Toilet seat!

Options
I can't believe I could get so stressed about our toilet seat - but it's broken and I don't know how to fix it. We're not fussed about an original seat, but just want a top fitting one to fix ourselves that won't cost the earth.

The full story is that we had our bathroom replaced last summer and ever since the loo seat has been loose. It's top fitting and somehow the screw keeps coming loose. The plumber is a really nice bloke and has come back and tried to fix it, he gave us a spare set of hinge ordered from the manufacturer for that model (but they were a different style and didn't fit).

We have tried going back to the supplier (they say need to go through the plumber), we have tried going back to the manufacturer (they say they need the original sales receipt from the plumber). We don't have an itemised receipt, the plumber thinks we have a different make of toilet to the one we actually have and so the spare parts he gets are for the wrong model (yet I've been back to the supplier to double check and the model we have is still on display but doesn't seem to tally with the details on the receipt).

It got to the point where we kept a screwdriver in the bathroom to tighten the seat every day, but eventually, the seat broke at the hinge (just as the instructions warned if it wasn't fitted properly). We superglued it, but the repair didn't last. We've not abused it and none of us is massively overweight.

The original toilet seat was over £80 (too much, I'm sure, but we just went with the flow at the time just to get the job done as we'd waited over a year).

We simply want to have a toilet seat we can sit on securely that won't break and cost the earth!! Any ideas - can you get top fitting seats from DIY stores? The ones I saw in HomeBase all seemed to be ones that you had to fix underneath the pan but we have a back to wall cistern that means we can't reach behind or underneath the pan (unless we dismantle it completely!)

Advice appreciated!
Thanks
Beckipeg :)

Comments

• nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive never seen a top fitting one ever.

Congratulations on the internets longest rant about a bog seat though :)
  • Aubs
    Aubs Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beckipeg wrote:
    want a top fitting one to fix ourselves
    No idea what kind you are on about, sorry! What does it look like... Any of these?
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?fh_search=toilet+seat&zone=all

Aubs
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi

Toggle type seat fixing.
    Not unusual, but if the seat is dedicated to your wc then you might have a problem getting a new seat, it won't fit.
    Not Lecico is it?
    Go to a plumbers merchant and ask for top fix seats and see what they can do.
    C.G.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • springchicken
    Options
    Hi Beckipeg
    We had this problem last year ,toilet seat kept slipping all the time ,so annoying!!
    We eventually picked up a seat from IKEA for £9 (nice natural wood design) and it hasnt slipped since.
    Moneysaving? - I cant stop spending because of this site!
  • pollocmc
    pollocmc Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Brining this thread back from the dead...

I had this same problem (very disconcerting) after changing toilet seats and knew I had seen a solution somewhere (thought it was the betterware catalogue actually!) Anyhoo, after searching tinternet and trying all sorts of searches found that what is required are "safe-T-bumpers". I could only find a couple of uk suppliers. I actually got mine from ebay and now have a no-slippy toilet seat.

Here is what I'm talking about - basically L shaped brackets that screw to the underside of the seat.

http://www.inspiredchoices.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bathroom_3.html

I thought I'd update this thread so that those googling for a solution would find it here :) And if anyone would care to enlighten me where I might have seen these before I'd be most grateful. :rotfl:
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure I've seen them in the kleeneze catalogue
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pollocmc wrote: »
    Brining this thread back from the dead...

I had this same problem (very disconcerting) after changing toilet seats and knew I had seen a solution somewhere (thought it was the betterware catalogue actually!) Anyhoo, after searching tinternet and trying all sorts of searches found that what is required are "safe-T-bumpers". I could only find a couple of uk suppliers. I actually got mine from ebay and now have a no-slippy toilet seat.

Here is what I'm talking about - basically L shaped brackets that screw to the underside of the seat.

http://www.inspiredchoices.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bathroom_3.html

I thought I'd update this thread so that those googling for a solution would find it here :) And if anyone would care to enlighten me where I might have seen these before I'd be most grateful. :rotfl:

Interesting website:D
  • pollocmc
    pollocmc Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    sooz wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen them in the kleeneze catalogue

Correctomundo!

Just checked it's page 103 of their current online catalogue for all those with unstable seats! :p
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had this problem many times. You tighten the screws up and within a few months they work loose again
  • honestsammy
    Options
    Right to resurrect this again and put it back on the right track - the problem is not that the seat moves, the problem is that there is no access to the bottom of the seat fixing.
    The toilet is one of those posh modern ones, where it sits flush to the wall and is sealed around the bottom. The seat has broken and a conventional seat is no good as they do up from the bottom. Beckipeg is looking for a top fitting toilet seat which use a couple of "well nuts" that tighten up just by screwing.

I know all this as I have exactly the same problem in 2010!!! Still haven't found the right sort of seat!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure