Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 27th Jun 11, 9:52 AM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 34,884Thanks
    Katiehound
    0 WOW
    Tap water for free- on your travels
    • 27th Jun 11, 9:52 AM
    0 WOW
    Tap water for free- on your travels 27th Jun 11 at 9:52 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert insert: This thread's from 2011, but we've checked (on Friday 5 Feb 2016) and it's still working. Check the webpage below or download the Tapwater.org app.

Back to Katiehound's original post...

-------------

As far as I can see as long as you have a refillable water bottle (I don't think you have to have a specific model) you can top at various locations for free. This could be quite useful in hot weather!

http://www.tapwater.org/refilling-stations

The idea is that we stop buying bottled water, not only for the financial cost but the cost to the environment in the form of discarded plastic

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 05-02-2016 at 2:10 PM.
Page 1
    • Chocmonster7
    • By Chocmonster7 27th Jun 11, 10:05 AM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    Chocmonster7
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:05 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:05 AM
    Interesting idea but the nearest place to me is 18 miles away, I'd certainly need a drink after that walk!
    • jbrockwell5081
    • By jbrockwell5081 27th Jun 11, 10:08 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    jbrockwell5081
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:08 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:08 AM
    9 miles away for me; but good idea if you have one near wherever you are going.
  • A.Jones
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:28 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:28 AM
    I bet they will only allow you to do it if you have bought (at high price) their stainless steel water bottle. No doubt they will say it is against health and safety to refill plastic ones.
  • simon_says
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:42 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:42 AM
    It's against the law to charge for drinking water..so unless they refuse to refill your bottle, you can drink as much as you like pretty much anywhere in the UK
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 27th Jun 11, 10:49 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:49 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:49 AM
    30 miles for me!
    • Anacrusis
    • By Anacrusis 27th Jun 11, 10:53 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Anacrusis
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:53 AM
    It's 21 miles for me - but I already have metal water bottles and no where I've asked for a re-fill has ever turned me down!
    • Anacrusis
    • By Anacrusis 27th Jun 11, 10:53 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Anacrusis
    Oh actually sometimes little hot drink stands have said that they don't have cold drinking water - didn't know if it was true or not!
  • vixki
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:55 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:55 AM
    It's against the law to charge for drinking water..so unless they refuse to refill your bottle, you can drink as much as you like pretty much anywhere in the UK
    Originally posted by simon_says
    Yeah but a lot of places refuse to give you water unless you buy something else...

I think that it'd be handy if public loos (eg in shopping centres) had a 'drinking water' tap - so you could fill up water bottles etc, most of the places on this tapwater map are out of the way and that's not very useful.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 27th Jun 11, 11:58 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Which 'Law' would that be then ?
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 27th Jun 11, 2:21 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 6,063 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    Selling Alcohol responsibly - The Mandatory Licensing conditions that came into force April 2010 say
    3. The responsible person shall ensure that free tap water is provided on request to customers
    where it is reasonably available.
    from
    http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/assets/files/New%20mandatory%20licensing%20conditions%20-%20Home%20Office%20April%202010.pdf
    so yes you have to be 'customer' eg spend money first.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 27th Jun 11, 7:57 PM
    • 16,537 Posts
    • 178,805 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Popped into our local HSBC today and they had cold water on tap - it was bliss!! It was one of those machines that you can get a hot drink out of too.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 28th Jun 11, 7:21 AM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    Magenta

Afraid not!
    Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.
    • yorkieorchid
    • By yorkieorchid 28th Jun 11, 8:15 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    yorkieorchid
    A pub local to me charges 50p service charge for half a pint of tap water.
  • jumblejack
    I'd ask for cordial then. Probably cheaper than the service charge?
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • MsBubu
    I thnk charging for water is a total joke. That's why I don't buy bottled one. Tap water is sometimes better (regarding minerals) than bottled water. And some bottled water is actually tap water. I don't know here in the UK, but in North America, Coca-Cola is selling Aquafina, which is actual New York City's tap water!
    2011 Wins: Issey Miyake perfume (from December), Arcancil Nail Polishes, Revlon Fire and Ice Lipstick and Nail Polish, Beauty Hampers, Radox Shower Gels, Neal's Yard Massage oil & Massage Candle, CDs, makeup kits, tanning mist.
    Eleventh Heaven No.198 - 1.2..4.5..7..9.10.11
  • Reverbe
    how odd is that map? the little villages near me are listed but not the large town I live in??
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • lilykim
    I've got two places within short walking distance of my office. Having said that the water at work is fine and I often re-fill a plastic bottle.
    Growing old disgracefully!
    • EndlessStruggle
    • By EndlessStruggle 29th Jun 11, 1:47 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 5,290 Thanks
    EndlessStruggle
    I was surprised to see I have one in the local town in a nice little bagel shop.
    2016.. 8 comp wins
    Slimmin', compin' & bloggin'

Save
    Save
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 30th Jun 11, 9:29 AM
    • 9,540 Posts
    • 33,650 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Hysterically funny - the nearest was 27 miles away, but only if you can walk on water as I live in Swansea & the pub was in Noth Devon!

Without swimming the Bristol channel, the nearest place is 44 miles away.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter