RSPCA and cat

Options
Hi all,

Basic background:

* Tenant left Mother cat and 5 kittens at my house.
* I was able to rehome 2 kittens.
* Didn't want to take mother away because of the other kittens.
* RSPCA were called by the police due to abandonment of the cats.
* They removed the 3 remaining kittens, but left mummy in case she had more kittens.
* They contacted us to check if she had.
* We rang to say she hadn't had any more that we could see/tell.

However, we found out today from the neighbour that they are going to put her to sleep :mad:, they refused to let the neighbour (who has been feeding her for us) take her in as they believed that she was going to return her to the previous owner. She was in tears whilst telling me about it.

We are shocked and to be completely honest heart broken that they are going to do this to her. We thought she would be rehomed as she is a young cat (about 3/4) She is an amazing cat and we've someone that is willing to take her in for us.

Is there anything I can do to get this cat returned to me? :(

I am going to ring them in the morning but I have no idea what to say to them.

Comments

• D3lphine3
    D3lphine3 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Before anyone mentions it, I know I should have taken her if she's that nice a cat but having only just moved house and trying settling my own cats in, I thought it would be a very bad idea.

I really regret that decision now, but I never thought I'd be giving her a death sentence
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly shocking but normal behavior for the RSPCA I'm afraid..I see you've already posted in Cat Chat,may I also suggest you post in Purrs as well.Really hoping for a good ending here.

I've just started a thread there for you,here's the link &good luck.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38205.0.html
  • redrufus
    redrufus Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing surprises me with the RSPCA, they will be able to home the kittens much easier than an adult cat that will take up valuble 'kitten space'.
    Give them a ring and try and trace the cat down and tell them you want it, surely if it was on your property anyway you should have the final say?? I culd be completely wrong on that but worth a try, good luck and let us know how you get on ;)
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    redrufus wrote: »
    Nothing surprises me with the RSPCA, they will be able to home the kittens much easier than an adult cat that will take up valuble 'kitten space'.
    Give them a ring and try and trace the cat down and tell them you want it, surely if it was on your property anyway you should have the final say?? I culd be completely wrong on that but worth a try, good luck and let us know how you get on ;)

It's been suggested on Purrs that maybe the mommy cat is part of a cruelty case which is why they wont release her,in any case,I used to donate to the RSPCA but not anymore,since I found out they PTS healthy animals.
  • D3lphine3
    Options
    Thank You for starting that thread for me, I will go and sign up to the site now :)

I am about to phone them up and see what I can do.

Though I have to say after "meeting" her kittens she was the nicest out of all the cats! The two we were able to rehome were the only 2 that actually interacted with us and didn't try to attack us when they were caught!

The kittens have had little/no human contact. Any they did have was with drug takers and people that couldn't really care less :(
  • covcats
    covcats Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 July 2011 at 10:38AM
    Options
    The RSPCA does not always do as expected from their publicity machines - its a shame a lot of people still don't know.

I would phone them up and tell them that, unless they let me adopt the cat, the next call would be to the local newspaper.
    better still go and see them and speak to the manager of the shelter if it is a local shelter. Shelters are entirely different to the inspectorate even though they fly the same flag.

If its the inspectors you are dealing with, again it might be worth speaking to HQ and threatening the same.

If the rspca don't respond straight away and try and get things sorted, don't let them fob you off. They may delay things and hope that you will lose interest.
    Go to papers anyway. If the papers are not interested then try your local radio stations. You must follow though and make the complaints

The RSPCA is sensitive to bad press, they get enough of it and it must impact on the money they receive..... less for them , hopefully more for us struggling independents!

I do have to say that all rescues are overrun with cats and I know our local RSPCA shelter has a waiting list of 300, so while not condoning their behaviour (covcats are a no kill rescue) , I do always wonder where people actually expect us rescues to put the animals they are so happy to dump on us. Sadly there are too many cats in the UK and the internet is now encouraging breeding for money via a host of free ad sites. We are picking up 6 kittens tomorrow from one such person who couldn't sell the 2 remaining 12week olds and wants rid of them plus the 4 6week olds - she happily told me she couldn't give them away let alone sell them as everyone else has kittens to get rid of. Her mumcats are now being done.
    Unless we get some legislation to control pet breeding, more pets will end up euthanased as there will be no option. All rescues can only do so much.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    covcats wrote: »
    The RSPCA is sensitive to bad press, they get enough of it and it must impact on the money they receive..... less for them , hopefully more for us struggling independents!

Whilst I myself have issues with a lot of the ways in which the RSPCA work, nevertheless they also do a lot of good works.

I feel that your last comment gives an impression of you having an agenda of your own to your replies, rather than them being for the benefit of the OP.

Olias
  • D3lphine3
    Options
    Trying to get through to them on the phone at the minute but they are currently training so not avaliable :(

Unfortunately I have no idea where she was taken, I live in Bristol but the property is in Pentre, Wales.

We were dealing with an inspector called Simon, so I guess he will still be dealing with the investigation. However he never gave us a direct contact number for himself.

Will keep trying to get hold of them.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember your earlier thread, why has she still not been spayed? A pregnant spay is quite possible, Cats Protection should be able to help you with the cost.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • D3lphine3
    Options
    They wouldn't spay her because they thought she was still feeding her kittens.

We never removed her from the house, we told the RSPCA that there were no more kittens other than the 5 original ones. And that we had made sure she was being kept indoors so that she had little/no chance of coming into contact with any of the Tom cats in the area
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure