let down by my business manager!!

Options
Thankyou,, in advance for any advice you may be able 2 offer.
I posted a thread in BUDGETING AND BANKING yesterday,sorry in advance its a very long thread and i havnt got a clue how to move it here.im very much a newbie to the forum and would be so gratefull,if anyone from small business forum,could possibly help..
My business managers responce to support and guidance,was a very detailed and humiliating answer machine message,which played allowed whilst i was with a customer.
The message contained a personal conversation,relating to my finnancial situation,account information and cheque details.
As you can imagine,my customer felt as awkward as i did,,reputation is so important in any business big or small,growing or slowing.
My complaint was upheld for breach of data protection,they have heard the detailed message!......im very unsure as to my rights,i do feel very let down and i really dont think SORRY is a sattisfactory responce.Is it just me? would sorry fix such a breach,if i had a multi-million pound company?,,,,,x:o

Comments

• steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    I'll reply with the correct English grammar and spelling.

What compensation are you looking for? What have the bank offered you?

Why did you continue to listen to a message in front of a customer?

Why have an answerphone which is in earshot of the customers?

If you feel that strongly then leave them and open an account with someone else.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • J9L
    J9L Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I am a one man band, nail technition.Once i am with a customer,i am unable to take calls.My answermachine allows a call back request to be placed.
    I am also a single parent of a dissabled child,right or wrong,for my own peace of mind,should i ever need to be contacted,in an emergency,i can feel confident,that i will hear the call.
    I wasnt offerd any compensation,just an apology for the breach.
  • steve1980
    Options
    So your answerphone automatically plays the message back?

To be fair to the bank, they haven't done anything wrong. They left a message on your answerphone but it was YOU who played it back or let the machine automatically play out loud when people leave a message. How are they to know that the answerphone plays out loud when they leave a message?

Also, to help your spelling and grammar why don't you download iespell? This helps everyone to read your posts and also helps you with your spelling mistakes, which will help you in your business.
  • J9L
    J9L Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I have downloaded spell checker as you so kindly advised.
    I am very grateful for your time and comments.However i feel that a business manager,should be familiar with good practice and security precautions.The disclosure and handling of customers personal information,should at all times be carried out,in accordance with the data protection act 1998.
  • steve1980
    edited 25 February 2011 at 12:56PM
    Options
    But he left a message on your phone. He's not to know that it broadcasts the message live?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    J9L wrote: »
    I am very grateful for your time and comments.However i feel that a business manager,should be familiar with good practice and security precautions.The disclosure and handling of customers personal information,should at all times be carried out,in accordance with the data protection act 1998.

But it's entirely your problem if you decide to set up your equipment that then broadcasts this.

As I understand it, what you are saying is when your answer phone answers, you have set it up for call screening meaning you can hear what is being said/recorded (giving you the option to answer if you want)

I would never have this set up where a customer (or anyone else) could overhear. You have no idea who is calling you. Perhaps it's a customer with a complaint? More than that, it would be a disturbance and lack of respect to the customer. If the call may be so important you can't miss it, you should make your excuses to the customer and take the call (Don't be surprised if the customer makes a dash for the door if you place someone else above them in importance!)
    Either ensure calls are received silently, or ensure your answer machine is located where it cannot be overheard.

Take responsibility for your own actions. Don't try and blame others for your failings.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    J9L wrote: »

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can hold this manager to account when it is you who has your answer machine switched on loud enough for your client to hear.

Perhaps you can turn it down when you have a client with you in future.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In defence of the OP, the person who called should not be disclosing personal information on an answering machine as they do not know who they are disclosing to. They may have dialled an incorrect number or dialled the phone number of a communal telephone.

Under section 13 of the DPA, victims can sue for compensation if they suffer damage and distress. They can also take legal action to prevent further processing of their data.

Unless you can afford a lawyer you will probably find it unlikely that you will get any compensation. You could, however, write a letter requesting/demanding compensation with a threat of further action. This bluff may or may not work but the choice is yours.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    In defence of the OP, the person who called should not be disclosing personal information on an answering machine as they do not know who they are disclosing to. They may have dialled an incorrect number or dialled the phone number of a communal telephone.

That's just what I was thinking. It may well be bad practice to have an answer phone set up as the OP has, but the bank should not leave such personal messages on that medium. I'd be hacked off if my bank did it on my phone as I'm not the only person with access to it.
    Debbie
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not sure if your complaint was just with the bank itself but you can also make complaints about DPA breaches to the Information Commissioner's Office if you are unhappy with the response.

As they have already admitted it, this may not be required but this may be useful to others reading this thread.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/data_protection.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport