PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are storage heaters a problem for rental

Options
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a house for rental. Found a great little house, but the only disadvantage I can see with it is that it only has storage heaters. As someone new to the rental game, I am not sure if this would put potential tenants off. There is a gas supply up to the house (currently capped off) - so the question is, would sticking to storage heaters be a problem or should I consider investing in installing full gas central heating?

Any thoughts / opinions greatly received.

Thanks,

Ben.

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Storage heaters are more expensive to run than gas central-heating plus they're a PITA to get the settings right so you rarely get heat exactly when you need it. I would most definitely not rent a property with them
  • GAH
    GAH Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    Storage heaters are a pretty big turn off for most people looking to rent. If you were to buy it, from a rentability and efficency putting in gas heating system would be much better.

Of course there are people out there that won't care, but I personally wouldn't rent somewhere with them.
  • Ninjawombat
    Ninjawombat Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I've rented 5 properties in 6 years. If I'm looking for a new place and I come across a property with storage heaters, I instantly discount it. No matter where or how cheap it is.

Storage heaters are a complete money-sink and a pain to use!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My last place had them - never used them. My only heating was one small fan heater. They can't be used by most people as the heat comes out in the day (when people are at work) - and they're ugly... they also make your electricity more expensive during daytime/normal hours

I wouldn't rent a place that had storage heaters.
  • Ben__3
    Ben__3 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies you've been a great help.
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else who posted they are a pain.

My friend rented a house with them but the landlord asked her to apply for a warm front grant as she was on benefits to get central heating installed. He would not have to pay for it just give permission.

She moved out instead as she did not want the disruption. The next people only stayed 6 months and the property is up for rent again, as no-one wants to rent it with these heaters.
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    I think it depends where you are. Around here a lot of places have just electric heaters. Real old style storage heaters are apparently a pain to regulate but you can get slim line electric heaters now and instant electric heaters are fine. Wall mounted heaters are fine in my experience - you turn them on and get heat - not faffing about with overnight setting etc. - o.k central heating would be nice but how much extra would that cost in rent? It may be a bit more expensive to run all electric but our house is quite warm and well built anyway.
    What's the competition got and what are the comparable rental prices?
    Also I think it depends on the part of the property market you're aiming for - students are less demanding and some young professionals probably wouldn't mind electric heaters as they wouldn't necessarily be at home all day while families will have different expectations.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Pupnik
    Pupnik Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have them in the flat I am in right now and I don't need them as I have neighbours to both sides and above and below so in winter it was perfectly warm without any heating at all- pretty great for my bills! :D I think it depends where you are and what the property is like- I'm in the south so it is rare that it is really cold enough for heating in a block of flat, but if it is a semi or detached building or if you are further north then central heating is a must.
  • starlight_xx
    starlight_xx Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I have them in my flat and theyre a blooming pain BUT I also have a lovely fire in the living room and I hate a warm bedroom. Im on the 2nd floor and I benefit from my neighbours heat ;) To be honest they wouldnt be my first choice but theyre not the worst and my flat is just so perfect in every other way Im happy to have that as my only inconvenience :)
  • Ben__3
    Ben__3 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks df, pupnik, you've given me food for thought :o)

The house is in the middle of a row of seven, with the neighbours each side already running gas central heating. You make an interesting point df about how much central heating would affect the rental and I would certainly be happy/expecting to take a hit on potential rental by sticking with the storage heaters.

Thanks,

Ben.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family