Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • squack
    • 9th Jan 11, 9:36 AM
    • 9th Jan 11, 9:36 AM
    sounds excessive... we pay £25 per year
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!!
  • tsstss7
    • 9th Jan 11, 10:24 AM
    • 9th Jan 11, 10:24 AM
    I currently pay 35 for half an allotment and a rubbish shed. they are also talking about quadrupling our fees while also selling off allotment land and saying they are subsiding us !!! (they can't use sale funds for this apparantly) pretty angry about it actually.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    First DD
    First DD born in june.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 11, 11:44 AM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 56,803 Thanks
    kittie
    • 9th Jan 11, 11:44 AM
    • 9th Jan 11, 11:44 AM
    35 for 10 x 150 feet plot. Private and part of a field. Water supplied and that is all. Gorgeous quiet site with stunning views so very worth it for the recreation value
    Last edited by kittie; 13-01-2011 at 3:41 PM.
  • jellymid
    • 9th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    £11 for 5m x 25m, including water, last year. I haven't heard yet this year, though.
    • 1jim
    • By 1jim 9th Jan 11, 2:43 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    1jim
    • 9th Jan 11, 2:43 PM
    • 9th Jan 11, 2:43 PM
    I guess it depends what you paid last year, if it was £1 and now will be £4 then Id be happy, If you paid £50 and now woul be £200 Id be miffed. We paid £60ish last year in South Notts
  • ermitsme
    • 9th Jan 11, 3:12 PM
    • 9th Jan 11, 3:12 PM
    North East Lincs.
    Carr Lane.
    Grimsby.
    Size 0.250 Rood.
    Water £15:40p.
    Rent £43:93p
    This includes a 50 % reduction for being over 60.
  • cootambear
    • 9th Jan 11, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 11, 4:42 PM
    someones got to subsidise the banks
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 9th Jan 11, 7:39 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 8,989 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 9th Jan 11, 7:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 11, 7:39 PM
    Hi,

We're in Leicester and rent of the local parish council (if that makes any difference)

I'm sure we have a full plot, for which we pay £17.50 a year. Its gone up from £14.50 over the last 5 years. So not a great lot by any means.

We pay for water, which could never be covered by the amount collected from all the plots as its a small size, so must be covered by the council as well.
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 9th Jan 11, 11:00 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    I have a 9 rod plot and pay £35 per year which includes £22.50 water rates and a full and associate membership to the allotment society. I am in East Sussex.
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • Poosmate
    I'm sure there was a thread on this last year. I'll try to dig it out.

Excuse the pun, wasn't intentional!

Poo

ETA:

Aahh, here it is (from October last year):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2767078&highlight=allotment+price +hike&page=2
    Last edited by Poosmate; 09-01-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • Tr1pp
    I pay £40 a year for a 250sqft (think is sqft, maybe sq meters?)

anyway, council will be bumping the price up by an extra £5, I live in kent

unless you pay peanuts then quadrupling sounds a bit excessive to me
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Jan 11, 8:33 AM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 56,803 Thanks
    kittie
    but why should joe public be subsidising allotment holders?
    Last edited by kittie; 10-01-2011 at 1:54 PM.
  • parkey
    Years ago allotments were unfashionable and councils were just glad to get them rented out even if the rent was peanuts.

Now there are huge waiting list, simple economics of supply and demand means that councils are now in a poistion of being able to increase rent charges.

This asside if you do a quick rental increase based on the retail price index from the year the rent you are on was introduced I think that you will find that the increase councils are proposing is actually quiet realistic.

For allotments with water, security fences, car parking areas and grass area which the council mows, plus having a memeber of staff dealing with allotment holders enquiries. I know from experience that not many councils actually cover the cost of their allotments from the allotment fee alone.

Worked out on a weekly basis the rent is pences. Think of how much pleaseure you get from your allotment - I think it is worth a lot more and rental increases are completely justified and need to be brought in line with other services provided by councils.
  • littlechezza
    We pay around £30 a year but as the allotment is part of a local nature park this is a family pass for there so I guess the allotment is free.
    It is a starters plot and there are several around us but this has been perfect for us, I think so many people like the idea of the allotment and then take on too big an area and it is too much for them.
    We will have the chance to have a bigger plot eventually but we are quite taken with our little patch of land so may just keep that.
    Not sure if the price will go up this year but we haven't had any notification as of yet.
  • jellymid
    Have just had notification through, and our fees will stay at £11 this year.

If this had been quadrupled to £44 it would still be in line with many other posts here, however, I would expect a bit more from the parish council for my money, eg some waste disposal facility, better maintenance of pathways etc

The conditions have changed a bit though and we will have to get rid of the old carpet that we have around our shed, waterbutts and compost bins though...only commercial weed supressent allowed hence forth. It will be hard work but probably needed attention this year anyway
  • GreenFly
    £25 in south wales
  • valk_scot
    £11 for a full plot (?) is ridiculously low. My rent is £20 for a full plot (80' x 40') and that's still silly, given that a full plot one mile away in the next council area costs £60. We were talking about rent rises in the committee last month as we suspect our council will up the rent next lease renewal (we're a self managed site, leased from the council) and we were thinking about what would be reasonable and what might need disputed. Our rental hasn't actually gone up in the last 10 years! We eventually decided that anything up to a £50 per plot would be considered acceptable, given that this worked out as £1 per week rental, and that we would phase it in over two rent years if necessary.(We'd get a year's notice of any increase.)

After all, £1 a week is sod all, considering. We don't get any works or support done by our council btw, unless we can sweet talk it out of the Parks Department and they have some community service folk needing something to do. We're self managed otherwise and do our own maintenence. We're regarded as a model allotment in our area, btw.
    Val.
  • janeawej
    Hi, I run a private allotment site on my smallholding in Cornwall, I charge £100 a year for a full plot 30x90 feet most other private sites charge the same around here
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!
  • Little Miss Determined
    I never realised how cheap they were! People pay over £30 a month to go to the gym. An allotment will get you just as healthy and you end up with delicious veg.
    December low - £3012 January low - £2589
    February low -£2434
    Loan -£1075
    In 2011, I aim to grow £120 pounds worth of produce. (£0 so far)
    I'm also aiming to cook 100 new things before I buy a new cookbook. (82/100)
    Declutter 189/199
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

3,581Users online

Martin's Twitter