IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can anyone interpret a Hermes card?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,391
# 1
soolin
Old 06-04-2011, 8:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Can anyone interpret a Hermes card?

I came home last night to find a card in the front door from Hermes that says 'Sorry I missed you' . fair enough except I can't make head or tail of it. All it has is a date, no parcel number, contact details, web address for re delivery. I'm also not sure whether it was left or not as there is writing across the box that is printed 'Item was left' but it is almost illegible.

I think it says 'trial to return' which is illogical, my OH thinks it says 'tried to deliver'. Yet it doesn't say where it was left . The boxes about retaining my parcel are all blank whch makes me think it has been left somewhere.

However, I can see no sign of it and I don't have any logical hiding places in the front garden, I checked under the car and in the bushes, but nothing.

I don't even know what the parcel is as I'm waiting for several items and I thought all of them were supposed to be coming RM. I suppose unless anyone cna come up with a brilliant idea I'll have to wait and see which of my outstanding items doesn't arrive and contact that seller? Assuming it is an ebay item of ocurse as I've got goods outstanding from other online places as well.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 2
greenteajasmine
Old 06-04-2011, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello,

It might not be from an ebay seller because I have had stop delivered via Hermes from Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins!

The shoes that I ordered from Debenhams were left in my black bin on the street that was full of rubbish!

As for the card, I assume they will just try and deliver it another day. I had a card through from them and it said NOTHING but a name and a phone number that appeared to have been written by a small child.

Good luck with getting your parcel safely!
# 3
soolin
Old 06-04-2011, 8:32 AM

I was worried that this might not be an ebay order as my sons at uni buy things online and get all sorts of stuff delivered here, so it could well be one of those items.

Is it normal then for Hermes cards to have no details at all except for a illegible scrawl across them?
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 4
pinkshoes
Old 06-04-2011, 8:37 AM

I had one the other day (can't remember which courier), but where it said "parcel left with", they'd just put "Dave". Luckily my OH has lived for ages, so we finally figured out which neighbour was called Dave!
It's a shame when the right to freedom of speech is not honoured...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
trukdiver
Old 06-04-2011, 9:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
I had one the other day (can't remember which courier), but where it said "parcel left with", they'd just put "Dave". Luckily my OH has lived for ages, so we finally figured out which neighbour was called Dave!
I had two attempted deliveries and a parcel left at a "secure location" (next to the bin ) from Hermes. They didn't leave a card after any of them!
# 6
soolin
Old 06-04-2011, 9:56 AM

Oh dear, I'm a bit worried now.
New to Forum? Guide
# 7
harveybobbles
Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've had cards thru the door from HDNL that says "sorry we missed you" and nothing else. no parcel number, no name, no anything.

A few hours later the delivery driver turned up with said parcel. I asked why did he leave a card with no details. His response was he was calling past here later. Erm...
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 8
youngone90
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

On their website it says they will attempt to deliver three times...so maybe he will come back?
# 9
soolin
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngone90 View Post
On their website it says they will attempt to deliver three times...so maybe he will come back?
My worry is that he has put somehting in the box that is headed 'it was left'. the further boxes referring to redelivery are not marked at all.

All I can do is wait now and see what happens.
New to Forum? Guide
# 10
Mhambi
Old 06-04-2011, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I use Hermes quite a lot for eBay deliveries as they are very reasonable.

On your card there should be an item number (i know you say no parcel number). You can call Hermes about this and use the number as a reference. I know they can do a search by address but I never had to use this. Worth wile to give them a ring as the courier tend to work in given areas and it should be possible to find out who left the card.

Have you got their number? Its on their main side or just PM me and I can give it to you.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
The Following User Says Thank You to Mhambi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
soolin
Old 06-04-2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhambi View Post
I use Hermes quite a lot for eBay deliveries as they are very reasonable.

On your card there should be an item number (i know you say no parcel number). You can call Hermes about this and use the number as a reference. I know they can do a search by address but I never had to use this. Worth wile to give them a ring as the courier tend to work in given areas and it should be possible to find out who left the card.

Have you got their number? Its on their main side or just PM me and I can give it to you.
There is a number that states to call if you want to use their services. I have called that (0844 5437411) and the recorded message warns that they cannot deal with any queries about parcels as they hold no information and I need to contact the courier direct. It then says if you don't have the couriers number to go back to the original retailer who will hold the information.

However, I have just had a response from my last seller to say he used HDN and not Hermes, so I can only assume it is something ordered from a company and not ebay.
New to Forum? Guide
# 12
Mhambi
Old 06-04-2011, 7:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

try 0871 246 1583 that's the number I usually use. You may have to explain a couple of times why you call but I found them at the end always helpfull.
Hope that helps.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
# 13
*onlyme*
Old 06-04-2011, 7:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a card from Hermes today to advise they left a parcel behind the plant...

Now I have a few small plants in my garden, but nothing big enough that would hide a parcel. I had an idea what it is for but when I checked that it shows parcel was delivered and left 'in an outbuilding', which again, I don't have....so am waiting for the company I purchased the item from, which shows delivery to the mysterious outbuilding to get hold of Hermes and come back to me to tell me which/who's outbuilding....

Seems Hermes around the country all get the same training and apply the same common sense...
# 14
SADIE
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sounds like a lazy courier or a new one,

Couriers should leave a card with their contact details, if they haven't left your parcel they should call again the next day, if they left the parcel it should be clear where.

The number under the barcode isn't your item number.

They don't have a web address for redelivery, they depend on the courier leaving their number for arranging a redelivery.
If you contact them they will refer you to the company you ordered from.

If the courier returns the parcel stating 3 attempts and undeliverable, Hermes should contact you by phone or as a last resort by letter.
At least they will be paying for the call.

The Following User Says Thank You to SADIE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
soolin
Old 07-04-2011, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADIE View Post

Couriers should leave a card with their contact details, if they haven't left your parcel they should call again the next day, if they left the parcel it should be clear where.

They don't have a web address for redelivery, they depend on the courier leaving their number for arranging a redelivery.

If the courier returns the parcel stating 3 attempts and undeliverable, Hermes should contact you by phone or as a last resort by letter.
Thank you, your scenario is exactly what has happened so far and as you say the main Hermes number is quite insistent that they have nothing they can add to this problem as they do not keep central records..

The card was left on the 5th and nothing further was attempted yesterday, the 6th and there was someone in the house all day.
New to Forum? Guide
# 16
trukdiver
Old 07-04-2011, 8:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADIE View Post

When Hermes attempted to deliver to my address, they didn't leave a card so there was no way of getting in touch with the courier. I only knew about the two attempted deliveries because the sender had given me the tracking number after I had queried the delivery time. When it was delivered to "a secure location" it was left in a black bin bag, by the bin, about 5 feet from the road. It was there for about three days because there was nobody in over the weekend. If they had left a contact number, proper arrangements could have been made.
# 17
TUS
Old 07-04-2011, 8:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hermes have generally been very good for me, but my local courier is a dead nice guy and always puts his mobile number on the cards so I can call him.

Hermes couriers are normally self-employed agents, so there is no centralised tracking system. You get what you pay for I guess ... a budget service!
# 18
soolin
Old 07-04-2011, 8:56 PM

Still no contact today but one of my ebay items is now well over due and although the seller says it went via the Home Delivery Network I suspect it may have ended up with Hermes.
New to Forum? Guide
# 19
terra_ferma
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

they are a bit funny, these Hermes people... the guy who delivers to me is a bit moody, sometimes OK, other times really rude.
he's never left a card, I think if I'm not in he just comes back, as working from home I'm in most of the time.
don't think I'd ever use them

i get some really dodgy looking people from different companies knocking at my door... scruffy, no manners.. even dodgier looking vans...
don't click here

Last edited by terra_ferma; Today at 0:63 AM.
# 20
trukdiver
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

One thing that worries me: if tracking says they left it at a "secure location" and it goes missing, would it still be covered by anything or would it be unclaimable?
Closed Thread