Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,663
# 1
Huomenna
Old 23-11-2010, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?

My boyfriend and I rent our 3 bedroom house off my mum who currently lives in Australia. She knows that even though she's only charging us cost price (mortgage and bills) to live here, we still can't afford it without a lodger, so we rent out the spare double bedroom.
We recently (last monday) had a new lodger move in, but yesterday he told me he's already going to be moving out in a week, because he's been offered a job in London that comes with accomodation.
The room has now been readvertised and has had interest from a couple (it's a double room but we've only had individuals living in it before). We are happy for a couple to move in and they are willing to pay extra for the room, however we don't know how much extra to charge. I tried looking for other rooms in the area advertising rooms for couples to see the difference in rent costs, but couldn't find any so I have no idea what is reasonable. 50, 75 per month? I really don't know.
To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at 350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
Can anyone give any suggestions?
Thank you.
# 2
poppysarah
Old 23-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Are you happy about renting to a couple?
# 3
Huomenna
Old 23-11-2010, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppysarah View Post
Are you happy about renting to a couple?
One person would be preferable, but we aren't against a couple and in all honesty we can't afford to be picky - as long as they're nice and pay rent on time, that's good enough.
# 4
BitterAndTwisted
Old 23-11-2010, 10:23 AM

If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
# 5
roses
Old 23-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Split the bills 4 ways & charge 25% more rent. There are now 4 people using the bathroom, kitchen, living room etc instead of 3.
# 6
tbs624
Old 23-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterAndTwisted View Post
If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it,..
Could you expand on your reasons? It can be especially diffciult to have a couple as lodgers if there is only a single "LL" but the OP has said her boyfriend lives there too.
# 7
00ec25
Old 23-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huomenna View Post
To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at 350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
I assume you know that if you charge more than 354 pcm (4,250pa) you will be above the rent a room scheme threshold and will therefore have to pay tax on any money you get in excess of that.

you should factor that into your price increase as well as the fact they are a copule , I would not want to risk tax evasion...
# 8
Huomenna
Old 23-11-2010, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for all the responses - lots of things to consider.

00ec25 - Yes I am aware of that - tax is already paid on the property as my boyfriend and I also pay a portion of rent each month which makes the total 'income' from the house well over 350pm
# 9
missile
Old 23-11-2010, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterAndTwisted View Post
If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
I would second that opinion. If you want more income, let out both bedrooms to singles only.
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
# 10
travelodger
Old 14-12-2010, 5:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have let rooms in my house for 12 years.

The problem with couples is the noise -- no not from sex lol, from chatting loudly late and night and in the mornings while getting reading for work, and if they are the fiery kind, the LOUD ARGUMENTS.

I would NEVER let to a couple again.
# 11
maninthestreet
Old 14-12-2010, 5:38 PM

What about a 'same-sex' couple???
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
# 12
travelodger
Old 14-12-2010, 5:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthestreet View Post
What about a 'same-sex' couple???
What's that got to do with anything?

I bet they have as many loud arguments as straight people!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travelodger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
G_M
Old 14-12-2010, 7:06 PM

A bit off-subject but picking up the tax issue; you realise there are TWO tax issues?
1) You mum gets rent from you so SHE has a tax liability. However, as a non-resident (ie overseas) landlady, with (I assume) no UK agent, the tenant (you) can be made liable for HER tax. See here.

2) You receive rent from your lodger(s). This is YOUR income, so may be liable for tax. The rent-a-room scheme (see here) allows you to receive 4,250 before you have to pay tax, though this may depend on things like whether you include meals, and whether both you and your boyfriend are receiving rent.
# 14
vincent.waldorf
Old 09-09-2012, 9:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey guys,

I didnt want to make a new thread so revived an old one.

I was thinking about renting my spare room (when i get the house) to a couple, and the main thing that worried me is that when they have sex it will be awkard for me as i will be next door!! I don't mind the noise etc.

I think that it will be very quiet with just one person though...

any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
# 15
DVardysShadow
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.waldorf View Post
.... any thoughts on how i could make sure they they have sex when i am not there (which is rarely) it would be too personal to ask how often they have sex ... :S
It'll be hard enough to make them have sex while you are there and you will be powerless to force them when you are not there.

Don't worry about it, the thrust of the advice on couples is that when they want sex, they will lift you up bodily and put you outside the front door, dropping the latch and only letting you back in if the sex was not good enough for them to forget they had put you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to DVardysShadow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
societys child
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM

I agree with DVS, it will be a problem ensuring they have sex when your not there

I'd probably get 'em an egg timer and tell 'em if they wanna do it when your home, they have to beat it to the finish . . .
# 17
PasturesNew
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.
The Following User Says Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
vincent.waldorf
Old 10-09-2012, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
Single people might be dragging a raft of waifs and strays back to your place for one-off quickies .... every Friday and Saturday night (and sometimes mid-week) .... they might be getting more than a couple would.
good point haha, i have met quite a few people interested in the rooms and some seem ok!

I guess that the other stuff is good apart from that aspect of it!
Closed Thread