Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Huomenna
    Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?
    • 23rd Nov 10, 9:32 AM
    Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples? 23rd Nov 10 at 9:32 AM
    My boyfriend and I rent our 3 bedroom house off my mum who currently lives in Australia. She knows that even though she's only charging us cost price (mortgage and bills) to live here, we still can't afford it without a lodger, so we rent out the spare double bedroom.
    We recently (last monday) had a new lodger move in, but yesterday he told me he's already going to be moving out in a week, because he's been offered a job in London that comes with accomodation.
    The room has now been readvertised and has had interest from a couple (it's a double room but we've only had individuals living in it before). We are happy for a couple to move in and they are willing to pay extra for the room, however we don't know how much extra to charge. I tried looking for other rooms in the area advertising rooms for couples to see the difference in rent costs, but couldn't find any so I have no idea what is reasonable. 50, 75 per month? I really don't know.
    To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at 350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
    Can anyone give any suggestions?
    Thank you.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Craftyblogging: @MartinSLewis £98 back from EasyJet due to price match, thank you!

• RT @sally_mw: @MartinSLewis Just had £3K refund for missold packaged account AND now have a free bank account.Thanks for making peeps aware?

• Does anyone have a savings statement to hand? (either on paper or online). If so can you check, does it include your current interest rate?

• Follow Martin