How do I renew Norton Internet Security?

Options
I have Norton Internet Security 2010 which is due to run out soon. To save money, I bought the 2011 Version from a shop instead of their website but now I'm not sure how to renew using it.

Do I have to uninstall the old one first and then put this CD in, or do I just enter the code somewhere? How do I upgrade to the 2011 version? I looked at the Norton panel and found an option to get the latest version, would that upgrade it? I'm confused about how it works and I really don't want to end up with no protection on my computer.

Comments

• bigpound
    bigpound Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    you could just disconnect from internet, uninstall 2010 then install 2011
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could just uninstall Norton and use free software instead... For example:

Avira Antivir
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    Secunia PSI

That would probably be more secure than just using Norton... But if you really want to use it, just uninstall the old version before installing the new one (as bigpound suggests).
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    If you've not changed the default settings on your online account for the old version, then it'll auto-renew and bill your credit card anyway.
    MBAM (free edn) is only an on-demand scanner. Use Avira, Avast or MSE for free, or Kaspersky for a commercial AV program.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get why people junk their computers up with any of these programmes...

AdAware, AVG Free Edition and Windows Defender working in conjunction with one another does the job!

Oh and of course...Avoiding clicking on links in e-mails, steering clear of dodgy !!!!!! sites and gambling sites...

OR, Get a Mac!
  • ankspon
    ankspon Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    Options
    With all due respect the op wants an answer to a question,not recommendations on security.I use Norton and have had no probs with it,my renewal is due soon and i'm not sure of the best way but i will be using the Norton uninstall tool before i download the new one.
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US
  • baby_frogmella
    baby_frogmella Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    Options
    davidhwdn wrote: »
    With all due respect the op wants an answer to a question,not recommendations on security.I use Norton and have had no probs with it,my renewal is due soon and i'm not sure of the best way but i will be using the Norton uninstall tool before i download the new one.
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

The licence key from any Norton Internet Security from 2006 onwards can be used with NIS 2011, so no need to waste your money on renewal costs. Just buy cheap NIS 2006 such as this for a few pounds, then use that same key for NIS 2011. You can even use the same key for NIS 2012 (should be released around Sept 2011).
    PS NIS 2011 rocks! (no i'm not on drugs:p)
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can install Norton 2011 (you could of since it was launched) & your subscription will carry over until it runs out (it will show how many days left @ the bottom of the screen, to add you new subscription just click on subscribe & enter your product key.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    If you must use Norton, paying the renewal rate is insane. It's always about twice as much as buying the current year version from Amazon etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »

OR, Get a Mac!

Well maybe, but look here, one to worry the fanbois:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/26/mac_malware_game_changer/
  • LucianH
    LucianH Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm about to do the same thing (my subscription runs out in s few days). I'm confused why people say that renewing the subscription is twice as much as buying new. The cost of renewal is £25 for 1yr/3PCs and £45 for 2yr/3PCs. The cheapest I've found buying it new is £22 which is only 3 quid cheaper (has anybody found it cheaper?)

And yes I've been looking at freebies but I'm using it across my PC and my two daughters' laptops. And since my daughters are at university I feel more comfortable about them using this product - it's worked well for the past couple of years and it appears to work well as an install-and-forget application.
    Never let it get you down... unless it really is as bad as it seems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure