How times have changed! (Edited)

Options
Luckyred
Luckyred Posts: 298 Forumite
edited 17 November 2011 at 4:32PM in Weddings & anniversaries
Just thought I would take a light hearted look at how times have changed regarding weddings. Perhaps others would like to join in.
When I got married the first time my parents paid for the wedding... thats how it was done in the dim and distant past. They compiled the guest list too although I had some input. The reason being was that it was theirs to do as they were giving their daughter away if you see what I mean.
As for living together before the wedding.... perish the thought! My parents would have been horrified.
I think some things have changed for the better but not all. I think living together first is a good thing. I wish we had lived together first because I would not have ended up marrying him because we got divorced.
The wedding breakfast was known as the reception where as nowadays I have noticed that some people refer to the evening "do" as the reception.
We didnt have to go to the venue to decorate the tables etc, it was included. I had never heard of anyone doing this until I read it on here.
Wedding favours didnt exist as far as I know.
Bridesmaids, ushers etc never had to contribute to their outfits.
Buttonholes were provided for the wedding party plus close relatives including grandparents. Other guests would buy their own if the chose to have one. I have read posts on here where brides were angry about this.....ridiculous!
As for asking for money... no way. You got what you were given and were grateful for anything.
I never knew anyone who didnt wear a veil though I do thing they can look a bit old fashioned now.
I still have my horseshoes, rolling pins etc that were given to me as I came out of church. Do brides still get presented with these? I havent noticed any in any photos in the last few years.
Guests brought their own confetti and it was always those little coloured paper pieces. I must admit I like the idea thay I saw on here this morning of a flowergirl with a basket of dried roses for people to take a handful...lovely idea.
We didnt have make up done, you did your own though I did have my hair done at the salon. I never heard of a stylist going to someones home.
No save the date cards. I still have never had one of these prior to an invite.
No Vistaprint..... invitations cost a fortune but they were beautiful.
Second wedding didnt cost a fraction of the first but it was the best... we have been happily married for many years. We did live together for a few months first though and I would advise anyone to do the same.

Comments

• wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I remember going to older relatives' weddings when I was a kid (mid-1980s-90s) and they were sooo different from now! :D I was a flowergirl once too, it was fantastic fun. But the dresses! :eek:

Horseshoes?? Rolling pins????? What were they for? :rotfl:
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • wanchai_2
    Options
    p.s. can you say when your first wedding was, just to give some context? :)
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • sugarwalsh
    sugarwalsh Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Options
    wanchai wrote: »
    Yes, I remember going to older relatives' weddings when I was a kid (mid-1980s-90s) and they were sooo different from now! :D I was a flowergirl once too, it was fantastic fun. But the dresses! :eek:

Horseshoes?? Rolling pins????? What were they for? :rotfl:

For pinning him down when he annoys you and for clonking him when he gets out of line.....:rotfl:

Megan
    May GC - £100 per week
    Week 1 - £120/£100 :eek:, Week 2 £110/100:o, Week 3 £110/£100:mad:, Week 4 £50/100Week 5

DFW - March '13 - c/c £5600, April £4500, May £2500 :T
  • Luckyred
    Options
    It was the 1970s.
    The horseshoes and rolling pins were very popular.... they sold them in stationary shops.
    The horseshoes were generally cardboard covered in silver or gold with a ribbon attached.
    The rolling pins were not as big as the real ones. They were tiny and decorated with ribbons. I think they were meant to symbolise bashing your husband with one to let him know who was boss! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • wanchai_2
    Options
    sugarwalsh wrote: »
    For pinning him down when he annoys you and for clonking him when he gets out of line.....:rotfl:

Megan
    Luckyred wrote: »
    It was the 1970s.
    The horseshoes and rolling pins were very popular.... they sold them in stationary shops.
    The horseshoes were generally cardboard covered in silver or gold with a ribbon attached.
    The rolling pins were not as big as the real ones. They were tiny and decorated with ribbons. I think they were meant to symbolise bashing your husband with one to let him know who was boss! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I love it!!!! :rotfl:

My parents married in the 1970s, as did most of my friends' parents, and I much prefer 1970s weddings to 1980s/90s weddings. The 1970s dresses were so floaty and gorgeous, and usually made from lovely materials. My friend's mum wore a floor length dress like Princess Anne's (but the sleeves were way narrower) and a wide brimmed white, she looked so stylish in the pics. :)

The 1980s and 1990s weddings that I attended were just a big satin puffy-sleeved nightmare! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    How about chimney sweeps? I was a bridesmaid in the early 80's and there was a (traditionally dressed) chimney sweep outside the church, complete with brushes. What does/did this signify?
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • Luckyred
    Options
    I agree about the dresses wanchai. My bridesmaids dresses were lovely too. They wouldnt look out of place today. They were a fuschia/very deep pink, full length with lace boleroes in the same colour. They had purple, pink and white flowers wth gypsophylia.
    Another thing I have noticed about modern weddings is that no seems to have groomsmen anymore, just ushers. We had both but I cant for the life of me remember what the difference was! :D
  • sugarwalsh
    sugarwalsh Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2011 at 5:58PM
    Options
    How about chimney sweeps? I was a bridesmaid in the early 80's and there was a (traditionally dressed) chimney sweep outside the church, complete with brushes. What does/did this signify?

I think it was reference to them moving in together, therefore needing to sweep the chimney. It all sounds like a bit of a euphamism to me though...

Megan
    May GC - £100 per week
    Week 1 - £120/£100 :eek:, Week 2 £110/100:o, Week 3 £110/£100:mad:, Week 4 £50/100Week 5

DFW - March '13 - c/c £5600, April £4500, May £2500 :T
  • Luckyred
    Options

I have heard of people having chimney sweeps but have never seen one myself at a wedding. Its something to do with bringing good luck but I dont know where the idea came from.
  • Luckyred
    Options
    If you committed the terrible sin of living together you were said to be "Living over the Brush". I have no idea what that means but it was a very common phrase.
    The only person I know who still uses that phrase is my mother. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport