We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car finance not happy

Hi entered an agreement to purchase new car for 10,000 from black horse. After having car 2 months (vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol) not happy with it. I am putting 10pounds a day in petrol. Realising my mistake that its to dear to run I contacted arnold clarke to swap the car. I had agreed to a vauxhall corsa which would reduce my payments by 25pounds a month and was a 1.2 diesel. When they searched me for finance I was told nobody would finance me-computer said NO. Couldnt understand this as only had the agreement 2months. Spoke with arnold clarke an im now stuck with a car I cant afford to drive. Can anybody help!
«13

Comments

  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well, possibly Arnold Clark are spinning you a line because they don't want to take your car back or, on the other hand, anyone checking your credit files will see you already have a loan and don't want to give extra credit.

    Best course is to call your existing finance company yourself and see what they say.
  • As has been said above, contact your Finance Company and explain the situation to them.

    Perhaps you should suggest that they do any re-finance so they they will not lose out financially. I think you will have to pay an administration fee at the very least.

    Is the mpg you are getting much less than that advertised for your vehicle? I ran an Astra 1.6 8v for six years and regularly got 35-40mpg on a run. Did you not check the mpg before buying the vehicle, or are you getting much less than you should be? Could there be a fault somewhere?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • HW1985
    HW1985 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 August 2011 at 6:10PM
    Rang black horse who said the finance is against the car. As also said to them can i not just change the finance over to another car. They told me to speak to Arnold clarke as i am tied into the contract and without another finance I can't change. I feel im being past to an fro. When I think back to the day purchased the guy was so eager to sell car he didn;t explain that it would cosume so much fuel-Considering I traded in a eco diesel. I just feel ripped off and stuck in a rut now, surley there is something I could do? also arnold clarke suggested I take it in to see if theres a fault but to be honest I now hate the car and begrudge driving it. No didn't check MPG didn't even think TBH.
  • telboyo
    telboyo Posts: 410 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    There are several things you can do, unfortunately most will not have an effect retrospectively:
    1. Think before spending £10,000 on a car- obviously a petrol car is not going to return more MPG than an "Eco Diesel"
    2. Investigate and inquire about the real fuel efficiency of a vehicle before purchase- really simple in this internet age.
    3. Take responsibility for your actions and admit you failed to think for yourself instead of moping around feeling sorry for your self. At 26-27 byrs of age you should really start behaving like some sort of adult.
    4. If the dealer is offering to take the car in and look at it take them up on their offer you have nothing to lose.

    On another point, you say you are putting £10 a day in your car- that is really not helpful information- I used to put £350 per month in my car but was driving 3000 -3400 miles per month. You don't say how much you are driving or what your previous car did per gallon.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 11,057 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    the astra 1.6 that I used to have did drink as it was a 16v, its how you drive them that matters with them and they hate town driving but excellent motorways
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Why on earth are you feeling "ripped off"? just can't see it.

    If I got a car then fancied a new one after a couple of months and the dealer said no, I'd feel far from that.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • heathcote123
    heathcote123 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    HW1985 wrote: »
    Hi entered an agreement to purchase new car for 10,000 from black horse. After having car 2 months (vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol) not happy with it. I am putting 10pounds a day in petrol. Realising my mistake that its to dear to run I contacted arnold clarke to swap the car. I had agreed to a vauxhall corsa which would reduce my payments by 25pounds a month and was a 1.2 diesel. When they searched me for finance I was told nobody would finance me-computer said NO. Couldnt understand this as only had the agreement 2months. Spoke with arnold clarke an im now stuck with a car I cant afford to drive. Can anybody help!

    Thats a cheap car to run. Why are you spending 10k on a car if a tenner in fuel is a big deal?

    Think the dealer is being incredibly kind just to hear you out, let alone offer a trade.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    For more than 20 now years my wife has had a brand new car every 3 years under the Motability scheme. One Vectra and all the rest Astras and we have been very satisfied with the cars. The biggest mistake we made was probably getting a diesel Astra which, with 12,000 miles on the clock after 3 years had not become fuel efficient.
    If your petrol Astra is costing you £10 per day in fuel and you are doing 300 miles per day I would suggest that you are on to a good thing but if you are doing 10 miles per day, something is very wrong.
  • My Sister drives a qashqi, when she first got it she was really upset about the petrol usage, she was putting in an amount of petrol each day, she spoke to the dealer who told her that its no good putting in small amounts each day, the needle gauge doesnt move and it looks like you are running out and you put more in just to be on the safe side. You need to put at least half a tank in when it gets low, idealy fill it up but thats way to expensive all in one go. She put in £30 worth and found that lasted her all week, much better than the £10 a day she was putting in, maybe thats something you should try OP
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    HW1985 wrote: »
    Considering I traded in a eco diesel. I just feel ripped off

    It's not the dealers job to understand your economic and psychological background before selling you a car. Plenty of people would have good reasons for changing from a small economical car to one that is slightly bigger and less economical one.

    Building up resentment for them 'ripping you off' will only make you feel worse and make it more difficult to deal with them.

    One option might be to sell the car and pay off the finance (this will cost you, probably won't sell it for as much as it cost and probably an early redemption fee). Then buy a car for say £5000. This might leave you with say £4000 extra cash that you can use to buy fuel for the next 3 years. 3 years of free fuel instead of £10 a day.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.