Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MrHippo
    Boiler repair (diverter valve & leaking autovent)
    • 28th Jan 11, 5:35 PM
    Boiler repair (diverter valve & leaking autovent) 28th Jan 11 at 5:35 PM
    Can anyone tell me if they think this quote is fair and also advise what to do about the lack of contact from the quoter?

The boiler is a Sime Super 105 Mk II, installed in 1999. We've been having problems getting hot water for a while, turning the taps on fails to start up the boiler and we only get hot water when the CH is on and then not much.

We had a guy round (on Sat 22nd) who says the autovent is leaking and diverter valve needs replacing. He has quoted 400 for parts and labour. Firstly, does that sound about right?

He wasn't keen on the repair and recommended a new boiler which he'd supply and install for 1800. We had to check with our landlady but provisionally booked for him to come back next week, he asked for a reply on repair or replace by Mon 23rd. The landlady is insisting on the repair and I let him know this on Monday as agreed, he wasn't too happy but agreed to check whether the parts were available and get back to us to confirm he could come back next week. Didn't hear anything so phoned again on Weds, he still didn't know and made lots of noise about the boiler being very old and probably would need more work than just what he'd found so far, and a replacement would be better, etc, etc. Anyway he promised to call back by the end of the day but still haven't heard anything. Tried again today but had to leave a message on his voicemail.

Any suggestions for how to deal with this? He's claiming the parts could take weeks if he has to order them in! I know it's the landlady's responsibility and I've reported all the above to her but she's not around much and prefers us to deal with these things and pass the bill on.

Would appreciate any tips on whether this sounds like we're being fobbed off and what we might do. Many thanks.
    Last edited by MrHippo; 28-01-2011 at 5:36 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,545Posts Today

6,840Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin