IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
overwhelmed new member
Views: 165,284
# 1
Coco114
Old 16-02-2012, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up overwhelmed new member

This is my first visit and somehow it feels like a big step !
I am a, relatively new, single parent. Massively in debt .... I reckon I should have it all paid off by 2099 .... 
Your stories , helpful members & tips look like they may help me to begin the long process of sorting this mess out. Emotionally , finally in a good place , financially - it's dire !
But , I just wanted to say , your stories are all encouraging & it's given me the push I needed to start sorting this out !
Thanks x
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Aiming High
Old 16-02-2012, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello and welcome

It is daunting at first, I did nothing but read, read, plan, read and read a bit more with not a lot of doing to start with, but soon things fell into place. We're getting there and you will to.
You have to start to finish.

LBM - September 2011 ~ DEBT FREE July 2012
Debt Sept 2011: 11,276.05, July 2012: 0
VSP Challenge #69: 18.12
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Aiming High For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
JRsrule
Old 16-02-2012, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello and welcome from me, too !

Money is rarely easy, and debt is always difficult. You have made a big decision to deal with your debt and you will find so many good ideas on MSE. One of the first things I learned is that no matter how bad it seems, there's someone out there who has been there too (and maybe even worse) and the next thing I learned is that there's alot of really great folk here who are helpful, kind and generous with their ideas and inspiration. Welcome aboard

Good luck to you
x
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JRsrule For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Hovel lady
Old 16-02-2012, 8:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello and welcome to MSE

If you want any help with sorting out the debts etc post up a SOA (statement of affairs - link below) and we'll try to help.

http://makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hovel lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Coco114
Old 17-02-2012, 6:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you all so much - it's nice to know i am not on my own !
2 big steps already for me - for 3rd day in a row I have checked my bank balanc coming from someone who couldn't open a bank statement for 6 yrs that's a good feeling ! Also went out for milk but didn't have a penny on me - normal process ? Withdraw 20 and I would have just spent the rest & that thought made me cross ! So back to car & checked all nooks & crannies to find coins so I wouldn't have to take money out ..... I am now 3.00 up  2 weeks ago I would have been 20 down !!!
Babysteps ! Thanks again all if you - will look at PS at wknd x
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
abundant1972
Old 17-02-2012, 7:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi and welcome to the Forum... is great to have you here!!! Like you, I joined fairly recently and have got so much out of it!... Check in each day and try new challenges - it really helps... I get inspired by reading your posts also... I think if you can get (and stay) in an emotionally good place... the rest sort of follows on!... so well done for getting to that point... The foundations for a new life are in place... and every penny you save is like adding a brick to those foundations... building something new and solid just for you! Hugs x
Debt Free by October 31st 2014 : Remaining Debt = 1761.63/12,500 (86% Cleared)
1 Debt vs 100 Days : 624/2250.00 by 09th October

*** As my debt diminishes - the door to financial freedom opens that bit more ***
The August Fairwell # 23 : SFD =7/12 : Food/Spends =114.80/120 : Gym =5/12 Sessions
Payment a Day : 50.00 so far
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to abundant1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mavvymoo
Old 17-02-2012, 7:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Coco and firstly welcome and well done for your first post.

I am a newbie too and have had so much help and inspiration on these boards.

I found 21 unopened bank statements and dreaded going to the cash machine in case I was over the overdraft and couldn't get any money.

Those days have gone and I am on my way with major hiccups along the way but still trying and will get there.

So I wish you all the luck in the world and keep posting

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

#7 Make 10 a day Aug 446.24/310 YTD 3648.84
Earnings 2014 from surveys etc to date 247.90
WSC - 955.41/1378 2 Savers Club #7 =1590
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mavvymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
deeleybopper
Old 17-02-2012, 8:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi coco, mavymoo
Also a newbie. Sounds silly but the other forum I was most often on was about holidays abroad that I joined a while back to plan a holiday. But they were always buying something...not good for a fresh mindset.

I'd been a member on here but not used forum for just reading and inspiration till a month ago...so I totally agree with reading people's back stories and seeing their successes.

I love your tale of hunting round the car...mine needs a good clean out (kids mobile) so I might be inspired to do that today to find some loose change for my jar!!

Anyway new year new start new mindset with a few newbies to keep you company too! Good to have you on
Board!
2012 - DFW! taking positive steps forward, and it's only January! February

Feb nsd: 6/6
2 pot challenge: 5/50 where are they all?
VSP member#163 VSP 18.30/wk3
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deeleybopper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sickasachip13
Old 17-02-2012, 9:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi newbies,

Great to have you here. I'd say take some time, make a cuppa and sit down and start reading and learning. That's what I did at the start. As I read more I realised I wasn't alone as I had been feeling and not as useless as I'd feared. There is a an awful lot of knowledge and support to be had here and you will all contribute to that to - which is ACE!

Best of luck
SAAC
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sickasachip13 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Coco114
Old 17-02-2012, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All - good to know I am not the only one who is new to all this. I have noticed little changes already, like being 10 mins late for work today - I got in my car with my precious 3.00 ....... thinking its Friday and I would treat myself - then I got back out - went back and made porridge (I never normally eat breakfast) and made myself sandwiches to take with me. I am bound and determined to hang on to that 3.00 as long as I can
Am going to do my budget this weekend and also work out what I owe - not going to pretty, I am guessing at about 25,000 but will see.
One thing - what should I be realisticly allowing for a family of three and 3 cats, for groceries for a month ? i was thinking 300.00 but is that too much ?
Many thanks all xx
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
deeleybopper
Old 17-02-2012, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hey you inspired me too!
cleaned out the car and found 2.09! woohoo.
Gave 1 of it to DS as he helped with the hoovering - trying to encourage my two kids to be savers, they're doing really well with their own money boxes at the mo!
2012 - DFW! taking positive steps forward, and it's only January! February

Feb nsd: 6/6
2 pot challenge: 5/50 where are they all?
VSP member#163 VSP 18.30/wk3
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deeleybopper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Coco114
Old 17-02-2012, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Heres another one - went through old handbags , purses , coat pockets & under sofa cushions as well last night - it added 16.34 to my savings pot !! Bonus 
Happy hunting xx
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
purpleruby
Old 17-02-2012, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi coco and welcome to the board. I am a single parent too so know how hard that can be. I am looking to be debt free by the end of 2012 but struggle to make ends meet each month. It's a hard and long journey but stick around and we can do it
Debt free in 2012 - #117 1454.73/10813.21

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to purpleruby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Hovel lady
Old 17-02-2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco114 View Post
Hi All - good to know I am not the only one who is new to all this. I have noticed little changes already, like being 10 mins late for work today - I got in my car with my precious 3.00 ....... thinking its Friday and I would treat myself - then I got back out - went back and made porridge (I never normally eat breakfast) and made myself sandwiches to take with me. I am bound and determined to hang on to that 3.00 as long as I can
Am going to do my budget this weekend and also work out what I owe - not going to pretty, I am guessing at about 25,000 but will see.
One thing - what should I be realisticly allowing for a family of three and 3 cats, for groceries for a month ? i was thinking 300.00 but is that too much ?
Many thanks all xx
Hi Coco
Well done on making changes. The little ones really do add up.

Do you keep a spending diary? Best way of finding out where the money has gone.

Have you had a look at the OS (old style) board?
Lots of ideas there about making the pennies stretch particulary with regards to groceries.

Good luck with doing the budget x
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hovel lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question

Morning All
So following NS sat night , I supplied snacks from cupboard & friend brought the wine , this morning I have opened the dreaded "chuck post in here & don't look at it cupboard" ...wow don't know where to start to be honest !
Anyway , firstly this SOA will take a while as I have to work out what relates to what original debt but, one thing is beginning to worry me - whilst some of debt is mine - approx half is jt debt with my ex husband . I want to deal with it , but he has no intention (separation was not due to finances but I won't bore you all with that story!).
I am currently dealing with shelter ref : MRS. My ex has no intention of dealing with anything. What happens if I try to deal with jt debt & he refuses to get involved ? I am already paying (god knows how) 3/4 of mortgage & secured on my own - don't see why I should be entirely responsible for paying jt debts ! Not sure what to do here ?
Help ?!xx
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 9:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As a rough guide - I earn 30k ish - mortgage & secured is at approx 198k , current value approx 165k. Ex earns 38k & gives me 500.00 per month. His rent/bills is less than 1/2 my mortgage/loan - my bills are 600 per month & I feed clothe etc the 2 kids. I would love nothing better than to not have to take a penny from ex but sadly don't have luxury of that. My take home is 1800 ish and outgoings are 1600 approx - his are 2300 and 1000 Inc what he gives me. Somethings not quite right here !
Can I just deal with my half of a jt commitment ?
Xx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cpjackso
Old 19-02-2012, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Congrats on sitting down and going through everything - it will take a while but you will be much happier when you know that its being sorted.

A few initial questions/suggestions:

• Split the debts into your name, joint names and his name.
  • Is the mortgage in joint names?
  • And if so - what is the mortgage share, eg. is it a 50/50 split?
  • Do you still have joint credit cards with the ex?
Try to be accurate with your SOA and its also best if you can get the exact APRs for each card/loan etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cpjackso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Hovel lady
Old 19-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Hello
You say some of the debt is with your ex husband.
Was this not sorted out when you got divorced?

If the debts are in joint names and he won't pay you will be liable for the whole amount, this includes the mortgage if it is in joint names.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hovel lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
cpjackso
Old 19-02-2012, 10:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

(You probably want to look at this once you've determined what your debts are)

I'm presuming the money from the ex ISNT organised through the CSA? If not - would suggest the mortgage, the bills and the money for the kids are all separate issues which each need certain amounts of money in/out.

Mortgage

If 50/50 mortgage split of mortgage at 165k @ 3% - monthly will be 789.63. His share = 394.82.

Mortgage calculator here.

Bills

Depends on if ex lives with you or not?

Money for kids

Use the salary calculator here to determine his NET weekly pay (column = take home / weekly).

Then use the CSA calculator here to determine how much the CSA would award you. Times the number by 52 (weeks) then divide by 12 to get months. (dont just times by 4!!).

Then add Mortgage payment + if any for bills + money for kids.

Last edited by cpjackso; 19-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpjackso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
paulsad
Old 19-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Welcome to the club Coco! Some great people on here (as well as some that'll probably wind you up!) I've had some good help from parking fines to barbecue tips!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to paulsad For This Useful Post: Show me >>