Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Greenfingered MoneySaving > How long do chilli seeds take to germinate?! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long do chilli seeds take to germinate?!
Closed Thread
Views: 4,691
# 1
tink1981
Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Red face How long do chilli seeds take to germinate?!

Hi

Just after a bit of advice...

We planted some seeds back on 14th Feb and I was just wondering how long to leave them before I give up hope of seedlings. We followed the instructions on the packet. We planted mid-feb, we've kept them covered and moist and have kept them indoors on a shelf near radiator. I've left a thermometer with them and it seems to have been generally between 15-18 degrees.

It said on the pack that they should start to appear in 7-14 days and we're now over 3 weeks and there's still no sign.

I'm a new to growing my own and I'm not sure if there's anything more we can do or if it's just a case of being a patient a wee while longer.

We do live in the north, not sure if that'll have much bearing on things with them being kept indoors!

tink x
# 2
valk_scot
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

How moist? If you've been adding too much water they could have just rotted. Dig one up and have a look at it.
Val.
# 3
sirbrainy
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM
PPR

I don't think they're quite warm enough. Have you got a spot where it is reliably at least 22-23C?
http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbrainy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tink1981
Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for replies... think I will try moving them to the boiler cupboard and see if that helps
# 5
smk77
Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM

I put 15 jalapeños in my heated propagator (about 26c) middle of last week. I can see 3 or 4 have come up already. The can take 3-4 weeks but you may want to consider trying another batch somewhere a bit warmer just in case!
# 6
yumyums
Old 09-03-2011, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mine all seem to have taken around 10 days in the heated propagator. Not sure what temperature it's at as it's only a cheapy one.
I managed to germinate some sweet peppers on a sunny windowsill in 16 days but not sure if these need as high a temp as chillies
# 7
Air Cooled 75
Old 09-03-2011, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yep, mine were doing nothing until I upped the heat, now they've all germinated. My sweet peppers on the other hand are a different story though, still waiting for those, none have germinated and I'm wondering where I'm going wrong...
# 8
Sunnyday
Old 09-03-2011, 9:47 PM

Mine all have the tiniest of shoots coming out of the seeds.

They are on damp kitchen roll in jars laid on their sides, the end of the jar is covered in a piece of kitchen roll held on with an elastic band.

I put them in the airing cupboard but have wrapped them in a towel on top of a radiator before.

I mist the jars with a water spray every couple of days and when the seeds are really on their way i pop them into pots on a sunny windowsill near a rad.

I got this idea from someone else on here after having quite a lot fail to germinate.

HTH

SD
Planning on starting the GC again soon
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnyday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
smarttart
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I planted ours in an unheated propagator on the 21st Feb along with basil, sweet peppers and aubergines and have had nothing come up yet. I did notice that there were a lot of what look like fruit flies crawling around on the soil and flying around the room. I was worried that they were fungus gnats so I've chucked the tray in the greenhouse and replanted some more seeds at the weekend.

I think I'm going to need to invest in a heated propagator by the sounds of things.
# 10
point3
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I sowed a packet of 6 Naga Jolokia seeds 2 weeks ago and now I have my first leaf - how exciting!
# 11
smk77
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by point3 View Post
I sowed a packet of 6 Naga Jolokia seeds 2 weeks ago and now I have my first leaf - how exciting!
Enjoy your Naga's!!

Towards the end of the year strip all the foliage off to over winter them so they look something like this (taken from thechilliking.com)

I did this and now the one Naga that I successfully grew from seed (they've got a low germination rate!) looks like this:

It's rather strange looking with that big side shoot i'll have to secure but it's even got some buds on! I reckon I'm therefore about 3 months ahead so a long growing season ahead!

I also took the seeds from one of my Naga chillies and planted about 6 of them a couple of weeks ago and one of them has now germinated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smk77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
lisa26
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Mine haven't germinated yet either :-( I've had them in a propagator next to a south facing window and the toms have come up but none of the chillis or peppers have. I guess its not warm enough!

Soo.....do they need light as well as warmth? Would putting them next to a radiator thats on for ~3 hours a day help? I could put them next to the hall radiator but there's not much light in there or I could move them to another south facing widowsill that has a radiator under it.

Thanks
# 13
ginvzt
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM

I don't think you need light to germinate the seeds, just heat (not too much, I guess). Once the seeds are out, then they would need light, i would have thought.
Slinky for Santa 2014 - 0/12lb
# 14
Pixiechic
Old 10-03-2011, 5:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginvzt View Post
I don't think you need light to germinate the seeds, just heat (not too much, I guess). Once the seeds are out, then they would need light, i would have thought.

I have put mine in the airing cupboard, no light but nice and warm. I hope they don't need light until they are out. Can anyone confirm that please?
# 15
emiff6
Old 10-03-2011, 7:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via ICQ to emiff6

This is a germination list for peppers in general, giving the number of days to germination and the percentage of seeds that germinate at that temperature. So it seems 20 degrees is the optimum temperature for success.

10 degrees C 25 days (70% germination)
15 degrees C 13 days (96% germination
20 degrees C 8 days (98% germination)
25 degrees C 8 days (95% germination)
30 degrees C 9 days (70% germination)
If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
# 16
Sunnyday
Old 10-03-2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiechic View Post
I have put mine in the airing cupboard, no light but nice and warm. I hope they don't need light until they are out. Can anyone confirm that please?
Nope they definitely don`t need light, mine all have shoots and they`ve just been potted up today

SD
Planning on starting the GC again soon
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnyday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
lisa26
Old 10-03-2011, 9:12 PM

Having posted on here earlier I came home to find a few little green shoots have started to peep through! Will leave them where they are for now and hope that a few more appear!!
# 18
tink1981
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Moved pots to the airing cupboard on wednesday and when went to check the boiler there were 4 shoots coming through... yeay!!
# 19
Lotus-eater
Old 11-03-2011, 1:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk77 View Post
Enjoy your Naga's!!

Towards the end of the year strip all the foliage off to over winter them so they look something like this (taken from thechilliking.com)

I never knew you could strip them down that much. I'll have to remember that for the end of the year.
Thanks.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
# 20
smk77
Old 11-03-2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus-eater View Post
I never knew you could strip them down that much. I'll have to remember that for the end of the year.
Thanks.
yep, just give them water when needed to keep them ticking over. You should also re-pot them with some nice fresh compost.
The Following User Says Thank You to smk77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread