Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    euan123
    AA renewal rip off
    • 21st Mar 11, 1:50 PM
    AA renewal rip off 21st Mar 11 at 1:50 PM
    I recently got an AA breakdown insurance quote of £113.50.
    This covers roadside and relay with a complementary home start.
    I went onto the AA web site and found I could get the same cover for £105 and if I take off the complementary home start It would go down to £69.
    I rang them and the best renewal they could offer was £90.

So if I cancel my cover and take it out at their best quote I will save £21.

Is this daft and has anyone else found things like this?
Page 1
  • LittleFatFairy
    • 21st Mar 11, 9:45 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 9:45 PM
    I don't think that they will let you cancel and then take out a new policy straight away. You could ring them back and tell them you will cancel unless they give you the same offer as new costumers. They may reduce the price further. Good Luck with that!
    LittleFatFairy

• fungus
    • 27th Mar 11, 5:53 PM
    • 27th Mar 11, 5:53 PM
    They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
    Good luck getting the price down!

Money Saving Convert!
    Property Deposit: £6038.08/£25,000 (24%)
    Credit Card Debt-Free by NYE 2011!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 28th Mar 11, 8:58 PM
    • 12,327 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    • 28th Mar 11, 8:58 PM
    • 28th Mar 11, 8:58 PM
    Have you tried AutoAid? £38 per year & gets great reviews:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=382667
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • ANGLOJA
    • 5th Apr 11, 9:38 PM
    Aa renewal
    • 5th Apr 11, 9:38 PM
    My membership is due in may and with ROADSIDE, RELAY JOINT MEMBERSHIP and the complimentary STAY MOBILE FROM last year my quote is 187.00. If i go online and chose the same choices it comes to 130.90 a saving of 56.10.

Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.
  • wallbash
    • 5th Apr 11, 10:00 PM
    • 5th Apr 11, 10:00 PM
    Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.
    Snap . Just be firm ( and polite) You have them over a barrel , give me wot I want , or I walk . Same cover from e.g RAC is cheaper .

Ps this from a AA member since the 1970's
    • xxdeebeexx
    • By xxdeebeexx 5th Apr 11, 11:22 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    xxdeebeexx
    • 5th Apr 11, 11:22 PM
    • 5th Apr 11, 11:22 PM
    Same happened to me with the AA. I phoned them up and renegotiated a lower price. I asked the chap why they didn't automatically offer the lower price and he replied " Not everybody wants a discount so we only give it to those people that ask" !!!

Dx
    • adwat
    • By adwat 17th Apr 11, 1:42 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    adwat
    • 17th Apr 11, 1:42 PM
    • 17th Apr 11, 1:42 PM
    I had the same experience this year... it makes me angry when I get treated like a mug. The AA clearly has done the sums and knows it can make more money overcharging existing customers for renewals rather than charging their best price. Well, maybe they can, but if we all responded to this cynical marketing ploy (more of a business model but anyway..) by cancelling our membership and joining another organisation, they would very quickly revert back to good customer service.
    MFi3T2 #98 - Mortgage Free 15/12/2011
    • nikki1520
    • By nikki1520 17th Apr 11, 2:55 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nikki1520
    • 17th Apr 11, 2:55 PM
    • 17th Apr 11, 2:55 PM
    I have this every year - I always get the best internet price form the competition, and then phone up whoever I'm with and they have to beat it or I'm moving. Always makes me smile when I think of the lady who tried to tell me that if I moved I wouldn't benefit from my no call out discount - she couldn't explain what the benefit to being charged £82 more was!

I'm always polite, and normally the rep has to go and speak to a manager, but it takes 5 minutes.
  • Dman
    Don't forget to use the cashback sites too, this gives you even more savings, I did this last year, & will be doing the same this year as my renewel is also like previous posts
  • Pandora1983
    They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
    Good luck getting the price down!
    Originally posted by fungus
    I have done exactly this. For years I was bouncing between the two on introductory offers (probably helped as I am unlucky with cars and end up changing them quite regularly) until I discovered that just threatening them with the competitor is enough.

Be warned though. I recently cancelled my cover with RAC due to free breakdown cover coming with my new car. I was harassed by phone, several times a day at varying times from several different numbers for nigh on three weeks before a harshly worded email stating that I considered this behaviour to be harassment, finally got me taken off of their call list. Not sure I'll be using them again in spite of their promise to offer me a greatly reduced rate next year.
  • Furball1960
    AA renewal rip of
    I've just got my renewal. It's doubled because they have upgraded me to Silver Membership which includes cover for Europe (I don't and will never drive in Europe) and cover for 17 year olds (I only have a cat who is unlikely to drive??). Not only that but my renewal date 18 May but they have taken the first payment on 4 May??? Not happy. Will cancel.
    • itsanne
    • By itsanne 6th May 13, 11:23 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 9,615 Thanks
    itsanne
    Although they invariably bring the price down, I got thoroughly fed up with haggling with the AA on an annual basis, especially as being "honoured" with their "Gold Membership"seems a way to rip off existing customers. This year I voted with my feet and took a bank account which included RAC cover.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 8th May 13, 5:48 PM
    • 7,898 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Buzby
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 8th May 13, 7:16 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    cajef
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds.
    Originally posted by Buzby
    No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 8th May 13, 8:01 PM
    • 7,898 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Buzby
    No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.
    Originally posted by cajef
    You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.

The reason why firms love this type of payment, is the bulk of folk forget and the payment rolls on. No DD = not having to remember to cancel.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th May 13, 9:10 PM
    • 19,181 Posts
    • 219,744 Thanks
    Valli
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.

Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove your ability to renegotiate - or cancel - at all!
    Last edited by Valli; 09-05-2013 at 2:26 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 9th May 13, 4:47 AM
    • 7,728 Posts
    • 21,795 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove you ability to renagotiate - or cancel - at all!
    Originally posted by Valli
    We have a free bank account with the RAC cover, however AA are (and have been for as long as I can remember) cheaper for fleet services. There was a much smaller company that they matched easily last year, however I don't know if that's because they wanted 600-odd renewals at the same time . Especially as we typically have about 5 smashes each year, and about 5 breakdowns.

And no, I won't pay them by direct debit, both as it costs more (we get charged with a business account), however much they feel like it!

CK
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th May 13, 11:29 AM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    cajef
    You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.
    Where in a two year old thread did the OP mention any payment by DD, as for removing your ability to negotiate what a load of rubbish.

You have posted your opinions about DD's in various threads, opinions are just what they are don't hijack other threads with them.
    Last edited by cajef; 09-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 10th May 13, 10:32 AM
    • 7,728 Posts
    • 21,795 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Sorry, Investec, HSBC and an external shareholder have sorted us out already

Please go and span somewhere else. Reported.
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

5,028Users online

Martin's Twitter