IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone took 'Help Link' boiler deal?
Views: 98,381
# 1
silkyuk9
Old 03-01-2012, 1:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Anyone took 'Help Link' boiler deal?

This sounds interesting. Just seen the tv commercial with johhny Ball £17.50 per month for new boiler with 10 year warrenty.

http://www.help-link.co.uk/

We pay around £20 per month for British Gas boiler cover so my thinking is that getting a new boiler fitted would be cheaper and would not need to use the BG cover.

Our boiler is a Worcester 25i and is discontinued but parts available so BG have no issues. However a new boiler would proberly be more efficiant and cheaper to run.

I was just wondering if anyone has this and how does it work for you?
All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to silkyuk9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Nazitf
Old 24-02-2012, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Their quote was higher than some local plumbers however they were able to offer a 10 year warranty.

I didn't choose to go with them because when the surveyor came round they said the following things which made me sceptical.

These apply to installing a combi boiler.

1. When I raised concerns about the condensation pipes freezing, the response was that the newer outlet pipes wont freeze so this shouldn’t be a worry.

2. The size of the combi was determined by the number of radiators. The flow rate into the property (calculated by measuring the flow rate for the downstairs kitchen cold tap) doesn't restrict the size of the boiler that can be chosen. If you go for a bigger boiler, it can "pump" more water so you'll get higher flow rates.

3. A chemical flush is sufficient before installing the new system (old system boiler to new combi boiler). I could have a powerflush if I wanted but it wasn’t necessary.

Please comment / correct me if any of the above is true.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nazitf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ihateyes
Old 24-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyuk9 View Post
This sounds interesting. Just seen the tv commercial with johhny Ball £17.50 per month for new boiler with 10 year warrenty.

http://www.help-link.co.uk/

We pay around £20 per month for British Gas boiler cover so my thinking is that getting a new boiler fitted would be cheaper and would not need to use the BG cover.

Our boiler is a Worcester 25i and is discontinued but parts available so BG have no issues. However a new boiler would proberly be more efficiant and cheaper to run.

I was just wondering if anyone has this and how does it work for you?

couple of things to remember.... your tied in for 10yrs..... receive poor service, you cant move..... well you can but the cancellation fee will be massive.

What if you move house in the next 10years....... you will still be paying for the boiler..... remember its basically a finance agreement for a boiler installation and 10yrs maintenance contract.
Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
The Following User Says Thank You to ihateyes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
macman
Old 25-02-2012, 9:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Read the small print. Clue: it's very small indeed!
http://www.help-link.co.uk/about/latest-offers.php?a=uk
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ihateyes
Old 26-02-2012, 2:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Read the small print. Clue: it's very small indeed!
http://www.help-link.co.uk/about/latest-offers.php?a=uk

i cant see small print lol
im sure i read somewhere there is a deposit here as well.
# 6
macman
Old 26-02-2012, 3:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You're not intended to! Deposit £474, total payable £2514, APR 9.9%
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 7
boiler minder
Old 17-07-2012, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default help link robbing b's

They don't employ anyone direct and only use sub contractors which they tell people there direct labour.

you'll never get a boiler for £17 a month unless you put a £500 deposit and pay £1000 over 10 years.

the 10 year warranty is not worth the paper it written on the customer service is so poor if you got a problem they fob you off stay well clear and use your local plumber.

Last edited by boiler minder; 17-07-2012 at 8:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boiler minder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
unclebulgaria
Old 18-07-2012, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Im a self employed Plumbing/heating and saw these adverts and thought "!!!!!!, another offer too good to be true!" and it sounds like it is!
I really wish there was a route we could all take to have piece of mind when dealing with big purchases like boilers.
I used to think that getting a boiler from someone like myself with a warranty was a good start and I used to push Domestic & General as a warranty extension but even they have let my customers down with poor service and BS they gave them about their good service!
Find a decent local Gas Safe Registered engineer and start from there, just get advice on the small print and steer clear of these too good to be true offers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unclebulgaria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
ihateyes
Old 19-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebulgaria View Post
Im a self employed Plumbing/heating and saw these adverts and thought "!!!!!!, another offer too good to be true!" and it sounds like it is!
I really wish there was a route we could all take to have piece of mind when dealing with big purchases like boilers.
I used to think that getting a boiler from someone like myself with a warranty was a good start and I used to push Domestic & General as a warranty extension but even they have let my customers down with poor service and BS they gave them about their good service!
Find a decent local Gas Safe Registered engineer and start from there, just get advice on the small print and steer clear of these too good to be true offers.

Also its a 10yr plan. so once installed, you just cant cancel.
Also if you move, your still liable for all payments.
# 10
macca1970
Old 21-08-2012, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ive just used help link and glad i did. I used a local plumber to fit my last boiler, i only got a 2 year manufacturers so the money i paid him was just for the work he did, and a year after the boiler came out of warranty the boiler was condemned!!! got help link because of the 10 year manufacturers warranty confirmed by worcester bosch themselves (and its transferable to whoever buys my house if i move). Got it over 10 year finance because i just dont have the money to pay AGAIN in full to a local plumber but can pay it off in full at anytime or big bits of it at a time so i'll pay less interest. and on top of all this worcester bosch recommend them so im not only happy now ive got a boiler but also massive peace of mind. :-)
# 11
ihateyes
Old 22-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca1970 View Post
Got it over 10 year finance-)

so if you move in 5 years your still paying for this boiler and warranty...... that is all.
# 12
Archangel MC
Old 22-10-2012, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am trying to find the name/email address of the MD of Helplink, or contact details for their complaints department, I have tried googling but cannot find the details I need. Thanks
# 13
shric
Old 24-10-2012, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Dont forget Service costs

You are also tied in to pay them "Service" costs each year, whereas your £15 a month cover charge to British Gas or whoever will include this.
# 14
Lee_2702
Old 07-11-2012, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am thinking of getting a new boiler and have been put off by help link.
Has anyone heard of pay as you glow?
payasyouglow.co.uk

Any ideas?
# 15
andymick2406
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

You do not have to pay over 10 years, or even 3, 4 or 5 years to get the full 10 years parts and labour warranty (backed by the manufacture), all you need do is have the boiler serviced by ANY GAS SAFE REGISTERED ENGINEER and keep the certificates.

If you have it on finance and move house, just pay it off. If you do move house, the remainder of the warranty will continue on with the new owners.

Hope hat helps.
# 16
Kayak10
Old 22-03-2013, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default The law re fit for purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca1970 View Post
Ive just used help link and glad i did. I used a local plumber to fit my last boiler, i only got a 2 year manufacturers so the money i paid him was just for the work he did, and a year after the boiler came out of warranty the boiler was condemned!!! got help link because of the 10 year manufacturers warranty confirmed by worcester bosch themselves (and its transferable to whoever buys my house if i move). Got it over 10 year finance because i just dont have the money to pay AGAIN in full to a local plumber but can pay it off in full at anytime or big bits of it at a time so i'll pay less interest. and on top of all this worcester bosch recommend them so im not only happy now ive got a boiler but also massive peace of mind. :-)
I realise it is probably to late But for future reference I suggest you look up the laws on fit for purpose Unless it was your fault the boiler failed your entitled to upto Six years use So you should have taken it up with the supplier or manufacture as it should have been repaired or replaced If it was an installation fault May be you can look at the small claims court against the fitter ?
# 17
southcoastrgi
Old 22-03-2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak10 View Post
I realise it is probably to late But for future reference I suggest you look up the laws on fit for purpose Unless it was your fault the boiler failed your entitled to upto Six years use So you should have taken it up with the supplier or manufacture as it should have been repaired or replaced If it was an installation fault May be you can look at the small claims court against the fitter ?
I doubt you will get anywhere with this, as it will just be put down to a poorly maintained system (scale/sludge) which is the customers responsibility not the installer or the manu
I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
# 18
Kayak10
Old 14-04-2013, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Law fit for purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastrgi View Post
I doubt you will get anywhere with this, as it will just be put down to a poorly maintained system (scale/sludge) which is the customers responsibility not the installer or the manu
Hi Southcostrgi
I agree and if you read my comment I DID say unless it was his fault
BUT after 2 years unlikely to be scale unless in VERY hard water area AND if sludge and the two year old boiler was attached to an old system Surely the fitter should have flushed the system and put a scale inhibiter in system as I'm sure IF your a gas engineer your would have done that as any engineer worth his salt would have
So I suggest even if it was down to those things I still feel he would have had a claim against the fitter and if none of the above I'm certain he would have had a claim against the manufacture of the boiler
Be interested if Martin would comment ???
# 19
southcoastrgi
Old 14-04-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak10 View Post
Hi Southcostrgi
I agree and if you read my comment I DID say unless it was his fault
BUT after 2 years unlikely to be scale unless in VERY hard water area AND if sludge and the two year old boiler was attached to an old system Surely the fitter should have flushed the system and put a scale inhibiter in system as I'm sure IF your a gas engineer your would have done that as any engineer worth his salt would have
So I suggest even if it was down to those things I still feel he would have had a claim against the fitter and if none of the above I'm certain he would have had a claim against the manufacture of the boiler
Be interested if Martin would comment ???
a boiler can scale after alot less than 2 yrs (just look at your kettle), yes the system must be flushed & an inhibitor added, however this works in the same way as an mot on your car (only valid on the day of the test/install), what happens if after a week the customer drains the heating to remove a rad & doesn't add more inhibitor, then if the boiler sludges up how can this be down to the installer or the manu, so like i said if the system isn't maintained then the warrentee either from the installer or the boiler manu is null & void.

As Martin has sold the site (& is only the face of it) I doubt very much if he is going to comment
I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
# 20
missfox82
Old 22-04-2013, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Avoid this company!!!

The worst company I have ever has the misfortune to deal with. Took them 3 days to do a simple boiler swap (job was initially scheduled for 1 day!). Within 2 weeks of the new boiler being fitted I had a massive leak from the boiler which ran down into my stairs and ruined my stair carpet. Helplink very rudely disputed that I had carpet on my stairs (!) and I had to fight for them replace my carpet. They fitted a radiator so close to a bedroom door that I can no longer shut the door. A thermostat on one radiator was placed so close the the pipes that I cannot turn it without burning my fingers. I also have other problems but I don't have time to outline them all right now. All I can say is avoid this company, almost 2 years after fitting I am still waiting for them to rectify a number of problems and I have just found out that there is a another leak which is resulting in pressure loss on a daily basis, and the plaster on my walls is starting to fall off where the leaking water is coming through. COWBOYS!!!!!!! DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY A PENNY OF YOUR HARD EARNED CASH. THEY HAVE RUINED MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!.
The Following User Says Thank You to missfox82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>