halfords mot?

Options
I got my mot due next week I was going to take it to halfords but have been reading mixed reviews has anyone taken their car there?

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your best bet for an MOT is to take to a place that just does MOT's and nothing else. If your car fails take it to a good local independent to get the work done, then return it to the MOT station with in a week and they will finish the test.
    Halfrauds, Krap Fit etc "may" exaggerate the work (and cost) of anything that needs doing to pass it. A stand alone MOT station has no interest in doing this.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    We made the mistake of taking our car to Halfords for an MOT (it was free, otherwise we probably wouldn't have bothered with them).

The car failed (naturally being as it was Halfords) and we were quoted over a thousand pounds to sort it out (more than the car was actually worth). We took the list of "problems" away with us and got my dad to help sort it out. The only problem that needed doing cost a grand total of £50. The other "problems" were made up - one example is that they claimed that the rear brake cylinders needed replacing but they hadn't even taken the rear drums off and there wasn't a drop of brake fluid to be seen. I fail to see how they could diagnose such a problem without stripping it down unless they have x-ray vision and a crystal ball . . .

Took it to our local dealership, it went straight through the MOT.

I would never take another vehicle to Halfords.
  • KierNet
    KierNet Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not used them, but not heard anything good about them.
    What is pi? Where did it come from?
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't trust Halfords to fit a number plate yet alone perform an MOT. Reason? I had them fit a new set of number plates and the rear one quite literally kept falling off. Caused a hell of a row.

Interestingly Direct Liars whoops I mean Line, Direct Line have been sending out 50% off Halfords MOT vouchers lately. Needless to say I immediately saw that as a "We want to screw you over just like our mates at DL". Still, the shredder was getting hungry so I fed the vouchers to it :D
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ask anyone in the trade if they would have a halfords mot
    assuming anyone in the trade is of sound mind and body because the job sends most of us doolally
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    roses_babe wrote: »
    I got my mot due next week I was going to take it to halfords but have been reading mixed reviews has anyone taken their car there?

Any reason you are not following MSE Martin's advice? :huh:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Are you near to a council garage that does them?
  • roses_babe
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies I defo will not be using halfords x
  • roses_babe
    Options
    I didn't even know councils did mots will have a check to see if there is one near me
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I always take my car to the council depot. There is no incentive for them to find any "faults"

The reason more people don't is because the councils charge the full MOT price and people are attracted to the 50% off or "MOT for only £20" not realising that this is a loss leader for the garage to make money out of finding loads of "faults"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure