Wire Transfer - what coverage do I have paying by this method

Hey everyone, I need some advice on something. I have recently tried to purchase something online and pay with my credit card. Today I get an email saying that my card could not be verified and I should make a wire transfer to the companies account. So I went back onto the website to try and pay with a different card (both have plenty of funds available) and the same thing has happen, an email saying card could not be verified and I should pay by wire transfer. Now the company seem legitimate enough (registered at companies house etc etc) but if I purchase this item and pay by transfer do I get any coverage if the item does not turn up etc.

Comments

• You won't get any coverage. Does the fact that two cards with sufficient funds available have both been declined not set warning bells ringing with you? Being registered at Companies House doesn't mean anything, they don't monitor the quality of the service given by companies and anyone can set up a business, take money by wire transfer and then disappear!
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
  • It does ring warning bells but I thought I would check first before purchasing incase I was jumping to conclusions... I suppose I just needed someone else to clarify what I was thinking
  • Give us a link to the site and someone will be along to give you some feedback I'm sure.
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just agreeing with above. If you have the slightest doubt, don't do it.

I believe after 7 days the bank can't physically recall the funds (somebody will correct me if i'm wrong.). Although recalling it within 7 days could be difficult.
  • it is bargain universe dot com (sorry as a new user I can not post the link) they sell all sorts of electrical goods. I wanted an Iphone 4 and they are selling it for £240 + P&P. So I emailed them to ask if it was a proper phone (not refurb) and what warranty came with it. The reply I got was that they only sell genuine products and it comes with 1 years warranty provided by apple. Have a look and see what you think....
  • arcon5
    Just to check, the address your entering, is it the same as the address your card is registered to? If the postcode or the house number doesn't match then that can make a transaction fail depending on their merchant account settings.
  • arcon5
    edited 12 September 2011 at 8:19PM
    http://www.bargain-universe.com/

their domain was registered: 19-Aug-2011

That alone would make me significantly reconsider!!!!!

And 40 Princess Street looks to be office blocks.
  • Yes the address is all correct and card registered to that address.. Thanks everyone for your advice.. I will pass on buying the new phone from there then... lol..
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    let me guess...the £290 iPhone4? come on now...I don't even need to look up the facts to know that nowhere would sell a new iPhone 4 for that...
  • Well sometimes you can get good bargains...but this was just too good to be true.......lol... Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure