IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
tumble dryer whats best?
Views: 63,670
# 1
chardonnay
Old 04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default tumble dryer whats best?

hi mil gave us money to get a new tumble dryer for our xmas. we have heard that reverse tumble ones are the best. we had considered getting a condenser dryer but my mil's friend says her washing comes out smelling damp. is this normal or is it just their tumble dryer.

what would you reccommend vented or condenser?

cheers
married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
chriswuk
Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Washer dryer or just the dryer ?
# 3
becky004
Old 05-01-2007, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardonnay
hi mil gave us money to get a new tumble dryer for our xmas. we have heard that reverse tumble ones are the best. we had considered getting a condenser dryer but my mil's friend says her washing comes out smelling damp. is this normal or is it just their tumble dryer.

what would you reccommend vented or condenser?

cheers
I have had 2 vented and now have a condenser, personally I would never go back to the vented. I love the condenser and my washing has never smelt damp!
I love this board, have "virtually" met so many lovely people, people I am honoured to count as friends although we have never met.
Dec wins Web (1) Book Token FB (0) TW (4) PS3 & Games, Prada Handbag, Tartan Handbag, Lani Vincoli Earrings (Best Nov Win - Currys Christmas Wishlist )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becky004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tawnyowls
Old 05-01-2007, 1:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My experience has been just the opposite - I've found the condenser dryers take longer (backed up by recent Which? report), and emptying the water container is a pain. However, my last two houses have had somewhere to vent the TD through the wall, which is far more convenient. Re your friend - has she checked that nothing's blocking the back and it's at a sufficient distance from the wall? My MIL had the same problem, and it turned out to be a bit of newspaper that had fallen down the back.

If it's a vented one, there's very little to go wrong, so the cheaper makes, like Candy, are likely to be absolutely fine. With a condenser, I'd say it's like a WM - best to go for a decent make, such as Bosch. Reverse tumble I would say is essential, and won't add much to the cost
The Following User Says Thank You to tawnyowls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Avoriaz
Old 05-01-2007, 4:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Reverse dryers are definitely far better than one way dryers and don’t cost significantly more.

Personally I prefer a vented dryer but a good condensing dryer should work perfectly well and not leave clothes smelling of damp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avoriaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
tigertiger
Old 05-01-2007, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with tawnyowls, I've had 2 condenser dryers and much prefer the vented one I have now, drying is faster and clothes come out soft without products like bounce etc. I never had the clothes smelling of damp with the condenser but the vented they do smell better.hth
£900 towards next holiday...ta very much Mr T x
The Following User Says Thank You to tigertiger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
ozskin
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

only go for condense if you cant vent. most a reverse but if you want a bargain there is a white knight is the same as the bosch, just a diff badge, would never recommend bosch now
# 8
a&akay
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you want the bees knees and have gas close by, go for a White Knight gas reverse action. I installed mine 5 years ago and my wife uses it about 3 hours every day! The motor capacitor went at Xmas so I dug out the old electric reverse action White Night from the garage. Essentially the same machine but took 4 times as long to dry an equivalent load and therefore roughly 10 times the cost. The back vent comes out at just above floor level so I drilled a hole through the skirting and wall and put in a proper tumble dryer flap valve in the outside wall. The rules say you must use a Corgi installer but the pipework is simple.

Last edited by a&akay; 07-01-2007 at 12:56 PM.
# 9
nearlyrich
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM

We have the white knight reverse gas TD too ours is about 13 years old and is still the best TD I have ever had. It dries everything quickly including jeans and towels, gets the creases out so no ironing required if you get the clothes out as it finishes.

If you have gas I would recommend looking at this option, slightly more expensive to buy but much cheaper to run.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
# 10
Gingham Ribbon
Old 07-01-2007, 4:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've been looking into this today. We need to put it in the cellar as there is no room anywhere else. There are gas pipes in the cellar and a hole in the wall where the coal shute used to be.

What kind of pipework is involved in using a vented one? Is the gas white knight one vented?

We will need it soon. Our baby is likely to arrive in about 4 weeks and we have a load of nappies to freshen up. I don't want a newborn in hard straight from the radiator nappies if I can help it!

Oh and if it is lots cheaper to use a condenser one, I've heard that you can buy a vented machine and use an adaptor for about £15. Is that the case?

Thanks.
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
# 11
a&akay
Old 07-01-2007, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Gingham. Best wishes for the baby. We've had 4 but the terry nappies were dispensed with after the second was born (a year in between) as the washing machine (WM) couldn't cope! If your OH is handy then the very best is to raise the WM about a foot off the floor but if not you'll have to stoop. They are heavy and a need a strong foundation beause of the vibration. You can then throw the nappies straight out of the nappy bucket in one fell swoop (can be a bit messy at first but your accuracy will improve). If the tumble drier (TD) can be set up at the right of it then you could reverse the door opening on the White Knight (you can with mine) and pull the washing straight out of the WM and throw it straight into the TD. If you don't have the water supply or drain in the cellar for the WM then for the TD you will need the relevant accessories. Block up the coal opening with a bit of ply and insert the vent which comes out of the bottom of the machine through a suitably sized hole. Note the bit about the long vent hose. I would strongly advise gas. The Corgi engineer will advise on ventilation when he installs the TD and could be a vent in the ply. The water vapour plume from the TD will get thrown quite a way out so there shouldn't be much short circuiting if any back through any vent.

Last edited by a&akay; 07-01-2007 at 6:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to a&akay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
catkins
Old 07-01-2007, 6:07 PM

I have had 2 vented tumbledryers in the past and now have a condensing one which I hate. It takes for ever to dry clothes and covers everything in the room it is in in fluff. It is a good make and was not cheap. People have told me it should not send out fluff but I know a couple of friends who also say their condensing tumbledryers do that.

I have only had it a couple of years but am so sick of it I am getting rid of it and going back to a vented one
# 13
abbecer
Old 07-01-2007, 6:31 PM

Sorry to but in on thread but does anyone know where i can get a vent pipe?? for my tumble dryer. Cheap as poss please. Thanks in advance.

Rebecca x

Found the part i needed at a shop through Quidco so will get 8% back.

Last edited by abbecer; 07-01-2007 at 9:01 PM.
# 14
shop-to-drop
Old 07-01-2007, 6:33 PM

I love my condenser dryer I am happy to empty the water and filter each cycle and it has it's own little cupboard to it is hidden and less noisy.
# 15
amandada
Old 07-01-2007, 6:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskin
only go for condense if you cant vent. most a reverse but if you want a bargain there is a white knight is the same as the bosch, just a diff badge, would never recommend bosch now
Sorry to sound thick, but are you saying the White Knight is made by Bosch?
My Bosch TD went kaput this week and I'm looking at £90+ fitting for a new element, but I've seen a WK end of line for £119
# 16
hollydays
Old 07-01-2007, 6:55 PM

I have an aeg.It doesnt dispense fluff (there is a filter on the back of the door that collects this).I dont empty the water each cycle,far from it-it takes days or a week or mor to fill up.With mine you dont estimate the drying time, it has a sensor that switches off when dry.It also has an alarm that you can set if you want to to tell you when its finished.You can also switch it on on "delay" ie 3 6 or 9 hours before it starts.All these features are better for me than a box standard one,but they cost more.Also it doesnt dispel any damp air(we have in in a cupboard so we would definitely notice.)

Last edited by hollydays; 08-01-2007 at 9:48 AM.
# 17
nearlyrich
Old 07-01-2007, 6:59 PM

White Knight TD's are made in Hipperolme in West Yorkshire by a company called Crosslees.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
# 18
shitefourbrains
Old 07-01-2007, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

IF YOU CAN GO FOR A VENTED.
I have had both types and there are several reasons why I vote vented. They are typically cheaper, less hassle, and the damp air is expelled out the house. Our condensing one is used in a small room and manages to expell a lot of damp air into the room, we have to use it with the window open. My sister doesnt seem to have this problem though as hers seems to be a better design.
# 19
andrewmoorcroft
Old 07-01-2007, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

this topic has been covered so many times before. condensing ones are overall more efficient if kept inside the house (not the garage) because although they may take slightly longer all the heat goes into the house instead of the garden! This means that your dryer effectively becomes an electric heater that reduces the conventional heating requirement in your house. No good in the summer though especially if you have to put the A/C on to counteract it! However many people dry clothes outside in the summer anyway. If you look at my previous posts you will find the technical expalanation of why condensor dryers are more efficient overall. Dont be tricked by the A rated ones. Most achieve this by not heating and simply tumbing for hours and hours! If you dont mind this then thats ok but dont expect it to produce A rated efficieny on a one hour cycle!
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewmoorcroft For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
tawnyowls
Old 07-01-2007, 8:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

[QUOTE=abbecer]Sorry to but in on thread but does anyone know where i can get a vent pipe?? for my tumble dryer. Cheap as poss please. Thanks in advance./QUOTE]

Most of the DIY stores should do them - Focus and B&Q definitely do.