Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Domestic & General (Acting on behalf of sky) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Domestic & General (Acting on behalf of sky)
Closed Thread
Views: 5,742
# 1
user051105
Old 18-11-2006, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Domestic & General (Acting on behalf of sky)

We have had lots of missed calls over the last week from 01273 861500, after some research it appear Sky has sold my information to 3rd parties.

When you answer the phone, they have all your details, Name, Address, Ex-Directory Number, Sky Account Number & Bank Details.

They try to sell you extended cover usual spiel, now as I said above I did the research ready for the next call, that was today I played along until they asked me for a Credit Card Number, Date Of Birth, Security Code, and all my personal details.

I thought they already had them, so it sounds like a scam to me and when i said what sort of scam is this, they said we will call you again soon and hung up.

Below is a letter I will send to Sky, can anyone offer any information.

Quote:
I subscribe to SKY and provided the neccessary information required to obtain a subscription.

I did not give permission for my personal information to be shared.

AT 11.03 on 18/11/2006 I received a phone call from a telemarketing company apparantly "on behalf" of Sky. They not only knew my ex-directory phone number but my name also. When challenged, the operator would not disclose the company and informed me his name was Thomas- no surname.

Using BT 1471 I ascertained that the call had originated from Domestic and General "on behalf of Sky"- tel no 01273 861500

I believe that this is a breach of the Data Protection Act and probably a breach of my Article 8 Human Rights (Right to a private and family life).

I am considering my options as to how to pursue this further but am prepared to await your response and reasoning about this breach of privacy.

I shall be sending a copy of this e-mail to Domestic and General for their input also.

Regards
Surely, after you tell Sky upon signing up that you do not want your information used for any marketing or passed on to 3rd parties. I am signed up for TPS.

Any help appreciated
# 2
Darksun
Old 18-11-2006, 8:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Are you sure Sky are actually responsible for passing on the information? I know people who don't have Sky have been called by 'Sky' asking for account details.
# 3
Saversbabe
Old 18-11-2006, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default It's not a scam.

Domestic and General handle all extended warranties on Sky equipment as well as extended warranties for most manufacturers of white goods so its not a case of Sky "selling" your information in a sinister way! My husband used to work for D&G and they were discouraged from giving out their surnames as a result of unfriendly customers sending personally addressed correspondance to their offices containing complaints etc etc. Not very nice for the individuals concerned as you can probably imagine, after all they're only doing their job. The reason they ask for your card details is because you can't pay for the extended warranty direct from your bank account without a direct debit being set up if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.
# 4
Darksun
Old 18-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saversbabe
Domestic and General handle all extended warranties on Sky equipment as well as extended warranties for most manufacturers of white goods so its not a case of Sky "selling" your information in a sinister way!
If this is the case, and the OP opted not to have their details passed onto third parties by Sky, I believe Sky are in breach of the Data Protection Act.
# 5
Astaroth
Old 18-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to Astaroth

I, a long time ago, used to have to do these calls. Whilst the policy was underwritten by D&G we were actually phoning from Sky (though we worked for a third party company and were all employed though an agency so it did get very confusing who you actually worked for). We had access to the Sky systems (though very limited) and it was this that threw up the telephone numbers to go into the power dialer

things could have changed since my day though.
All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
# 6
Darksun
Old 19-11-2006, 2:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK, I think the best bet for the OP would be to write a letter to sky stating a concern that the information may have been passed onto a third party, and asking for full disclosure on how the information is shared with this other company. Hopefully it should set your mind at rest.
Closed Thread