Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 25th Nov 10, 1:28 PM
    • 470Posts
    • 48Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    will an O2 phone accept a tesco sim card
    • 25th Nov 10, 1:28 PM
    will an O2 phone accept a tesco sim card 25th Nov 10 at 1:28 PM
    hi i have an o2 phone, will it accept an tesco sim card as im thinking about getting the £10 sim deal on a monthly contract.

i did search this but i found old info and i just wanted to do a get the latest info before taking the plunge .
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 25th Nov 10, 5:37 PM
    • 15,570 Posts
    • 18,365 Thanks
    redux
    • 25th Nov 10, 5:37 PM
    • 25th Nov 10, 5:37 PM
    Yes, it will work fine, even if the phone happens to be locked to O2

so would other virtual brands on O2, such as giffgaff
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 25th Nov 10, 6:51 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 25th Nov 10, 6:51 PM
    • 25th Nov 10, 6:51 PM
    O2 phones are generally unlocked and usually accept any sim unless its the iphone.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 25th Nov 10, 6:52 PM
    • 22,120 Posts
    • 55,102 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 25th Nov 10, 6:52 PM
    • 25th Nov 10, 6:52 PM
    Do Tesco piggyback on O2 then? I genuinely didn't know - who else is "virtual O2" please?

Does that mean I can buy a Tesco phone and put an O2 payg SIM in it?
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • pink-lady
    • By pink-lady 25th Nov 10, 7:03 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    pink-lady
    • 25th Nov 10, 7:03 PM
    • 25th Nov 10, 7:03 PM
    I've just got the £10 deal with Tesco as my contract with orange has just finished.
    I've been looking round for a new phone because I presume my new Tesco sim wont work in my orange phone. I can't find a reasonably priced phone that I like on the Tesco website, so reading the above, does it mean that I could get an O2 phone??

Thanks for any help xx
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 25th Nov 10, 7:09 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    • 25th Nov 10, 7:09 PM
    Do Tesco piggyback on O2 then? I genuinely didn't know - who else is "virtual O2" please?

Does that mean I can buy a Tesco phone and put an O2 payg SIM in it?
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    yes they do but o2 sims dont work in a tesco phone unless you get it unlocked.

I've just got the £10 deal with Tesco as my contract with orange has just finished.
    I've been looking round for a new phone because I presume my new Tesco sim wont work in my orange phone. I can't find a reasonably priced phone that I like on the Tesco website, so reading the above, does it mean that I could get an O2 phone??

Thanks for any help xx
    Originally posted by pink-lady
    yes you could get an o2 phone or get any phone you like and get it unlocked for £5

Yes, it will work fine, even if the phone happens to be locked to O2

so would other virtual brands on O2, such as giffgaff
    Originally posted by redux
    thanks redux thats great to hear thanks for your help
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 25th Nov 10, 7:09 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    O2 phones are generally unlocked and usually accept any sim unless its the iphone.
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    first i have heard that, i have had many o2 phones and they were always locked.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 25th Nov 10, 7:17 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 25th Nov 10, 7:17 PM
    • 25th Nov 10, 7:17 PM
    first i have heard that, i have had many o2 phones and they were always locked.
    Originally posted by mystic_bertie
    Sorry i mean any phone taken via a contract as all the ones i have had for the past few years have all been unlocked.PAYG maybe locked though.
  • natnhay
    • 26th Nov 10, 1:34 PM
    • 26th Nov 10, 1:34 PM
    Hi my daughter has an orange sim only contract simcard will this work in a o2 blackberry phone without having it unlocked.(purchased o2 blackberry because she wanted the purle colour) I dont really want to get it unlocked as surely it voids the warranty.
    The blackberry is payg.
    Last edited by natnhay; 26-11-2010 at 1:36 PM. Reason: more info
  • watcherman
    The blackberry is payg.
    Originally posted by natnhay
    If it came from Carphone Warehouse it will more than likely be unlocked, if not, it will be locked.....Only about a tenner to unlock though, and can be done via a code online.
  • natnhay
    unlock bb
    If it came from Carphone Warehouse it will more than likely be unlocked, if not, it will be locked.....Only about a tenner to unlock though, and can be done via a code online.
    Originally posted by watcherman
    how do i get it unlocked on line and is it simple to do. I didnt purchase it from carphone warehouse.Many thanks.
  • watcherman
    how do i get it unlocked on line and is it simple to do. I didnt purchase it from carphone warehouse.Many thanks.
    Originally posted by natnhay
    I have used cellunlock.net on a few phones, and always found them first class....They also seem popular on Crackberry, which gave me some comfort when I first used them.

If you go through to checkout, there is an option for discount code, enter CRACKB50 (crackberry 50% discount code) and the price will half....Might not be the cheapest, but there's so many scam sites I'd rather pay a bit more IMO.
    • stolt
    • By stolt 16th Jan 11, 10:30 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    stolt
    can someone clarify please, ive just got the mother-in-law a tesco monthly sim and online 02 have the phone i want to get her. Will a tesco sim work in a 02 PAYG phone?
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

7,404Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin