Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > DLA appeal form (GL24) tips on completing needed (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DLA appeal form (GL24) tips on completing needed
Closed Thread
Views: 11,217
# 1
luminated
Old 08-08-2011, 9:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default DLA appeal form (GL24) tips on completing needed

I am soon about to complete this form and wondered if anyone has any tips for me? I was awarded LRC but really think this should of been MRC. But no award for Mobility and which I accept as that was always a little borderline in my mind.

They say repeatedly in the claim form "Do you usually have difficulty or do you need help with ............" In my case yes I certainly do have difficulties but being very stubborn I often manage without asking my wife to get too involved. But they say in their letter no problems with several things with which I do have difficulties.

I have started typing out a response but am finding it will not fit in the small box on the appeal form and would take at least a full side of A4 - if not a bit more. Can I overdo it?
# 2
Safetyone
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Give them as much information as poss.my appeal letter was 4 pages long .and at times I repeated myself just to make a point .I learned from experiance that in the beginging I did not provide enough information that`s why I got a knock back ..make it as long as you like and include things that you think may not matter, dont under sell yourself .good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Safetyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
luminated
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyone View Post
Give them as much information as poss.my appeal letter was 4 pages long .and at times I repeated myself just to make a point .I learned from experiance that in the beginging I did not provide enough information that`s why I got a knock back ..make it as long as you like and include things that you think may not matter, dont under sell yourself .good luck
Thanks for replying

I fully agree with all you say. Even though I thought (at the time) I had researched thoroughly it is now obvious I should of given far more information. One of my problems is my still not fully accepting the position I am now in and the support I need. Stubborn I guess?
The Following User Says Thank You to luminated For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Anubis
Old 09-08-2011, 2:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

For my DLA claim an extra 48 pages was sent - took weeks to do with being ill, my daughter typed for me as I would ramble and she added her experiences of my disability in.
How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anubis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
luminated
Old 09-08-2011, 7:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
For my DLA claim an extra 48 pages was sent - took weeks to do with being ill, my daughter typed for me as I would ramble and she added her experiences of my disability in.

Wow! Wow! and Wow!

That must be a record?

So far mine has been collated and is 4/5 pages including a couple of photographs mainly bathroom showing three grab rails, chair in shower and type of things.

I am preying that the DM just upgrades me from LRC to MRC without my having to go to an appeal but ........

Thanks for replying.
# 6
Anubis
Old 09-08-2011, 1:08 PM

Put everything in that you need help with. Whether you recieve that help or not is not important, the form focuses on whether you need that help, so if you put that you can do it with struggle because you are stubborn etc, you may he cutting yourself short.

You must write it from the point of view of "needing help" - therefore if you struggle like crazy to open a jar, and it takes you considerable time and hurts in the process, the fact is you need help with that, it doesn't matter if you manage to get the lid off an hour later.

Also expand on the help you need, for example, if the question is can you walk upstairs, and you struggle doing this, then putting " walking up stairs hurts" is not good enough, you need to expand:

I am unable to walk upstairs unassisted because of pain, and I loose balance easily and become breathless. Lifting my leg makes me very unsteady because I experience weakness in my legs and I
have fallen previously etc

Remember the DM knows nothing about you, so you have to give enough information so they can "see" what your problems are. Do it as though you are explaining your needs to a complete stranger so when you have finished explaining they will know as much about your care needs as you do.

Of course the above are just examples as I have no idea of your care needs, but as long as you are honest in your approach and fully explain from the point of view that you need help with certain tasks because completing them yourself causes A and B then that is all you can do.

Keep a diary for a couple of days or a week and write down evything you need help with, without the stubborn streak . You are like me in that you try to be as independent as you can, I fully understand that stubborn streak
# 7
luminated
Old 09-08-2011, 7:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anubis thank you so much for taking the time to give me (after all a stranger) such a comprehensive answer.

I take on board all your comments/tips and my document has grown () to 7/8/9 pages with my response/s to all the points where they said I have no problem. I have covered each in detail as you suggested, have included a typical days resume (I had before but this one is updated!!!) and included photos showing my twin stair handrails and my bathroom with triple grab handles and seat in the shower. Lastly a typical, day hour by hour, of where and for how long my wife is needed to help me.

I am hoping I will get it done tomorrow but aim to get in the post on Friday to give time to re-look and re-look and make sure

Agains thank you so much and shame I can't click thank you more than once.
# 8
yvonneem
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I took my appeal form to DIAL. The lady there just wrote, on my behalf, that I disagreed with their decision. I enclosed a letter of support from my OT and the result was that the appeal was stopped and I was awarded High Rate mobility but no care award at all.
Apparently that is quite a strange decision for them to make as it is clear that my mobility is very poor and I clearly need help.
My problem now is whether to persue the award for care or not.
Good luck with your appeal...
The Following User Says Thank You to yvonneem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
luminated
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonneem View Post
Hi, I took my appeal form to DIAL. The lady there just wrote, on my behalf, that I disagreed with their decision. I enclosed a letter of support from my OT and the result was that the appeal was stopped and I was awarded High Rate mobility but no care award at all.
Apparently that is quite a strange decision for them to make as it is clear that my mobility is very poor and I clearly need help.
My problem now is whether to persue the award for care or not.
Good luck with your appeal...
I see little risk in appealing my LRC award because I would be gob smacked if they took it away (famous last words - I hope not). All I want is the MRC which after taking advice from several sources including my GP I feel is right.

I was thinking I may get LRM but accept it has not been given but if the Tribunal made that award as well I would jump for joy
# 10
concerned43
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The reply on the appeal form should be short. Just write that you disagree with the decision. Its when the appeal papers come in then you can put in more detail/pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to concerned43 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
luminated
Old 10-08-2011, 7:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned43 View Post
The reply on the appeal form should be short. Just write that you disagree with the decision. Its when the appeal papers come in then you can put in more detail/pictures.
Thanks you so much for replying but this does contradict the advice I have been given - sorry.

I am not building a case for the actual Tribunal. I am trying to give enhanced information/evidence as I understand the DWP DM looks at the case again once you request an appeal. And I'm told there are cases, that if there is new information, they may issue a revised decision letter which has a much shorter timescale than waiting the very long time for an appeal.
# 12
yvonneem
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

All I can say is that every form I filled in was with great detail as I was told by so many people. The result was that I was turned down twice. So I went to DIAL and like I said before, they put very very little on the form. I enclosed one support letter from my OT and the result was HRM.
If you are not sure then I would definitely go to DIAL and ask for their help. They really know what they are doing.

Hope this helps...
# 13
luminated
Old 10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Yvonne

My local DIAL states there is an eight week wait for an appointment to see anyone about DLA issues. Did you get an appointment any sooner than this when you first rang?
# 14
luminated
Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I now have an appointment with CAB this week and it sounds like their person who I will see is good at the appeals side of matters with DLA. So looking forward to it

PS Still wish I didn't have to go through all this faff but...........
# 15
cazpost
Old 10-08-2011, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It may help to include a letter from your wife detailing your needs from her perspective. She probably does a lot of things for you that you don't even think of as being care! This did make a big difference when claiming for my late husband.
(Not suggesting that you don't take any notice of your wife by the way ! )
The Following User Says Thank You to cazpost For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
yvonneem
Old 10-08-2011, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi again, I had no problem with DIAL. The lady that I first spoke to was lovely. I had been refused twice by the time I spoke to them because I was sure I could fill in forms etc by myself. She stayed behind after she had finished work to meet me and filled the forms there and then. I was very very sure that with the little she had written that I would be refused yet again so I was amazed when I got HRM back dated to Jan 11.

I had had an appointment with CAB but thought that the lady I met with was rude and knew less than me about the DWP. As soon as she found out that I worked she just said "Not a chance and you shouldn't be working". She advised me to give up my work immediately and start a claim again.
# 17
Anubis
Old 10-08-2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I had had an appointment with CAB but thought that the lady I met with was rude and knew less than me about the DWP. As soon as she found out that I worked she just said "Not a chance and you shouldn't be working". She advised me to give up my work immediately and start a claim again.
Goodness! DLA isn't an out of work benefit

As for information, the more you put the better it is IF it is worded correctly - several places like work and benefits also recommend this. I have always given plenty of information over the years and never had an issue with a claim, but it has to be worded correctly. I was increased to HRM and HRC this time and indefinitely with the extra 48 pages and the doctors report.
# 18
luminated
Old 10-08-2011, 5:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazpost View Post
It may help to include a letter from your wife detailing your needs from her perspective. She probably does a lot of things for you that you don't even think of as being care! This did make a big difference when claiming for my late husband.
(Not suggesting that you don't take any notice of your wife by the way ! )
Very good point - thank you for raising it
# 19
Coffee Boy
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

[QUOTE=yvonneem;45980883]Hi again, I had no problem with DIAL.]

Please, I am new at this I am preparing my GL24 and am getting lost slightly. What does the abbrev DIAL mean?
# 20
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 08-06-2012, 1:26 PM

luminated, when you fill in the form, make succinct what is what .. .. as in what :

- frequency & duration
- is it done reliably, safely
- is it intermittent or continual
- and where appropriate is the activity using suitable aids and appliances
- and most particularly where those activities cannot reliably be safely carried out without supervision

Most 1T's fail because insufficient quantity & quality of information, you can add as many beautifully printed A4 sides as you wish, make sure however each piece of A4 clearly states your Name: NI No: Date & Sig: and each sub heading states exactly what you comment pertains to for example : - ""My Disability Living Allowance should be more because I need attention at least eight times a day – not “infrequently” as you have said"" etc.
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread