Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2011

pigpen
pigpen Posts: 40,891
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 5 October 2011 at 11:00PM in Old style MoneySaving
Weekly Flylady Thread 26th September 2011
Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week when it comes to housework, or just the motivation to do the dreaded housework tasks you have to do, come and join us, hopefully make it a little easier. You never know, you might start to enjoy it!

There are levels 1, 2 and 3. Level 1 being very basic it has been requested that this is just vital tasks for basic cleanliness, level 2 usually has some decluttering and clearing, level 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. If you want to do level 2 you add the tasks on level 1 with the level 2 tasks, if you want to do level 3 you add the tasks on, easy peasy. Choose a level to aim for but be realistic, if you've got a busy day on or are just starting etc aim for level one, if you get higher then great, if not then not to worry its only suggestions. Every room comes back around next week. Trust me some days I'll only be doing level one myself. Then for our super high flyers there are the extras.. a mixture of decluttering, cleaning and general improvement of your home. Don't feel you have to do any of it, just do what you can, anything you do which you didn't before is a step forward and to be rejoiced!

THESE LISTS ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS AND NOT A MUST DO LIST, ALWAYS WELCOME TO POST AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN.

Also adding a declutter mission each day. Another one where it's up to you if you want to do it or if you need to. This follows requests from members who are looking to declutter. Binbag dances, hotspot clearing, cupboard sorts, drawer sorts etc will all be on this list. Any problems with this or any suggestions do please just ask.

A few of the basics before we start the week
Hotspots are any areas which if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
Daily routines/todailies are anything you need to do today and every day stuff like laundry, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc
Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie/binbag dance - stick on some loud music, grab a binbag or carrier bag and whizz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning, exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
5GC five minutes gardening.. make it lovely for your family and enjoy it!
Other abbreviations you may find useful
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ this is a AnW'sMum's way of tidying - pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
here goes another week
Monday ~ Living room, Hall and Stairs
Level One
Declutter the floors.. make the stairs safe and the hall clear
Vacuum said floors.. and up the stairs.. it looks so much better when you have clear stairs
Level Two
Wipe the sofas
Wash any soft furnishings that are in need
Wipe the paintwork.. inc. the skirtings behind the sofas!
Level Three
Clear all the paperwork into a box or bag, clearing those cluttered surfaces
15 minutes filing.. from above box/bag if you just filled one! Elsewhere if you didn't!
Dust and deweb those corners and mantel
Polish the electrical.. without blowing yourself up please!

Extras
  1. Wipe the hand rails, banisters and spindles
  2. Clear and tidy up all the bags and coats and shoes
  3. FIRES/BOILERS SERVICED, TEST RUN C/H TO CHECK IT IS OK BEFORE IT IS FREEZING AND GET THOSE CHIMNEYS SWEPT.. ESP. IF YOU BURN WOOD/PAPER AS IT STICKS TO CHIMNEY INNARDS!
  4. binbag dance.. get some decluttering done!
Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Dining room!
Level One
Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
Sweep and mop floor
Level Two
Empty and clean out a cupboard.. fling all that is dead, mouldy or inedible.. and DD1 says all weevilly things too.. but I like them.. they are full of protein!
Wipe units and cupboard fronts
Wipe and replace all small appliances
Level Three
Clean out the microwave.. or another appliance if you are without
Clean out the fridge.. you do not need furry food!
Dust and dewed.. and clean the blinds/curtains

Extras
  1. HHI
  2. Binbag dance
  3. wash out bins
  4. Run appliances through a clean wash.. and clean filters and door seals!
Wednesday ~ Master bedroom and landing
Level One
Declutter the floor
Strip wash and replace the bedding.. do not wait until you want to get in it!!
Level Two
Vacuum floors
Dust and deweb
Empty and clean out bins
31 fling boogie!
Level Three
Clear the floordrobe.
Sort through your cupboard and get rid of those items of clothing you no longer wear or need or are worn out.. memories are in your heart not in things you no longer use!!
Declutter some of the stuff you have stashed under the bed, in the bottom of the wardrobe e.g.

Extras
  1. Wash windows
  2. Wash curtains or other soft furnishings that need it
  3. Straighten your shoe and bag collection.. can any be rehomed?
  4. Sort through a box of general junk that is lurking
Thursday~ Bathroom, loo and study!
Level One

Declutter floors
scrubify the tiles
Level Two
Clean the bath, loo, shower etc...
Defrag comp while you vacuum/mop
Wipe chairs keyboards, mouses monitors etc..
Level Three
Wash shower curtains/bathmats etc
Clean the radiators and paintwork
Shine the taps and descale the shower head!
Extras
  1. 15 minutes filing
  2. HHI
  3. Delete 100 useless junk emails!
  4. Dust deweb and wash some windows!
Friday ~ The Birdie Song... (a ittle bit of this.. and a little bit of that..)
Level One
Clear the floor in a neglected room
Change any bedding that hasn't been done recently
Evict some spiders!
Level Two
De-grot a hotspot!.. all of one.. the whole mound.. what did you find underneath?
HH-something.. study, exercise, challenge, garden, iron.. what did you do?
Empty and clean out a cupboard.. fling the stuff you don't need and put back neatly the stuff you do!
Level Three
Spend half an hour doing something for YOURSELF!.. hair, nails or simply a bath!.. What did you do?
S&S the kitchen and bathroom
Vacuum a fluffy floor!
Extras
  1. Wash any windows you have left and can now no longer see out of! (that would be all of mine!)
  2. Wash any curtains that need it and put up your winter weight ones
  3. binbag dance
  4. Wash the sticky paintwork in one room
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)

Comments

• cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    I'm in on a limited basis this week. Just had ceilings plastered and painter in on Wednesday so not really worth doing downstairs until they have been. Also my upset insides are back so I'm living on Gaviscon and will be off to the chemist/Dr's tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,891
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I hope you will find the following helpful but please dont be afraid to ask anything -no matter how silly it might seem.We all have the t-shirt!
    If you want to get your house ship-shape then you have definitely come to the right place!
    Dont worry if you dont have time to post or read all the thread.

Hope we see more of you!

WELCOME TO THE WEEKLY FLYLADY(& GENTS) THREAD
    1. A new thread starts on a Sunday evening via a link from the current thread so keep a watch out and dive in! (Click on the big writing)
    2. Make sure you read the first post carefully as it contains all the info and abbreviations that we use!
    3. A new list is added to the 1st post every evening by pigpen-the order changes every week
    4. Dont get stressed with the mess just try to do the list to whatever level you can manage depending on your home circumstances - work, children, OH's!
    5. Even if you only manage level 1 everyday when you come back to that room next week you will find it is easier and as time goes on it becomes more manageable and you will see huge differences. I know it sounds impossible but I can vouch for the fact it works!
    6. Remember your home didnt get in a mess overnight so dont expect it to get tidy in a day!! Dont try to do the whole house at once - you will tire yourself out and sicken yourself -we have all tried it! BABYSTEPS -little and often and you will be amazed at the improvement.
    7. Post what you have done and forget about what you missed. There is no such thing as failure here!
    8. If you want to post a list and strike out what you have done -choose the 'go advanced' (its down at the bottom of the messages) and then highlight the line you want to strike out -press the S with the line through it (its near the end of the list of symbols above your page) and it will say'strike' at each end -when you post your message it will show with a line through it!
    9. If you want to answer a particular post then press 'quote' and you will then be able to type a reply. To help keep the thread tidy & short if there is only a small bit of the post that you want to reply to then just delete the bits you dont want but be sure to leave the 'quote' at each end.
    10. Dont worry if you cant keep up with the thread it moves very fast -just pop in and post so everybody know hows you are doing!
    11. To defrag your pc (it appears on the list!) go to Start>>All progs>> Accessories >>System tools >>Disk defragmenter. You should do both C &D discs but 'C' is the important one - the more often you do it the less time it will take.
    12. All posts should include some mention of the flying you have been doing - except at the weekend when we can chat more!
    13. Frog list - this is a short term list of annoying or horrid jobs that you have been putting off doing for too long - stop procrastinating! watch this for a better explanation!
      http://www.eatthatfrogmovie.com/
    14. originally posted by Mudbath .."A 60 in 60 is putting away or chucking or charity bagging 60 things in 60 minutes ... a genius idea:rotfl:xx"
    15. Toots'list this is a master list of absolutely everything you want to get done in the house and garden and your life in general - I went through each room and noted everything - this is a long term list - some things could take you up to a year!
    The support, encouragement and friendship on here is simply THE BEST! ask any questions and we will give you our tuppence worth - sometimes sensible sometimes totally insane!

We dont bite -well most of us dont -have fun!!
    WELCOME to the totally bonkers mad house!!
    toots:D
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Really should get back on here.... Will post a list of what I need to do tomorrow.
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • I am in this week :D Thanks to pigpen for the new thread.

My lists:
    Level One
    Vacuum said floors.. and up the stairs.. it looks so much better when you have clear stairs
    Level Two
    Wipe the sofas
    Level Three
    15 minutes filing.. from above box/bag if you just filled one! Elsewhere if you didn't!

Extras
    3. FIRES/BOILERS SERVICED, TEST RUN C/H TO CHECK IT IS OK BEFORE IT IS FREEZING AND GET THOSE CHIMNEYS SWEPT.. ESP. IF YOU BURN WOOD/PAPER AS IT STICKS TO CHIMNEY INNARDS!
    FROG LIST:
    1. Get passport photos done for Bex tried – but she wasn’t in the right mood!!
    2. Make sure RA’s/planning, etc up-to-date
    3. Phone re Conor’s laptop
    4. Sort one box in DR
    5. Set up LJ for Miss T
    6. Update LJ for LMS
    7. Sort out junk put in Summerhouse – put away, CS or chuck
    8. Car insurance quotes
    9. Find electrician Waiting for quote
    10. Update Brush Strokes accounts & pay in money
    11. Clean 'clik clak' track & return to toddler group on Friday

My Toot’s list!
    3. Sort out paperwork in small brown box
    4. Sort out paperwork in large brown box
    5. Clear out desk
    7. Look into new website costs £300-£400, + £30 p.a. +£5 pm !!!!; or £55 p.a (that’s better!)
    9. Work – update LJ WIP – try to do some every day
    11. Sort out pictures for photo frame
    13. Work – make list of resources WIP
    14. Work – photographic labels for resources
    15. Cupboard under stairs to do when shed ready
    18. Clean oven & grill – maybe get someone in to do deep clean?
    20. Clear out top drawer in kitchen
    21. Clear out bottom (junk) drawer in kitchen
    24. Clear out cupboard under sink
    26. Clear bedside drawer
    27. Clear out double wardrobe
    29. Clear out/clean bathroom cabinet
    34. Work – update 2011/12 accounts FROG Lincome done
    38. Look into repair plan for TV
    40. Update members list for SAA FROG L
    41. Book dentist
    47. Clean kitchen windows
    52. Work – update Self Evaluation Form FROG L
    55. Clean lounge/dining room carpet
    56. Replace broken catches in kitchen
    63. Sort out Becky’s passport
    70. Look into emergency insurance cover – eg boiler & water supply (Homeserve?)
    75. Get toilet roll holder for downstairs loo that the children can reach!
    76. Paint bathroom window frame
    77. Paint bathroom door frame
    78. Paint banisters/spindles, etc
    82. Sort out broom cupboard
    85. Clean smelly patch in hallway (again)
    86. Look into getting electrics fitted in summerhouse – what it involves & cost
    88. Make bags up for toys done first one
    89. Make up boxes for toys and sort out/clean/re-organise
    91. Organise toys etc in new units
    94. Send old laptop away to fix screen problem
    96. New toilet seat for downstairs
    97. Clear junk out of top cupboards in kitchen (3 cupboards) 2 done, 1 to go
    98. Sort out/reorganise cupboard above oven need to buy shelves from Ikea
    101.Chain/bolt for front door
    102.Get car insurance quotes (renewal 5/10)
    103.Tax return
    104.New blinds for LR
    105.Get utility room door lock fixed/replaced

Need to get the garden/summerhouse sorted this week before the weather turns. We have been quoted £300 for the electrics in the summerhouse. Is that about right? I have no idea with these things :o but I know costs are going up :(

Hugs and spoons to those that need them, esp Toots
  • toochoosey
    toochoosey Posts: 7,370
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

here goes another week
    Level One
    Level Two
    Wipe the sofas
    Level Three

Extras

Good Evening all, hope you all had a good weekend, I know we did!! xx

I am in this week, just lost a post but level 1 may take a while cause of all the caravan stuff!!

I'll try and catch up tomoorow, but shatered now so see you all then xx
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm in in my own little way :o

Thank you pigpen and Toots :A

Love, hugs and prayers to all xx
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • Mumto5
    Mumto5 Posts: 1,838
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome back to the helm of the good ship Flylady Pigpen. Along with first mate Toots I am happy to serve another week. Throw a mule if you feel I am slacking.

2 x HHI done tonight. Very tired now so off to bed.
  • I'm in again.

I now have two matching white bookcases either side of the sofa. With speakers sitting on the top, and plenty of space for CDs, DVDs, Wii games, my music books and a couple of dust collectors (ornaments) on a glass shelf at the top of each. They look rather smart, and just £14 each - including the extra glass shelf - from IKEA .

Rewired the speakers, so the cables run along the skirting now, which is much neater.

Had the first rehearsal for the gig today. I was very nervous - not about the music side, I've been practising all weekend - but about the dealing with people I don't know, who I assumed would be accomplished musicians. Much to my relief, the guitarist/singer isn't as familiar with the music as I am now - so he was told to listen to me because I 'knew what's going on' :D:D:D

As I was leaving, I got asked to learn another song as well by next week, just so long as I make sure the planned songs are perfect.

I am now playing bass on acoustic versions of

I Am The Walrus
    A Day In The Life
    Hey Jude
    All You Need Is Love

Which I'm rather looking forward to.

Minion came home from her father's and announced as she headed straight up the stairs to shut herself in her room (chucking a burger box and carrier bag on the floor as she went) that there was no way on Earth she was wasting her Sunday watching me play 'that old rubbish you do', so will be spending approximately 7 hours alone. Way to go, kid. Just knock me down at the first available opportunity.

Going to get better than that. Her washing never came downstairs, nor did the cups and plates she was specifically asked about and she swore didn't exist. So she doesn't have any clean clothes. And I didn't pick up her stuff that she dumped on the sofa before she left with him on Friday, so it's covered in cat hairs and other nastiness. Or make her bed.

Remind me again, why do I go to all her events (the few that she can be bothered to get involved in), pay for them all, listen to teachers droning on about how fantastic the night is when we've heard more from bloody governors and guests rather than the kids themselves, and encourage and congratulate her?

After all, by all appearances, all I need say is that it's all a load of old ****, that I have better things to be doing with my life, like going to the pub or doing anything but dealing with children, pretend to take her for a weekend, but in reality dump her off on my friends because what I am doing is more important, and as long as I remain completely disinterested in her and her life, everything will be fine and she'll be a spiteful cow to her father instead of me?

:mad:

I'm going to bed with some beer and perhaps one of the cats for company. At least they appreciate me.

Tomorrow, I will mostly be in the garden eating worms. :(
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So need to try to get some cleaning done this week.

JoJo have a hug - they can be vile, I've got one being vile at the moment too x

Lil_me - curtains semi successful, they are clean but also about 3" shorter than they were. I'm hoping they will drop a bit. I can get DH to lower the pole or put the hooks on the top row of the tape, will see once they settle.

Love for Toots, Lady Liberty and memories of Diva
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Kaloloke
    Kaloloke Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi,
    I'm new to this so will attempt level 1 plus some extras.

My Frog / Toots lists are currently quite short but I am planning on doing a full house audit in the next week or so as I am aiming to have a ship/shape home before my return to work in March 2012 when I will probably have less than half the time to do housework. I live in a 2 bed flat so this should be achievable :)

Level One

Extras
    Wipe the hand rails, banisters and spindles

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]Todallies:
    Make Dinner
    Dishes
    Wash Nappies / Other Laundry
    Put clothes away
    Sterilise babes stuff
    [/COLOR]

Frogs:
    1. Write to Thompson
    2. Call Dr.s