Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hermit
    • By Hermit 1st Nov 06, 1:54 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Hermit
    Charging BT for services sited on your property
    • 1st Nov 06, 1:54 PM
    Charging BT for services sited on your property 1st Nov 06 at 1:54 PM
    Quite recently, our neighbour's landline telephone service was disrupted and a BT telephone engineer came out to fix the problem. The problem was traced back to a telephone pole siting on our property which delivered BT landline services to three housholds.

The engineer bacame quite rude when he found that the pole was also being used as a connection point to deliver electricity to one of our outbuildings - he mentioned that he intended to report us for illegal us of the pole.

Consequently, we intend charging BT for the use of our land to deliver their service. Does anyone have any experience in this matter?

A few years ago I read an artical in a journal/magazine (the name of which I can't remember) where someone was setting up a business to assist consumers like myself with charging utilities/energy/telecom organisations for services delivered across residential properties. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Are there any websites with guideance?

Please help.

Regards,

Hermit
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 1st Nov 06, 3:30 PM
    • 17,242 Posts
    • 21,859 Thanks
    redux
    • 1st Nov 06, 3:30 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 3:30 PM
    Perhaps you should study the wayleave agreement
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    Consequently, we intend charging BT for the use of our land to deliver their service. Does anyone have any experience in this matter?
    by Hermit
    You will probably find your land deeds give BT permission to site its telegraph pole there - especially if was there befre you purchased the property.

Otherwise, you may be entitled to what is called a 'wayleave' payment.

You can always ask BT:

BT Wayleaves Scanning Office
    Communications House
    Harlescott Lane
    Shrewsbury
    SY1 3AQ
    phone telephone: 0800 581525

asking if there is a wayleave agreement in existence.

Also googling 'BT wayleave' may bring up some organisations who may claim to be able to help you.

However, you really shoudn't connect anything to the BT pole, whether you are getting paid or not - BT tend to take a dim view of their staff being electrocuted/killed when they climb telegraph poles..

Regards
    Sunil
  • drek
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:54 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:54 PM
    However, you really shoudn't connect anything to the BT pole, whether you are getting paid or not - BT tend to take a dim view of their staff being electrocuted/killed when they climb telegraph poles..
    by gt94sss2
    now that sounds like gr8 way to deal with rude BT C.Services staff...............
  • normanmark
    • 1st Nov 06, 9:57 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 9:57 PM
    now that sounds like gr8 way to deal with rude BT C.Services staff...............
    by drek
    you idiot.
    • david29dpo
    • By david29dpo 2nd Nov 06, 6:31 AM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    david29dpo
    • 2nd Nov 06, 6:31 AM
    • 2nd Nov 06, 6:31 AM
    we have a BT pole inside our boundary but bt put a wayleave on it years ago so no dose for me!
  • helen benney
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:11 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:11 AM
    can anyone tell me what a wayleave agreement is,i have a telegraph pole in my garden too
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 6th Feb 08, 11:27 AM
    • 11,035 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 6th Feb 08, 11:27 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 11:27 AM
    can anyone tell me what a wayleave agreement is,i have a telegraph pole in my garden too
    Originally posted by helen benney
    Welcome to the MSE forums Helen.

I think just entering the word wayleave into Google will give you all the information you require.

Try the following link for starters: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/networkinfo/developnetwork/wayleave.do
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • stephi283
    • 2nd Aug 08, 9:52 PM
    wayleave on bt pole
    • 2nd Aug 08, 9:52 PM
    we have just had a man from a company called Utility Surveys Co. come to our door oet of the blue and offer to act for us in obtaining a wayleave from bt if sucessful he would expect £50 +vat from the lump sum of £145. Does that seem fair, I wasn't sure if it was a scam and I guess we'd never have known if he hadn't told us. But surely we could just go direct to openreach (bt) ourselves!:confused:

any thoughts cheers Stephi
  • normanmark
    we have just had a man from a company called Utility Surveys Co. come to our door oet of the blue and offer to act for us in obtaining a wayleave from bt if sucessful he would expect £50 +vat from the lump sum of £145. Does that seem fair, I wasn't sure if it was a scam and I guess we'd never have known if he hadn't told us. But surely we could just go direct to openreach (bt) ourselves!:confused:

Originally posted by stephi283
    You're right Stephi, don't bother with the man. Its a simple enough process to deal with Openreach to get wayleave issues sorted. You don't need no middle man
  • Incisor

Originally posted by stephi283
    Of course you can go there yourself. I would advise it rather than use one of these opportunists. You only need to recover less than £58,75 to be out of pocket
  • davy_fulla
    You're right Stephi, don't bother with the man. Its a simple enough process to deal with Openreach to get wayleave issues sorted. You don't need no middle man
    Originally posted by normanmark

Abslutely correct, don't bother with these shysters. If you call our wayleave dept on 0800 581525 they'll be able to help you out.
  • davy_fulla
    Quite recently, our neighbour's landline telephone service was disrupted and a BT telephone engineer came out to fix the problem. The problem was traced back to a telephone pole siting on our property which delivered BT landline services to three housholds.

The engineer bacame quite rude when he found that the pole was also being used as a connection point to deliver electricity to one of our outbuildings - he mentioned that he intended to report us for illegal us of the pole.

A few years ago I read an artical in a journal/magazine (the name of which I can't remember) where someone was setting up a business to assist consumers like myself with charging utilities/energy/telecom organisations for services delivered across residential properties. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Are there any websites with guideance?

Please help.

Regards,

Hermit
    Originally posted by Hermit

If you call the wayleaves dept on the above no they'll be able to see whether an agreement exists. If not, they can offer you a payment but they will not backdate it. It'll be a one off sum of approx. £150. DO NOT use these survey companies - there's no need as they will actually take a cut of your money. The engineer was dead right though about the leccy connection. Any illicit attachments to poles are classed as a safety hazard and we do actually charge the likes of estate agents to for removing their signs etc. Might sound a bit harsh but there has ben a surprising number of accidents on poles such as this.
  • ORE
    im sure you would have complained about us not getting your phone back in service because we couldnt climb the pole because of this electricity cable.
  • Tribulation
    On a similar line, while it hasn't become a problem yet, the way my phone cable enters my property is as follows.

I live in a mid terraced house. All the other houses apart from me and the one on the end (my neighbour) are served by a different pole, each house connected directly to the pole.

The house on the end is served directly from the pole that serves me.

My house's cable goes from the pole to the end houses side fascia board. It's then tacked round their fascia board, along the side, then along the front until it gets to my property where it them runs down my wall and enters my house.

As I've said, we've had no problems so far.

However, they're new neighbours who have gutted the house and the fascia board is in quite bad condition and I can see them getting it replaced soon, probably with UPVC.

I presume if they do this, any cost involved of re-routing the BT cable will be met by BT and not me?

many thanks
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • davy_fulla
    On a similar line, while it hasn't become a problem yet, the way my phone cable enters my property is as follows.

I live in a mid terraced house. All the other houses apart from me and the one on the end (my neighbour) are served by a different pole, each house connected directly to the pole.

The house on the end is served directly from the pole that serves me.

My house's cable goes from the pole to the end houses side fascia board. It's then tacked round their fascia board, along the side, then along the front until it gets to my property where it them runs down my wall and enters my house.

As I've said, we've had no problems so far.

However, they're new neighbours who have gutted the house and the fascia board is in quite bad condition and I can see them getting it replaced soon, probably with UPVC.

I presume if they do this, any cost involved of re-routing the BT cable will be met by BT and not me?

many thanks
    Originally posted by Tribulation
    There'll be no cost to yourself for moving the wire. Your new neighbours should ring our network rearrangement team on 0800 0121817 asking for the wire to be moved and any charges, if applicable, will be payable by them.
  • niccy
    BT recently started using my car hire business until they sent me THEIR terms of payment 42 days !
    They got politely told to leg it
    living on the "edge"
    • sweet charriot
    • By sweet charriot 12th Aug 08, 12:46 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sweet charriot
    With bost my last houses I had Utility Poles on the land first one paid me £16 per year and now with the case of the Electric pole £18 so do not consider paying anyone 3 years income.
  • benjammin365
    There'll be no cost to yourself for moving the wire. Your new neighbours should ring our network rearrangement team on 0800 0121817 asking for the wire to be moved and any charges, if applicable, will be payable by them.
    Originally posted by davy_fulla
    I have a similar problem. I have a basement which has a BT cable running through it. This cable not only appears to supply the upstairs flats, but also several flats/houses on either side in the same terrace (it comes in one side of the wall and out the other). The cable is rather badly laid (it's about head hight) and the connections upstairs are (in my opinion) a mess.

I am in the process of converting the basement and so need the cable removed. An engineer from BT OpenReach came to see it and said I would have to pay to have the cable removed, they wouldn't do it for free, even though there is no Wayleave agreement in place. With my experience of dealing with other utility monopolies such as EDF - it aint gonna be cheap.

Naturally I'm a bit peeved. This cable potentially supplies 10+ households, is causing an obstriction on my property, and yet I have to pay to get it moved? BT Openreach say this is my "right", but it doesn't sound like much of one to me.

I have complained to Offcom but does anyone have any advice?
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 16th Apr 09, 4:59 PM
    • 11,035 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    I am in the process of converting the basement and so need the cable removed. An engineer from BT OpenReach came to see it and said I would have to pay to have the cable removed, they wouldn't do it for free, even though there is no Wayleave agreement in place. With my experience of dealing with other utility monopolies such as EDF - it aint gonna be cheap.
    Originally posted by benjammin365
    My son (an electrician, not an Openreach engineer) would do that sort of job, cash in hand, on a Saturday or Sunday.

Know any electricians?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,951Posts Today

4,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin