Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Thomask
    Refunds on unused train tickets
    • 19th Mar 11, 7:38 PM
    Refunds on unused train tickets 19th Mar 11 at 7:38 PM
    Hi

Hoping people can shed some light here!

- Can refunds be obtained on the unused return portion of a train ticket? If so, does it apply to Off-Peak and -Super Off-peak tickets? My understanding is it excludes Advance ticket types?

- Most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie The Train Line, My Train Ticket etc.

- How is the refund calculated? Is it exactly half of the full ticket cost less what appears to be a 10 admin fee?

- How long do I have to claim the refund? Can this be done online?

- If I am claiming on more than one ticket would the 10 fee apply in each instance? Seems a lot for an admin fee.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
  • Stigy
    • 19th Mar 11, 9:26 PM
    • 19th Mar 11, 9:26 PM
    Unless a specific advance type ticket, I'd imagine refunds would not apply unless there's a very good reason (such as the specific train was cancelled or there was severe disruptioin etc).
  • dzug1
    • 20th Mar 11, 10:58 AM
    • 20th Mar 11, 10:58 AM
    There's no such thing as the return portion of an advance ticket - they are all singles. You can't get a refund, but if you do it before the original departure time you can chnage it to another train, paying any difference in fare plus a 10 admin fee.

Normal tickets (ie not advance) can be refunded less a 10 admin fee including part used ones. It's per ticket. I think officially you have 28 days to apply. Don't know procedure

But why are you buying through agencies when you can buy from virtually any train comany at the same price with no fees?
  • AirlieBird
    • 20th Mar 11, 2:25 PM
    • 20th Mar 11, 2:25 PM
    You can get a refund for unused portions of off-peak and anytime tickets. Details of how to claim are in the 'help' or 'FAQ' sections of the websites you bought tickets from. I suspect the refund would be the difference between a Single and Return ticket, which in the case of off-peak tickets is usually 1 and 'off-peak Day' tickets 10p.
    • Broadstone
    • By Broadstone 20th Mar 11, 3:54 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Broadstone
    • 20th Mar 11, 3:54 PM
    • 20th Mar 11, 3:54 PM
    Hi

Hoping people can shed some light here!

- Can refunds be obtained on the unused return portion of a train ticket? If so, does it apply to Off-Peak and -Super Off-peak tickets? My understanding is it excludes Advance ticket types?.
    Originally posted by Thomask
    Yes....You can get refunds for any unused tickets apart from advanced ones; although I have managed to do this on occasions with advanced ones.

I don't know why your tickets are unused. If need be, just be creative when giving reasons for them being unused; being ill is a good reason.

Most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie The Train Line, My Train Ticket etc.

- How is the refund calculated? Is it exactly half of the full ticket cost less what appears to be a 10 admin fee?

- If I am claiming on more than one ticket would the 10 fee apply in each instance? Seems a lot for an admin fee.
    You should get a full refund for the unused part of the return ticket less the 10 admin fee. For each railway company or 3rd-party agencies, try insisting 10 admin fee is applied only once for many instances. If they don't comply, just post an update on this thread for an escalation contact.

How long do I have to claim the refund? Can this be done online.
    I believe that it is one calendar month for most agencies and raliway companies. Read their T&Cs to confirm. Some railway companies and agencies let you claim on-line whereas other require postage. It will be on their websites.
    Last edited by Broadstone; 20-03-2011 at 3:56 PM.
  • moonrakerz
    • 21st Mar 11, 2:46 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 2:46 PM
    - most of my tickets are purchased through third party ticket sellers - ie the train line, my train ticket etc.
    Originally posted by thomask
    why ???...........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin