PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chancel Repair Liability

Options
My solicitor has passed me the searches etc for my house purchase. In amongst all the documents is a report from a company called ChancelCheck which states the property I am buying could have Chancel Repair Liability. Coincidently (or not) the same company can offer insurance against such liability.

I've done a bit if research into what Chancel Repair Liability is and it appears the church are entitled to extract money from people who own property within their parish boundary. This sounds pretty off to me especially as I am not religious and I have strong views against large religious organisations like the church.

My question is - What are the chances of the church trying to get money from me for repairs to their Chancel (whatever that is). Is this something I really need to insure against or is it a scam?

Comments

• Hippychick
    Options
    The House of Lords once ruled against a couple whose house had chancel repair liability, they had to pay nearly 100k to the church I think the case was Aston Cantlow PCC v Wallbank. I would assume the chances of this actually happening to you is very slim but wouldn't you rather the piece of mind?

Ask the sellers to pay for the insurance it should be about £113.00 (one off cost) and will cover you and your successors in title for 25 years, after all it's their house which is liable at the moment and it is virtually unsaleable without the policy. If you are buying with a mortgage it is very likely that your lender will insist on the policy.

insist that the seller pays for the policy then you can proceed without any worries.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Hippychick wrote:
    The House of Lords once ruled against a couple whose house had chancel repair liability, they had to pay nearly 100k to the church I think the case was Aston Cantlow PCC v Wallbank. I would assume the chances of this actually happening to you is very slim but wouldn't you rather the piece of mind?

Ask the sellers to pay for the insurance it should be about £113.00 (one off cost) and will cover you and your successors in title for 25 years, after all it's their house which is liable at the moment and it is virtually unsaleable without the policy. If you are buying with a mortgage it is very likely that your lender will insist on the policy.

insist that the seller pays for the policy then you can proceed without any worries.

So are these insurance policies transferable. It might be that the current owner already has a policy, is it worth asking them if they could transfer it?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are transferable. If you ask them to provide one for you, they'll either pull out their own policy or cough up for a new one. :)

No need to draw things out by asking if they have one; These things take long enough as it is!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hippychick wrote:

Virtually unsaleable? My god, if people really believe that then Chancelcheck are going to be laughing their blimming socks off.

But my view:

a) not all lenders require it at all, check first
    b) why should a seller indeminfy a house they are selling? I still never understand this point, if you want to cover your !!!!, cover your own !!!! more for piece of mind that you have the correct cover.
    c) if it's such a big risk with potential outlays of £100k as per the above case, how come Chancelcheck only charge £4.52 per year for cover that potentially could cost 'thousands' per policy holder, they must be very confident they aren't paying out on (m)any policies
    d) if you read the original post it doesn't say they have liability, it sayd 'might' which is another part of the con, a lot of properties could well end up not under liability regardless
    e) with falling church attendances I'd be interested to see the Church of England bang the nail in it's own coffin by !!!!!! on the very people it needs to keep it going
  • Frogmena
    Options
    We are purchasing a house and have decided not to go for the insurance for the reasons above really, although a small part of me is bricking it. Apparently loads and loads of people will be affected and don't even know it. I am fed up with all these insurance policies that solicitors etc claim you need. We have had to fork out for couple to ensure the sale of property goes through. Money for old rope if you ask me. Do you think solicitor's get commission based on them?
  • Woby_Tide
    Options
    solicitors don't get commission, or if they are then get new ones as they evidently aren't working in your best interests.

Our solicitor was quite adamant about indemnities, he was quite happy to issue them but was honest to say that in all his 30 years he only ever once actually advised someone to get one, the rest of the time he gave people the option but advised that he didn't believe they would ever need it.

Plus bear in mind that having repair liability attached to a property is actually no guarantee that it will ever be invoked
  • thescouselander
    Options
    The area I'm moving into is fairly densly populated area. Would it be correct to assume that any liability would be split between all properties in the area? If that is the case, I cant see any liability being that expensive anyway.
  • Woby_Tide
    Options
    it would be incorrect to assume that as the charge could be placed on a single property technically, but it's whether it's a risk you're prepared to take

(I'd also be surprised if the Churches do press ahead with it why they wouldn't get as many people liable as they can whilst they have the chance, putting their eggs in one basket would be daft on their behalf)

That said if you are buying a property with 'Glebe' in the name then be more cautious and make more enquiries
  • rachaelc_2
    Options
    My partner and i are in the exat same position as OP. Our solicitor asked the vendors to pay for the insurance, which covers you for 25 years, which the vendors quite happily paid.
    MSE has changed me for the better!!
    DD1 arrived 15/5/11, ]
    :money:
  • Victoria_Falls
    Options
    "ChancelCheck" (brand name) is only a check that tells you whether your property is within one of the 5,200 parishes where there continues to be a potential for chancel repair liability. In order to clarify if your property (plot) falls within the index records, it is strongly advised that you carry out a Chancel Repair Search. Most solicitors will carry out a parish liability search and either take out insurance or carry out the chancel repair search. The decision is down to the purchaser really. If the property is highlighted in the Chancel Repair Search the cost of a potential claim can be worked out in todays money. I have heard that if you you decide to go down the route of a Chancel Repair Search and your property is indeed affected you can not go down the insurance route as you have highlighted the risk. Better off doing the parish liability search, then make the decision of insurance for the perceived risk or to know for sure and have the chancel repair search:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure