IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
AA renewal rip off
Views: 18,841
# 1
euan123
Old 21-03-2011, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default AA renewal rip off

I recently got an AA breakdown insurance quote of 113.50.
This covers roadside and relay with a complementary home start.
I went onto the AA web site and found I could get the same cover for 105 and if I take off the complementary home start It would go down to 69.
I rang them and the best renewal they could offer was 90.

So if I cancel my cover and take it out at their best quote I will save 21.

Is this daft and has anyone else found things like this?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
LittleFatFairy
Old 21-03-2011, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't think that they will let you cancel and then take out a new policy straight away. You could ring them back and tell them you will cancel unless they give you the same offer as new costumers. They may reduce the price further. Good Luck with that!
LittleFatFairy

# 3
fungus
Old 27-03-2011, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
Good luck getting the price down!

Money Saving Convert!
Property Deposit: 6038.08/25,000 (24%)
Credit Card Debt-Free by NYE 2011!
# 4
rising from the ashes
Old 28-03-2011, 8:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Have you tried AutoAid? 38 per year & gets great reviews:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=382667
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

# 5
ANGLOJA
Old 05-04-2011, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Aa renewal

My membership is due in may and with ROADSIDE, RELAY JOINT MEMBERSHIP and the complimentary STAY MOBILE FROM last year my quote is 187.00. If i go online and chose the same choices it comes to 130.90 a saving of 56.10.

Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.
# 6
wallbash
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.
Snap . Just be firm ( and polite) You have them over a barrel , give me wot I want , or I walk . Same cover from e.g RAC is cheaper .

Ps this from a AA member since the 1970's
I vote Tory , admired Margaret Thatcher, read the Daily Mail.Concerned about allowing Europe more power.
Will not be offended if you remove me from your Xmas card list.
# 7
xxdeebeexx
Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Same happened to me with the AA. I phoned them up and renegotiated a lower price. I asked the chap why they didn't automatically offer the lower price and he replied " Not everybody wants a discount so we only give it to those people that ask" !!!

Dx
# 8
adwat
Old 17-04-2011, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had the same experience this year... it makes me angry when I get treated like a mug. The AA clearly has done the sums and knows it can make more money overcharging existing customers for renewals rather than charging their best price. Well, maybe they can, but if we all responded to this cynical marketing ploy (more of a business model but anyway..) by cancelling our membership and joining another organisation, they would very quickly revert back to good customer service.
MFi3T2 #98 - Mortgage Free 15/12/2011
# 9
nikki1520
Old 17-04-2011, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have this every year - I always get the best internet price form the competition, and then phone up whoever I'm with and they have to beat it or I'm moving. Always makes me smile when I think of the lady who tried to tell me that if I moved I wouldn't benefit from my no call out discount - she couldn't explain what the benefit to being charged 82 more was!

I'm always polite, and normally the rep has to go and speak to a manager, but it takes 5 minutes.
# 10
Dman
Old 23-06-2011, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't forget to use the cashback sites too, this gives you even more savings, I did this last year, & will be doing the same this year as my renewel is also like previous posts
# 11
Pandora1983
Old 27-10-2012, 12:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
Good luck getting the price down!
I have done exactly this. For years I was bouncing between the two on introductory offers (probably helped as I am unlucky with cars and end up changing them quite regularly) until I discovered that just threatening them with the competitor is enough.

Be warned though. I recently cancelled my cover with RAC due to free breakdown cover coming with my new car. I was harassed by phone, several times a day at varying times from several different numbers for nigh on three weeks before a harshly worded email stating that I considered this behaviour to be harassment, finally got me taken off of their call list. Not sure I'll be using them again in spite of their promise to offer me a greatly reduced rate next year.
# 12
Furball1960
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default AA renewal rip of

I've just got my renewal. It's doubled because they have upgraded me to Silver Membership which includes cover for Europe (I don't and will never drive in Europe) and cover for 17 year olds (I only have a cat who is unlikely to drive??). Not only that but my renewal date 18 May but they have taken the first payment on 4 May??? Not happy. Will cancel.
# 13
itsanne
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Although they invariably bring the price down, I got thoroughly fed up with haggling with the AA on an annual basis, especially as being "honoured" with their "Gold Membership"seems a way to rip off existing customers. This year I voted with my feet and took a bank account which included RAC cover.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itsanne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Buzby
Old 08-05-2013, 5:48 PM

Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.
# 15
cajef
Old 08-05-2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds.
No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
# 16
Buzby
Old 08-05-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajef View Post
No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.
You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.

The reason why firms love this type of payment, is the bulk of folk forget and the payment rolls on. No DD = not having to remember to cancel.
# 17
Valli
Old 08-05-2013, 9:10 PM

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

Quote:
Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.

Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove your ability to renegotiate - or cancel - at all!
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p July 5 Euro note and then some!

Last edited by Valli; 09-05-2013 at 2:26 PM.
# 18
CKhalvashi
Old 09-05-2013, 4:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CKhalvashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli View Post
Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove you ability to renagotiate - or cancel - at all!
We have a free bank account with the RAC cover, however AA are (and have been for as long as I can remember) cheaper for fleet services. There was a much smaller company that they matched easily last year, however I don't know if that's because they wanted 600-odd renewals at the same time . Especially as we typically have about 5 smashes each year, and about 5 breakdowns.

And no, I won't pay them by direct debit, both as it costs more (we get charged with a business account), however much they feel like it!

CK
Irony is America calling itself democratic....

I am here to help, but reserve the right to be blunt.
Next stop: Valetta, Vienna
# 19
cajef
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.
Where in a two year old thread did the OP mention any payment by DD, as for removing your ability to negotiate what a load of rubbish.

You have posted your opinions about DD's in various threads, opinions are just what they are don't hijack other threads with them.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Last edited by cajef; 09-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.
# 20
CKhalvashi
Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CKhalvashi

Sorry, Investec, HSBC and an external shareholder have sorted us out already

Please go and span somewhere else. Reported.
Irony is America calling itself democratic....

I am here to help, but reserve the right to be blunt.
Next stop: Valetta, Vienna
The Following User Says Thank You to CKhalvashi For This Useful Post: Show me >>