Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1156
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 90,179 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Someone was on the sauce when they wrote this description, which I quote in case they change it later:

"This property is situated in Henllan a village in Derbighshire approximately 2.25 miles northwest of Denbigh. This refurbished character cottage has a reasonable sized southe facing garden enjoying spectacular views over the countryside of Denbighsire and is in a close proximity of two primary schools of Refach-Velindre and Newcastle Emlyn."

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52241739.html

There's no such county as Derbighshire.

Denbigh,
    the town, is about 110 miles from this cottage.

"Refach Velindre" is just a mis-spelling of Drefach Velindre.

And yes, the agent's address is a shed, but quite a nice one. If I were the vendor, I'd rather not help them pay the rent for producing this sort of tosh.....
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 8th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Someone was on the sauce when they wrote this description, which I quote in case they change it later:

"This property is situated in Henllan a village in Derbighshire approximately 2.25 miles northwest of Denbigh. This refurbished character cottage has a reasonable sized southe facing garden enjoying spectacular views over the countryside of Denbighsire and is in a close proximity of two primary schools of Refach-Velindre and Newcastle Emlyn."

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52241739.html

Denbigh
    the townis about 110 miles from this cottage.

The cottage is actually in Aber Banc, not Henllan, but don't let any of the above put you off!

And yes, the agent's address is a shed, but quite a nice one. If I were the vendor, I'd rather not help them pay the rent if they're producing this sort of tosh.....
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Clearly subsidence too as it apparently leans itself (for countryside walks)
    Last edited by RedFraggle; 08-01-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: inability to spell; the irony is not lost!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 90,179 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Clearly subsidence too as it apparently leans itself (for countryside walks)
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    The walks will at least be easier than catching the train at the village station. There's no railway line within 20 miles.

I think the problem has arisen because there's more than one Henllan in Wales. However, if one is going to big-up on local knowledge using Wiki, it's important to get the right one.

They wouldn't have that sort of problem in Devon. I mean, there couldn't possibly be two places in the same county called Woolfardisworthy, could there?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 14,604 Posts
    • 40,041 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52241739.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=e mailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdates1day&utm_term =buying&sc_id=10316786&onetime_FromEmail=true

Denbigh
    the townis about 110 miles from this cottage.

The cottage is actually in Aber Banc, not Henllan, but don't let any of the above put you off!

And yes, the agent's address is a shed, but quite a nice one. If I were the vendor, I'd rather not help them pay the rent through producing this sort of tosh.....
    ....and, if they're hoping to attract the maximum number of viewers, it would make sense to give the names of those schools for people with children (which would probably answer the first question of all that some would have about schools in West Wales - whatever one's own viewpoint about what you wanted from a school here). To save time - it's an ysgol, another ysgol and a "Comprehensive School " in Newcastle Emlyn for instance. Drefach Velindre - also an ysgol.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-01-2018 at 3:48 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 8th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    stoozie1
    What would ysgol in the name tell them, other than it's a school?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 90,179 Thanks
    Davesnave
    School info is provided by Rightmove and not subject to alteration by agents. People can toggle between primary and secondary schools, so I can't see an issue there.

What does puzzle me is the number of schools for which inspection assessments are simply 'not available.' Why not? There's also a large number of 'unsatisfactory' or merely 'adequate' schools.

I think that would put some parents off moving to an area like this, where, apparently, there isn't one 'good' school at secondary level.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 15,151 Thanks
    karcher

I must be missing something
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 90,179 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I must be missing something
    Originally posted by karcher
    It's gone. Pic 12 was the same as pic 11, but with an attractive female peeping around the door.

Vendor may not have liked it, although it lightened what is otherwise a dull property.

Cat's still there.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7,677 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    To save time - it's an ysgol, another ysgol and a "Comprehensive School " in Newcastle Emlyn for instance. Drefach Velindre - also an ysgol.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Most schools in Wales are ysgols.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Ocelot
    When we were househunting we came across this beauty... (add first bit of rightmove address)
    /house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=55409131&sale=88992126&co untry=england
    Goodness knows if its still like this or been gutted since...
    Originally posted by big_satsuma
    Reminds me of this house (which always brings a smile to my face):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.325596,-0.5423515,3a,75y,63.41h,91.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxJD971sJK_baR7CWUWkzXQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 14,604 Posts
    • 40,041 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    What would ysgol in the name tell them, other than it's a school?
    Originally posted by stoozie1
    It's West Wales.

It would tell them the school is a Welsh language school.

Schools will even swop their title totally if they change to become a Welsh language one (from "whatever it is" - eg "x secondary school" to "Ysgol something or other in Welsh") and you can tell your children would be taught in Welsh instead of English.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 8:38 AM.

• By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 14,604 Posts
    • 40,041 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Most schools in Wales are ysgols.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I don't think that's the case.

I think most schools in this part of the country are still "schools" (ie English language).

It's West Wales where one has to check and see which it is (well - some of us would check if we had school age children).

• By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 14,604 Posts
    • 40,041 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's gone. Pic 12 was the same as pic 11, but with an attractive female peeping around the door.

Vendor may not have liked it, although it lightened what is otherwise a dull property.

Cat's still there.
    Quick check back thinking - I saw a woman peeping round bedroom door and didnt remember thinking of her as attractive. She's gone now - after I'd gone back to check if she was....

• LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 24,072 Posts
    • 50,896 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Quick check back thinking - I saw a woman peeping round bedroom door and didnt remember thinking of her as attractive. She's gone now - after I'd gone back to check if she was....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

You and Dave obviously have differing tastes in women.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 9th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Dandie89
    .....and the sign on the road when panning to the right
    • ivavoucher
    • By ivavoucher 9th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    ivavoucher
    Very cheap for the dead centre of Wilmslow
    You have to be stark graving mad

Pic three is dead funny!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    You have to be stark graving mad

Pic three is dead funny!
    Originally posted by ivavoucher
    Nice quiet neighbours!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 90,179 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Nice quiet neighbours!
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Who are not going to have their quiet enjoyment of the land spoiled:

"Notes - The disposal will be freehold where the property will be restricted to a single dwelling to allow quiet enjoyment of the Cemetery."
    • adsk
    • By adsk 9th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    adsk
    Read the listing
    Very boring house jazzed up by a really corny description.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50285556.html
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 10th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 12,512 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    More than a little TLC needed in the kitchen and bathroom.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48447909.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,565Posts Today

5,685Users online

Martin's Twitter