Normal waiting time for mammogram appt after finding lump

Options
Hi

My partner found a lump in her breast last week so we immediately visited our GP. An appointment was made for her this Wednesday where she saw a consultant. The consultant did not seem unduly concerned however stated that she would refer for a mammogram test. We just received an appointment letter today giving her an appt for the 27th of September! This seems an awful long time to wait for a mammogram appt when you have found a lump. Is this normal?

Incidentally I paid for my partner to also have a private ultrasound today as I was so worried and the consultant did not feel this was necessary. However as she is 41 I felt that she was borderline for effective mammogram results, as did our GP. The consultant today did say she has very dense tissue and lumpy breasts naturally so I am relieved we did this. Fortunately the ultrasound showed nothing of concern but we were advised to still attend the mammogram. I am very glad we have the US as I didn't realise the wait would be this long.

Comments

• nextyeartina
    nextyeartina Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2011 at 8:47PM
    Options
    i'm so glad everything's ok with your wife. please keep the appointment for the mamogram. a second opinion will more than ease the mind. i went to my gp on the friday regarding a problem i had with my breasts. i got a phone call on the monday from the breast clinic with an appointment for the following day. i don't know if this is the norm in manchester or i was lucky.

t, x

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    when i found a lump i was referred by gp, and seen at hosp within 2 weeks. I had physical examination and an ultrasound and results on same day. Different hospitals must have different policies. Hope your results are clear, as were mine.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Here it is about 3 weeks from seeing the GP to having the mammogram. 27th is really only 4 weeks away so not that bad really.. though it seems 10 times longer when you are worrying!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    When my mum found a lump she saw a consultant within a week.

At the appt, he examined her and then sent her for a mammogram there and then. We both realised that he suspected something as the mammogram request was given to the nurse acting as a chaperone and she walked with us to the x ray department. Once we got there we we offered a cup of tea and after a short delay as told there was a problem with the equipment and could we phone back in the day to see if it had been fixed so that the mammogram could be done. Alarm bells were now ringing.

Anyway cut a long story short the mammogram took place a week later as did the ultrasound.

What I'm trying to say is that if the consultant had suspected anything nasty the mammogram would have been performed a long time before it has.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    When I found a lump my GP asked me to return in 2 weeks as it may have gone as it hadn't I was referred to the hospital. I got an appointment within a fortight and had my mammogram and ultra sound on the same day and also got the results which were fine. If I'd needed a biopsy that would also have been done at the appointment with results a few hours later.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • goldbyron
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Although the ultra sound was okay, the mammogram would completely resolve any worries. The mammogram is five weeks from seeing GP in total and I was of the belief that it would be next week after seeing the consultant with a follow up in 4 weeks although my partner remembers differently. I am just worried that the appointment team have got it wrong. It does seem a very long time even if the consultant wasn't worried. I am tempted, despite not being flush, to pay privately which I really don't want to have to do. The hospital is whipps cross in north east london and does not have a good reputation. I wish on reflection I had asked for a referral to another hospital in London or Essex. It seems unlikely that there is a problem however 5 weeks delay if there was could be crucial. Not feeling very confident in the hospital and worried they have made an error.
  • moomoomama27
    Options
    My Mum went to her GP with a breast lump over the space of an 18 month period, each time she was told it was scar tissue from a benign lump she'd had removed 5 yrs prior, and no follow up was necassarym even though she felt it was something that shouldn't be ignored. She had a mammogram only because she was sent one routinely which showed up the breast lump! Fast forward another 18 months and she now has terminal cancer.

So please, if you are worried, keep pushing it, don't let them fob you off! Although I exoect the US was very reassuring.

We have been told by many consultants, that there should be no more than a 2-3 week wait for a referal.
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Within our area, breast clinic referrals are seen within 2 weeks.

4 weeks seems quite a long time considering but I'm glad all is well OP.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in Hertfordshire and we have a fantastic service at the Breast Clinic in St Albans Hospital. It is a one stop shop & you see a Consultant for an initial appointment, then if they feel it necessary you have an ultrasound followed by a mammogram and then spend a short time in the waiting room before going back to the Consultant for the results. You can be there for half a day but it is well worth it.

I have had to use the service twice and have never had to wait more than a week for the appointment.

Fingers crossed that the initial results from the ultrasound are confirmed by the mammogram, but I do understand the worry and stress caused by having to wait.
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm interested that she went for an U/S first as it is more usual to have the mammogram first and then have a scan if further clarification needed
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport