Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Huomenna
    Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?
    • 23rd Nov 10, 9:32 AM
    Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples? 23rd Nov 10 at 9:32 AM
    My boyfriend and I rent our 3 bedroom house off my mum who currently lives in Australia. She knows that even though she's only charging us cost price (mortgage and bills) to live here, we still can't afford it without a lodger, so we rent out the spare double bedroom.
    We recently (last monday) had a new lodger move in, but yesterday he told me he's already going to be moving out in a week, because he's been offered a job in London that comes with accomodation.
    The room has now been readvertised and has had interest from a couple (it's a double room but we've only had individuals living in it before). We are happy for a couple to move in and they are willing to pay extra for the room, however we don't know how much extra to charge. I tried looking for other rooms in the area advertising rooms for couples to see the difference in rent costs, but couldn't find any so I have no idea what is reasonable. £50, £75 per month? I really don't know.
    To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at £350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
    Can anyone give any suggestions?
    Thank you.
Page 1
  • poppysarah
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:00 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:00 AM
    Are you happy about renting to a couple?
  • Huomenna
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:15 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:15 AM
    Are you happy about renting to a couple?
    Originally posted by poppysarah
    One person would be preferable, but we aren't against a couple and in all honesty we can't afford to be picky - as long as they're nice and pay rent on time, that's good enough.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:23 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:23 AM
    If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
    • roses
    • By roses 23rd Nov 10, 10:49 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    roses
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:49 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:49 AM
    Split the bills 4 ways & charge 25% more rent. There are now 4 people using the bathroom, kitchen, living room etc instead of 3.
  • tbs624
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:54 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 10:54 AM
    If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it,..
    Originally posted by BitterAndTwisted
    Could you expand on your reasons? It can be especially diffciult to have a couple as lodgers if there is only a single "LL" but the OP has said her boyfriend lives there too.
  • 00ec25
    • 23rd Nov 10, 11:49 AM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 11:49 AM
    To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at £350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
    Originally posted by Huomenna
    I assume you know that if you charge more than £354 pcm (£4,250pa) you will be above the rent a room scheme threshold and will therefore have to pay tax on any money you get in excess of that.

you should factor that into your price increase as well as the fact they are a copule , I would not want to risk tax evasion...
  • Huomenna
    • 23rd Nov 10, 3:19 PM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 3:19 PM
    Thank you for all the responses - lots of things to consider.

00ec25 - Yes I am aware of that - tax is already paid on the property as my boyfriend and I also pay a portion of rent each month which makes the total 'income' from the house well over £350pm
    • missile
    • By missile 23rd Nov 10, 4:16 PM
    • 8,148 Posts
    • 3,876 Thanks
    missile
    • 23rd Nov 10, 4:16 PM
    • 23rd Nov 10, 4:16 PM
    If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
    Originally posted by BitterAndTwisted
    I would second that opinion. If you want more income, let out both bedrooms to singles only.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
  • travelodger
    I have let rooms in my house for 12 years.

The problem with couples is the noise -- no not from sex lol, from chatting loudly late and night and in the mornings while getting reading for work, and if they are the fiery kind, the LOUD ARGUMENTS.

I would NEVER let to a couple again.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 14th Dec 10, 5:38 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    What about a 'same-sex' couple???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • travelodger
    What about a 'same-sex' couple???
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    What's that got to do with anything?

I bet they have as many loud arguments as straight people!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Dec 10, 7:06 PM
    • 35,993 Posts
    • 39,348 Thanks
    G_M
    A bit off-subject but picking up the tax issue; you realise there are TWO tax issues?
    1) You mum gets rent from you so SHE has a tax liability. However, as a non-resident (ie overseas) landlady, with (I assume) no UK agent, the tenant (you) can be made liable for HER tax. See here.

2) You receive rent from your lodger(s). This is YOUR income, so may be liable for tax. The rent-a-room scheme (see here) allows you to receive £4,250 before you have to pay tax, though this may depend on things like whether you include meals, and whether both you and your boyfriend are receiving rent.
    • vincent.waldorf
    • By vincent.waldorf 9th Sep 12, 9:58 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    vincent.waldorf
    Hey guys,

I didnt want to make a new thread so revived an old one.

I was thinking about renting my spare room (when i get the house) to a couple, and the main thing that worried me is that when they have sex it will be awkard for me as i will be next door!! I don't mind the noise etc.

I think that it will be very quiet with just one person though...

any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
  • DVardysShadow
    .... any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
    Originally posted by vincent.waldorf
    It'll be hard enough to make them have sex while you are there and you will be powerless to force them when you are not there.

Don't worry about it, the thrust of the advice on couples is that when they want sex, they will lift you up bodily and put you outside the front door, dropping the latch and only letting you back in if the sex was not good enough for them to forget they had put you out.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Sep 12, 10:49 AM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    societys child
    I agree with DVS, it will be a problem ensuring they have sex when your not there

I'd probably get 'em an egg timer and tell 'em if they wanna do it when your home, they have to beat it to the finish . . .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Sep 12, 10:53 AM
    • 55,252 Posts
    • 316,851 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.
    • vincent.waldorf
    • By vincent.waldorf 10th Sep 12, 9:33 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    vincent.waldorf
    Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    good point haha, i have met quite a few people interested in the rooms and some seem ok!

I guess that the other stuff is good apart from that aspect of it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter