We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

allotment rent increase 2011

hi fellow allotmenteers. nottingham city council has just informed us to expect a rent increase in 2012 that will quadruple our current rental. this seems excessive to me, but i have no idea what the average rent is across the uk. what are your allotment rents?

Comments

• squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    sounds excessive... we pay £25 per year
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • tsstss7
    tsstss7 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I currently pay 35 for half an allotment and a rubbish shed. they are also talking about quadrupling our fees while also selling off allotment land and saying they are subsiding us !!! (they can't use sale funds for this apparantly) pretty angry about it actually.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    :j
    First DD
    First DD born in june:beer:.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January 2011 at 4:41PM
    35 for 10 x 150 feet plot. Private and part of a field. Water supplied and that is all. Gorgeous quiet site with stunning views so very worth it for the recreation value
  • jellymid
    jellymid Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £11 for 5m x 25m, including water, last year. I haven't heard yet this year, though.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I guess it depends what you paid last year, if it was £1 and now will be £4 then Id be happy, If you paid £50 and now woul be £200 Id be miffed. We paid £60ish last year in South Notts
  • ermitsme
    ermitsme Posts: 14 Forumite
    North East Lincs.
    Carr Lane.
    Grimsby.
    Size 0.250 Rood.
    Water £15:40p.
    Rent £43:93p
    This includes a 50 % reduction for being over 60.
    :)
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    someones got to subsidise the banks :(
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

We're in Leicester and rent of the local parish council (if that makes any difference)

I'm sure we have a full plot, for which we pay £17.50 a year. Its gone up from £14.50 over the last 5 years. So not a great lot by any means.

We pay for water, which could never be covered by the amount collected from all the plots as its a small size, so must be covered by the council as well.
  • I have a 9 rod plot and pay £35 per year which includes £22.50 water rates and a full and associate membership to the allotment society. I am in East Sussex.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2011 at 12:53AM
    I'm sure there was a thread on this last year. I'll try to dig it out.

Excuse the pun, wasn't intentional!

Poo

ETA:

Aahh, here it is (from October last year):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2767078&highlight=allotment+price+hike&page=2
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure