Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MiserlyMartin
    Coventional boiler won't fire up - pilot ok.
    • 4th Dec 06, 12:22 AM
    Coventional boiler won't fire up - pilot ok. 4th Dec 06 at 12:22 AM
    I have a Potterton Flamingo 50 boiler. Today it just stopped firing up, the pilot is fine. I reset it. The thermocouple for the pilot I replaced only a month ago so thats ok. It doesn't matter where I set the thermostat, which clicks as normal.

This is where my knowledge is patchy, but I presume that theres another thermocouple connected to the boiler 'tank' body which senses when the gas valve should switch off. Question is - is this crucial for the valve to switch ON? Are these thermocouples a common fault in the same way they are for a pilot not lighting?

What I am basically asking is should I replace the thermocouple for the valve before looking at a new valve, or am I totally off track here?

Any help appreciated - its bloody cold in here!

BTW: pump, timer control unit and room thermostats are ok, plus no hot water obviously
    Last edited by MiserlyMartin; 04-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,181Posts Today

7,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Craftyblogging: @MartinSLewis £98 back from EasyJet due to price match, thank you!

• RT @sally_mw: @MartinSLewis Just had £3K refund for missold packaged account AND now have a free bank account.Thanks for making peeps aware?

• Does anyone have a savings statement to hand? (either on paper or online). If so can you check, does it include your current interest rate?

• Follow Martin