PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to Get Through The Tough Times The Old Style Way.

Options
jackieglasgow
jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
edited 19 February 2011 at 9:35AM in Old style MoneySaving
Well as MSE have said the Tough Threads could restart, I thought I would grasp the mettle and get going, as I too have missed the thread here on OS. So, lets talk about how we are coping, emotionally, financially and practically and about how we get through these tough financial times, with increased inflation, fuel prices, food prices and redundancy and Zero contract hours!

Links to the previous thread below, please let me know if I've missed one :)

If things get tougher?
Its Tough NOW so how are we coping
Its STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping now?
Its still tough....and guess what its freezing brrrrr
It May Be Tough for six years. The survival thread.
Times are so tough - the Old Stylers have gone down the pub!

MSE Andrea's comments on the Tough threads
mardatha wrote: »
It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi

Comments

• kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks jackie and Mse andrea too :)
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Hooray! Thank you Jackie for starting this. :T

It was nice to meet new folks in the Arms but as in real life I wasn't able for the more frenzied pace of it.

Happy to be "home". :)
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt like it down there. (sobbing pitifully) - I think we really really need this thread because I think things are set to get a whole lot worse. Time to move up a gear ladies !
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay then, do I carry on from here. :)

I've got an interview on Monday at (I know I can mention company names but I don't want to jinks anything) Sounds abit like Green Fingers but a different digit, they look after your lawns ;)

Its office based not a franchise. It really will be brilliant as its office based gardening, and as far as I'm concerned these only one job better than that, and that would be full time gardening. Which isn't going to happen any time soon without qualifications.

We are lucky enough to have a Botanical Gardens here, they only employ 3 full time gardeners. The rest are volenteers.

I've been redundant since last September, February seemed an awful way off then :(
  • kidcat
    Options
    Have done my calculations and I will need to trim £300 per month from our spending in order to buy a house but if we take on another rental we would only need to trim £275!!!! So break out those stretchy recipes - I is gonna need them!!
  • jackieglasgow
    Options
    I was concentrating so hard on doing those links I never noticed if anyone had posted :rotfl: Hope no one minds me starting the thread, but its nicer to see it at "home". :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Hurray we are back home! re tough times,they are indeed tough, I think growing our own, make do and mend and re-cycling will be the order of the day for some time to come.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, well done, Jackie, and thanks MSE Andrea. I thought the Arms thread was a bit scary tbh *blushes* - too much hey what and not enough support...

Good luck with your interview, linda32, hope it goes really well.

I'm looking forward to the level of support which was what was the great thing about the OS versions of these threads - made it feel like it was a real community, which is what we all need in these tough times, no?!
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    I'll join in after a long long break from these boards. Just become a single mum of a feisty toddler, and have got to work out how to manage household with £750 less per month :( Got £5 to last til the end of the month and no fuel in the car.

Job security also looking very shaky as they are selling off part of our role to the private sector, so a very real possibility of losing job too.

Emotionally and financially stretched to breaking point :(
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • kidcat
    Options
    Hugs luis - have you tried the milk and more voucher - £10 off if you are a new customer - not just for milk? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure