a choice not to pay it. The advice here, based on the way in which these companies operate, is simply to ignore them. File the letter (and the others you will receive) and just get on with your life. After a while the letters will stop and that will be that.

They could take you to court but that costs considerable amounts of time and money (Around £5,000 last time they tried it in Manchester and the judge refused their costs even though they technically won). That time and money is, from their profit-driven perspective, far better invested in chasing other innocent dupes who will simply pay up.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
This week Matthew, I'm going to be - Gary Osner, soon not to be of Roxburghe UK Ltd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HO87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MoZaman
Old 20-02-2012, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks to every one for their advice and support. I will be steadfast in my refusal to pay......
The Following User Says Thank You to MoZaman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
vax2002
Old 20-02-2012, 12:39 PM

a scam that impersonates authority, study the impersonation bit and you will find what you have is a invitation to pay a invoice.
My advice, reject the invitation, keep your money, completely ignore them, find a child to demonstrate how IGNORING works, copy them.
Get ready for changes in character during the impersonation, fake court threats, fake solicitors, fake debt collectors, fake phone calls from fake debt collectors.
All to go with the fake parking ticket they gave you, from a fake authority company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
give them FA
Old 20-02-2012, 2:58 PM
PPR

Ignore. Do not pay. End of.
The Following User Says Thank You to give them FA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cidergirl
Old 20-02-2012, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi
i use this car park all the time and my daughter works there , i have never seen any machines to pay ?
as far as i know they take photos when going in and out of the car park time you then send a notice through the post , did you get yours there and then ?
i once had a parking eye fine from the coop on wales i ignored all 3 letters and heard no more
message me for more info if you need to
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cidergirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
AltheHibby
Old 20-02-2012, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mo,

Mrs theHibby has recently successfully ignored this mob. She is expecting another chance to do so soon as her car was driven around a car park they monitor for the grand time of 10 seconds as the driver wanted to see what the parking was like before they went back there for a meeting at a later date.

cidergirl,

I've thanked you despite you saying it was a fine! Repeat after me: it's an invoice, not a fine.

Good advice though.
The Following User Says Thank You to AltheHibby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
muckybutt
Old 20-02-2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
Mo,

Mrs theHibby has recently successfully ignored this mob. She is expecting another chance to do so soon as her car was driven around a car park they monitor for the grand time of 10 seconds as the driver wanted to see what the parking was like before they went back there for a meeting at a later date.

cidergirl,

I've thanked you despite you saying it was a fine! Repeat after me: it's an invoice, not a fine.

Good advice though.
Doubt mrs hibby would get a ticket for ten seconds, these muppets normally have a grace period of 5 - 10 mins to allow you the time to get a ticket or whatever, I use a parking spy monitored car park regularly and it has at least a ten min grace period
You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muckybutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
AltheHibby
Old 20-02-2012, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

MB,

I hope you're wrong as I would like the opportunity to post it here!
# 15
give them FA
Old 20-02-2012, 8:11 PM
PPR

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
# 16
hevaeyre
Old 21-02-2012, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking Eye (again)

Partner has first of the threatening letters...I'm telling him to ignore it after reading lots and lots of posts and websites/guidelines.

He's a little skittish about it - Will it be OK to ignore is what I want to know? He keeps thinking about paying it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hevaeyre For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Coupon-mad
Old 21-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevaeyre View Post
Partner has first of the threatening letters...I'm telling him to ignore it after reading lots and lots of posts and websites/guidelines.

He's a little skittish about it - Will it be OK to ignore is what I want to know? He keeps thinking about paying it.

Yes it will be OK to ignore it, letters and all. Did you both read the top thread 'PPC letters & threats' and see the Watchdog video there too?

If he hasn't seen the Watchdog clip sit him down and show it to him and then just tick off each templated threatogram letter that arrives which matches those shown in pics in the top thread. 'PPC snap', we call this game.

No crime has been committed, no CCJ will follow, no bailiff, no effect on credit rating. Just debt collector letters that pretend that all of that 'may' happen.

It won't, because there is no debt and this is just a scam that impersonates authority. They can't fine anyone, any more than I can!

I have also ignored a PPC fake PCN 4 years ago and my husband still thinks we 'got off it' because of some 'loophole on MSE'.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
give them FA
Old 21-02-2012, 11:34 PM
PPR

Are you the partner of the OP MoZaman? Thinking about paying it? We have noted his solemn promise that he will be steadfast in his refusal to pay. Please note, that in the event he goes back on this I will be sending him a nasty letter requiring him to pay me £150 for breaking his word to us all, as I will believe he is a soft touch...

Of course he should ignore it. Everyone else here does and no-one here has ever paid these scammers a penny. I have personally dumped over 80 tickets and I am still alive and well.

Read the story about the clampers who have all been sent to jail. These parking companies are just on the right side of the knife edge as regards legality, but they cannot and will not do anything other than write a series of letters before disappearing out of your lives for ever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to give them FA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
hevaeyre
Old 22-02-2012, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hiya, Thank you.

Nope not MoZaman's partner.

I have looked at all that and shown him the video (which I found really really funny actually), I was saying it's a load of bull anyway. (All before joining and posting).

I had an inkling about this - hence the have a look for some answers and coming across the posts on here and a few other forums. 23 mins over a 1hr 30 on a free car park - from entry to exit and about 10 mins of that was spent waiting to park! Pretty certain the real cost to PE is may £1, not a ridiculous £120/hr??

Thing is we always park carefully (seriously seen people block 3 bays before now!) and don't mind a couple of quid to park for a whole day, I'm the overly honest type of person and even I thought this company are taking the p!$$.

I'll make him a cool paper aeroplane when I get home!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hevaeyre For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
give them FA
Old 22-02-2012, 11:12 AM
PPR

correction, the real cost is a big fat ZERO as it's not even PE's land.

Well done, why is it the men always seem faint-hearted and the girls have the spirit? Tell him if he's a mouse you are going to dump him and find yourself a MAN.
The Following User Says Thank You to give them FA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread