Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How much for fascias, roof trims, guttering and s... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much for fascias, roof trims, guttering and soffits
Views: 55,934
# 1
mwa
Old 01-03-2011, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How much for fascias, roof trims, guttering and soffits

Hi there

Has anyone had recent quotes for replacement with UPVC for fascias, roof trims, guttering and soffits?

We're in a 3 bed semi so there is one side and front and back that needs doing. Anglian have been around but my husband got called away suddenly with work and they refused to quote me (I imagine because you need 2 people to sign a finance agreement, having worked in sales myself!) They measured up and are waiting for me to make an appointment.

I am dreading getting several companies around to quote as I know it's sensible but the thought of spending my evenings with salesmen isn't great . The guy from Anglian wouldn't give me any indication - are we talking 1k, 2k, 3k ???

Any advice would be very welcome and gratefully received!

MWA
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
muskoka
Old 01-03-2011, 8:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If its any help, I was quoted 2K for soffits & fascias. I declined the quote - figure I can do much better - but maybe not. Its not hghest on my list at the moment (quote for a 3 bed double fronted semi)
# 3
phill99
Old 01-03-2011, 8:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You should be paying between 45 and 60 per metre to include gutters and facias. Anything beyond that is excessive. Anglian will be extremely high. You would be as wise to get a local builder in to quote. They will be much cheaper.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 4
docmatt
Old 01-03-2011, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Whatever you do make sure the company removes all the timber and not overclad. Where are you based?
# 5
spirit
Old 02-03-2011, 6:25 AM

Agree with the poster who said not to use Anglian. They are over expensive. Ask around your neighbours to see who they used. Also yes, they must remove the timber or asbestos soffits (mine were asbestos in a 1970s house)

I used a local firm, a one man band guy actually and you don't get the hard sell. He was recommended on my work intranet - do you have something similar?

Last year for my 3 bed semi in West Berkshire, I paid 1500
# 6
ailuro2
Old 02-03-2011, 6:50 AM

We are in a 3 bed semi, someone put an ad through the door yesterday with a price of 695 on it for guttering, fascias etc.
We're in Scotland, if that's any help to you.
Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
# 7
mwa
Old 02-03-2011, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks all - am in Cornwall. I may get a builder in to quote as suggested, sound sdumb but I never considered that they could do that sort of thing!!!
# 8
docmatt
Old 02-03-2011, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailuro2 View Post
We are in a 3 bed semi, someone put an ad through the door yesterday with a price of 695 on it for guttering, fascias etc.
We're in Scotland, if that's any help to you.
Don't touch them with a bargepole mate.
# 9
Mrs Arcanum
Old 02-03-2011, 6:36 PM

Three bed semi with hipped roof (3 sides = 2 corners), had Gutters, down pipes & fascias done last year for 1,890. Neighbour with the same set up as us, theirs done through her works and even they were charged 1,600. The work should take 2 people about 2/3 days and materials will be a good part of the cost along with the scaffolding.
"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad
Unless backed up by a link, my comments are just my opinion.
More paid off than owing on debts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Arcanum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
spirit
Old 02-03-2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa View Post
Thanks all - am in Cornwall. I may get a builder in to quote as suggested, sound sdumb but I never considered that they could do that sort of thing!!!

Have a look in your local free newspaper. they ususally advertise in there too.

My sister lives in Cornwall and finds things cheaper there than up here as labour charges tend to be lower.
The Following User Says Thank You to spirit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
pedro_uk
Old 02-03-2011, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We are in a 3 bed terrace & someone put an ad through the door just before Xmas with a price of 500 to take down &
take all old guttering away & over-clad with new fascias board & guttering etc.

PS: With all the snow we had at the time a lot of them are hanging off or are warped. (White Van, Yellow & black stripes on the back)
The Following User Says Thank You to pedro_uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
mwa
Old 07-03-2011, 7:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just an update for anyone interested - had Anglian out today and the following quote for total replacement of guttering, fascias, soffits and downpipes all replaced in UPVC (white) and including complete take down of existing:

LIST PRICE 7200
PRICE WITH DISCOUNT 4200

!!!!!

I sent them on their way and received a call later from the 'manager' offering 3600 as their lowest price but this still sounds way too much so I politely declined.

Am going to get some quotes from local builders and see how I get on.

Was very surprised at the high cost as I was expecting something less than 2k based on what people said here.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
phill99
Old 07-03-2011, 7:34 PM

How the hell do Anglian get away with it? the materials will be no more than 350 and it will take 2/3 guys a day. And they think they are doing you a favour at 3600.

Thats outrageous.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
The Following User Says Thank You to phill99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
docmatt
Old 07-03-2011, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
How the hell do Anglian get away with it? the materials will be no more than 350 and it will take 2/3 guys a day. And they think they are doing you a favour at 3600.

Thats outrageous.
Full replacement fascia is expensive and Anglian use 20mm jumbo board. You can't do a replacement job off ladders as you have to push back/take off the first row of tiles so it's usually scaffolded/easi-decked. Agree 3.6k still expensive
# 15
darich
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
How the hell do Anglian get away with it?
Because unfortunately, not everyone shops around, and many people sign up to those prices.
As long as people continue to pay, the prices will continue to be quoted.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
The Following User Says Thank You to darich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
typeractive
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not sure if this helps at all, but my builder just changed the fascias, and guttering on the back of my house (except the soil pipe - which I will do soon). He did a great job. Took best part of a day due to some fiddly bits - I was there to watch / chat and loan a hand.

Looks really good - 200 all in (parts and fitting) I think my mate thought that was a bit pricey, though in comparison to some of the prices on here it seems really good. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, as I didn't have any soffits to replace etc. Literally just fascias, guttering with the clips etc, down pipes.

...wish I could say the same for my plumber who I'm having concerns with at the moment.
"The future needs a big kiss"
# 17
StockportGerbil
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi!
Just had a quote from "Jones Windows Systems" for 3675 if I sign up in the next week for my semi. Interestingly they did the house opposite (identical to mine) for 1700 and a terraced house in the same block for 1000. Having seen them at work twice now, they do do a replacement job up ladders as they use wedges to raise the first couple of rows of tiles then push the wedges up to slide the plastic underneath. It takes 3 lads 5 hours to do the job.
Does anyone have any recommendations for builders / roofers in the South Manchester area?
Thanks
Kevin
# 18
lancashire lad
Old 09-03-2011, 12:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockportGerbil View Post
Hi!
Just had a quote from "Jones Windows Systems" for 3675 if I sign up in the next week for my semi. Interestingly they did the house opposite (identical to mine) for 1700 and a terraced house in the same block for 1000. Having seen them at work twice now, they do do a replacement job up ladders as they use wedges to raise the first couple of rows of tiles then push the wedges up to slide the plastic underneath. It takes 3 lads 5 hours to do the job.
Does anyone have any recommendations for builders / roofers in the South Manchester area?
Thanks
Kevin
A6 Windows posts on here regarding windows and fascia and is in manchester
# 19
docmatt
Old 09-03-2011, 7:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockportGerbil View Post
they do do a replacement job up ladders as they use wedges to raise the first couple of rows of tiles then push the wedges up to slide the plastic underneath
This method has cowboy written into it. First of all even the best fitters struggle to do a replacement job off ladders (I've done it 20 years plus and its very awkward) and, secondly, wedges under tiles works but you can't effectively install eaves trays properly and the fascia is never straight afterwards. Trust me.

Mw Roofline are a Midlands based company but they do up north every other month iirc. 0121 353 5646
# 20
nat-nat
Old 08-04-2011, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile fascia and soffit

Hi all

just wanted to post a reply regarding fascia and soffit...my husband owns a company that does this job and for a 3 bed semi he would charge around 2000 all in easi dec and all plus disposal of old.

Hope this helps x

Last edited by nat-nat; 08-04-2011 at 3:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nat-nat For This Useful Post: Show me >>