Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > I have an answering machine message from "MC... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I have an answering machine message from "MCS". Is it a scam?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,480
# 1
nemmernossage
Old 23-01-2007, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question I have an answering machine message from "MCS". Is it a scam?

They said that they had a message waiting for me. This seems like a scam as surely wouldn't they just tell me the message?

I've searched the internet and can't find anything on MCS, but does anyone else know about this kind of thing?
Nemmer Nossage

Became a Mrs on 30th July 2010!

Expecting Baby #1on 22nd April 2012
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemmernossage For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
TomPill
Old 23-01-2007, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation

I'm pretty sure this is a scam - I just got exactly the same message (9.55am)!
A few weeks ago I had the more well known "James from the information team" message left for me - looks like my number might be on some kind of scam target list :-(

The number left to call back was 0871*******. Beware!

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 14-02-2007 at 10:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomPill For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
howey78
Old 23-01-2007, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had one of these aslo last Friday. Very polite voice on phone, when I was trying to interupt him, asking who he was from, (was something like mcs) he continued saying he had a massage etc then hung up. It also was a 0871 number. Big Scam!
The Following User Says Thank You to howey78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Heinz
Old 23-01-2007, 4:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmernossage
They said that they had a message waiting for me. This seems like a scam as surely wouldn't they just tell me the message?
Exactly.

If someone had a message for me, the ideal place to leave the message would be on the answering machine on which they left a message asking me to call a number to collect my message.

Instead, they left a message asking me to call a number to collect my message!
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 5
oldandhappy
Old 23-01-2007, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wink

quote...he continued saying he had a massage etc then hung up. It also was a 0871 number. Big Scam!....unquote....

massage understand ........... but the etc then hung up.......
# 6
fififofum
Old 24-01-2007, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i always think a genuine business would call back, and since moving house and going ex directory have not had any "you have won a trip to florida" etc etc messages.
# 7
purplecatlover
Old 25-01-2007, 7:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i registered with phone preference thingy when i set up my bt line last year...haven't had a single marketing call or not asked for/needed call since. (and it was free)
# 8
Heinz
Old 26-01-2007, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fififofum
i always think a genuine business would call back, and since moving house and going ex directory have not had any "you have won a trip to florida" etc etc messages.
I'm pleased to hear that but beware, being ex-directory does not protect you from auto-diallers (the computer doesn't know, it just dials numbers).

Registering with TPS is the most effective.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 9
FrugalJo
Old 05-02-2007, 9:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for this had two in the last week, one this morning was at 8.10am !
The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. - Chinese Proverb
Jo
# 10
Mark7799
Old 05-02-2007, 9:14 AM

What is the number you have been asked to ring back on? Before everyone expounds all the conspiracy theories, if it starts with 08 or 09, it's probably a scam of some sort. If it's a normal geographic number it may be a normal transaction - give them a call back (using 141 if you think its' necessary) and then we can get some calm facts on it.
# 11
mwh65
Old 05-02-2007, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I received a "please call us back we have a message for you" scam call today also from MCS.

The number I was asked to ring back on was 0871 *** ****.

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 14-02-2007 at 10:20 PM.
# 12
ManAtHome
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM

The calls will be placed my a machine (as Howey found out when trying to interrupt) - they just want you to pay for the "opportunity" to be scammed, must be a cracking deal...
# 13
Emmylou
Old 06-02-2007, 8:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

These people have just phoned my work. I picked up on the first ring. There was a delay and then it went to the automated "you have a message" message.

I rang back (well, it's not my phone bill!) and have now been holding for over 5 minutes, with !!!! music and them intermittently telling me my call is important etc (about every 30 seconds).
# 14
chrissy71
Old 06-02-2007, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

whats the details for registering with TPS?
we get plagued with these calls and others its so annoying especially when we are ex directory
# 15
FedUpWithNuisanceCalls
Old 06-02-2007, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We have just received a similar call from 'MCS' asking us to call 0871*******. http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/./search/...8_code_87.html which lists the 0871 range allocations shows that a company called hotchilli at http://www.hotchilli.com is responsible for issuing this number. Maybe they can remove or block these numbers?

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 14-02-2007 at 10:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FedUpWithNuisanceCalls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
turnberry
Old 07-02-2007, 8:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have had several similar calls, which I answered. They asked for my son and would not divulge who they were, or what the call was about, other than the name MCS. The telephone dialling codes were 0151 (Liverpool) and 0161(Manchester). When I called the numbers back to try to verify who the company was I just got a message 'this number cannot receive calls'.

Last edited by turnberry; 07-02-2007 at 8:48 AM.
# 17
Tiglet
Old 09-02-2007, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnberry
I have had several similar calls, which I answered. They asked for my son and would not divulge who they were, or what the call was about, other than the name MCS. The telephone dialling codes were 0151 (Liverpool) and 0161(Manchester). When I called the numbers back to try to verify who the company was I just got a message 'this number cannot receive calls'.
Report them to OFCOM. They don't deal with individual complaints but the more they get the more likely they are to do something about it. Here is a link to the complaints page. It's listed under "silent calls" but it seemed to work for me.
# 18
SaraSeahorse
Old 09-02-2007, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had the MCS call on Tuesday using 0871 *******

as mentioned previously it is just a way of getting you to call back and they earn money from the call
Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 14-02-2007 at 10:22 PM.
# 19
redux
Old 14-02-2007, 8:37 PM

A call here a few days ago, to call back 0871 ...

Apparently it is one of those companies that offers to help people reclaim bank charges, which might not be all that popular with a certain Mr Lewis, who has criticised similar companies on here

Nobody in this house asked for such information and the number is ex-directory, which means I'm assuming it was random-dialled.

In my opinion the calls are obviously sales-motivated, and are also exploiting people who will not know that the 0871 number will cost them 10 pence a minute, and if the various regulatory authorities say that these calls are not covered at present, then this seems a cynical out-manoeuvre of inadequate rules

Last edited by redux; 14-02-2007 at 9:19 PM. Reason: number removed
# 20
Edinburghlass
Old 14-02-2007, 9:00 PM

I'm going to ask for the full number to be removed from these posts as it just gives these "ambulance chasers" the publicity we don't want to give them on MSE
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread