MSE News: Talk Talk worst for phone and broadband complaints

Options

Comments

• Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had to take them to court, after chasing them for 6 months, for a £15.46 refund on my old narrowband account.

I ceased the service and, as I always do, took a copy of the message. They took another monthly payment. I complained, they ceased the CPA, and write saying that my account had been credited. AOK? No. No trace of the money. Phone calls, letters, then the final court warning letter.

MoneyClaim Online, and than they acknowledge, which gets them another 14 days. They finally pay up in a letter, dated just before I'd applied for judgement.

Even if they are the cheapest, I will not do business with them again in this, or any subsequent lifetime.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I hope they paid your costs too.
  • fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 April 2011 at 1:01AM
    Options
    siana wrote: »
    I've been with 'Opal' for four years for phone and broadband. They recently cut me off without so much as a letter, phone call or email.

I've just had the same thing happen - I'd been with Pipex for years, through the tiscali take over etc before Talk Talk took them over. After promises of "the level 2" engineer will phone you (they didn't), and the level 3 engineer will have to look into it (they didn't either), the BT engineer will have to come out (took the day off work and he didn't turn up either) after 6 weeks I moved to another provider who got me back online within 12 hours of moving.

Then on Wednesday this week the engineer phoned to say that they couldn't investigate the problem because I'd moved provider. All I wanted was the service I was paying for - surely that's not too much to ask.

My next TT billing date is imminent so I await further developments.

But for those saying you get what you pay for - where I live is too rural for the low prices - all broadband here is over £20 a month - so I expect appropriate service for having to pay 2 or 3 times what other people do.
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I was a happy Tiscali customer many years before they were taken over by TT, and from that point it all went downhill. After several months of intermittent and poor broadband and being sent round in circles through various Indian call centre department I'd finally had enough and cancelled. Luckily I recorded the reference no I was given for the cancellation as a few days later they tried (unsuccessfully) to charge me £379 for breaking my contract. I'm now happily settled with plusnet who have been excellent so far. I pay more, but oh, the peace of mind!

A few weeks after leaving I got a "come back to us" type sales call. I said "If you were the only company offering broadband, and you offered me a year free, I'd rather go back to dial-up. Please don't call me again."
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2011 at 2:48PM
    Options
    I've been with talk talk for a few years and have had problems when things have gone wrong and the call centre people don't seem to say the same things as the last. You know you get put through to someone in Mumbai and they swear it's all going to be done by thursday ... next time it's someone in Bejing or Dublin that says something quite different.

It's very useful to record the calls and it used to pretty easy if you had a dial up phone modem. These days you need something attached to the phone itself.

Sorted me out a few times when I had problems with BT, as soon as I told them I recorded all their calls they very quickly sorted out my problems.. funny really as they originally denied there was any problem with their service and billing.

Talk talk it's just incompetence and lack co ordination, if you're lucky nothing goes wrong and you will like me save literally thousands if £s over what BT charge or would charge for the truely dreadful third rate bait and switch phone services.
    (are they still the worlds most expensive teleco?)

Talk Talk are essentially a good service and at least you do get to talk with someone unlike BT where you can be holding the line up to 1 1/2 hours and then get dropped back to the queueing system.

Talk talk customer services ranges between appalling to quite good depending on which call centre they put you through to ..... always ask for UK based ones if you can .... other places although they may speak good english don't always understand the nuances of native english.
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 April 2011 at 4:59PM
    Options
    These cheap firms are nothing but bad organisation and bad management who resort to cutting their prices to bring in a conveyor belt of unwary parsimonious mugs to replace their haemorrhaged customers.

I proudly display my MSE no cold caller sign on my front door and have enjoyed months of peace, even watching various morons with clipboards pause at the bottom of my driveway, look at the sign and walk on. Then last week, some cheeky cow carrying a slightly hidden Talk Talk ID badge, rings my bell and starts a sales pitch! I told her in no uncertain terms to read the sign again. To give her a closer look at it, I shut the door. :money:She even carried on prattling on through a closed door as I walked away; shows how desperate they are.
    I had to take them to court, after chasing them for 6 months, for a £15.46 refund on my old narrowband account.

I ceased the service and, as I always do, took a copy of the message. They took another monthly payment. I complained, they ceased the CPA, and write saying that my account had been credited. AOK? No. No trace of the money. Phone calls, letters, then the final court warning letter.

MoneyClaim Online, and than they acknowledge, which gets them another 14 days. They finally pay up in a letter, dated just before I'd applied for judgement.

Even if they are the cheapest, I will not do business with them again in this, or any subsequent lifetime.
    That sounds just like their predecessor, Tiscali. Anticipating their f***-up, I cancelled the direct debit so they couldn't carry on billing me after cancelling with them. Oh, they did not like that! After continuing to bill me for two months before the penny dropped that our contract was over, they hounded me with debt collectors for months for £30 that I didn't owe them. It got sorted in the end, but not before a lot of stress and hassle. They paid me the grand sum of £20 in compensation.
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    The direct debit guarantee the banks offer can be used to get money back that has been taken wrongly..

If Tiscali (they were a tricky bunch shysters almost as bad as BT) say you owe money and call in debt collectors .... good.... I'd relish taking THEM to court for harrassment and getting a sizeable payout.
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So what? They are cheap. This is like complaining that you won't be able to preserve your Primark clothes for your grandchildren. I don't want to pay for a call center full of helpful people and perfect quality, it costs too much!
  • albo2002
    albo2002 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure ofcom would receive more complaints about Primus if they had half as many customers as Talk Talk
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    I hope they paid your costs too.

Oh, yes. HM Court Service's MoneyClaim OnLine takes care of that.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure