Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > What Boiler do I have? Pay monthly plans or new b... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What Boiler do I have? Pay monthly plans or new boiler? HELP
Closed Thread
Views: 6,639
# 1
rachelandgromit
Old 07-11-2010, 5:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default What Boiler do I have? Pay monthly plans or new boiler? HELP

Hi, sorry lots of questions. Firstly, I am getting ready to move into my bungalow soon hopefully although I bought it 4 years ago (don't ask)! I know the boiler was the original one in there from when it was built in 1991. It is a Glow-worm boiler and heats the hot water/radiators. In the airing cupboard downstairs I have a hot water tank/immersion heater that works (and I want to keep). Up the loft of the bungalow there is a header tank and another plastic tank. Now I've not had the boiler serviced but over the past 4 years everything has been working fine, heating/hot water. I've noticed that recently the hot water hasn't been getting hot by using the boiler, although it works fine when using the immersion heater so I think there are some problems somewhere. My options were to sign up to one of those plans however I am confused to whether my boiler will be covered as it is so old. Alternatively, do I just get it serviced or go the whole hog and get a new boiler that may be more economical for me and how much would it be for a new boiler/installation. Any help apprechiated.
# 2
ormus
Old 07-11-2010, 6:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

probably just a valve sticking, or needs changing.
maybe like this one. very common.
Get some gorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
phill99
Old 07-11-2010, 6:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would get somebody out to do some diagnostics on it. (Gas Safe Registered). It may be that a service sorts everything out. If not, he will tell you what is wrong and how much it will be to fix it.
he will also tell you if its beyond help and needs replacing.

Seems silly to buy a new boiler when the existing one may still have life left in it.

Interms of the monthly cover plans, you may find yours is too old or that they won't cover it until it is repaired.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
The Following User Says Thank You to phill99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
rachelandgromit
Old 07-11-2010, 6:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks, I will get somone out to take a look and perhaps also price up new boilers too, I wonder if I can get a grant too? Anyone know what the boiler system is, is it a condensing?
# 5
phill99
Old 07-11-2010, 6:50 PM

Won't be condensing from nearly 20 years ago.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 6
gas4you
Old 07-11-2010, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormus View Post
probably just a valve sticking, or needs changing.
maybe like this one. very common.
A total guess, but I would say you have 2 x 2 port valves and the HW one needs a new head.
The Following User Says Thank You to gas4you For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
ormus
Old 07-11-2010, 9:49 PM

aye.
i just posted a piccy of the first MV one i found.
Get some gorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
rachelandgromit
Old 10-11-2010, 4:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ok. I have four people coming out on Friday. I have decided that i'm going to concentrate on getting a new boiler mainly as it will probably be alot more economical and given the one in is 20 years old I think it will be a good investment. So the next question is what sort of boiler should I be looking at for a two bedroom bungalow with 6 radiators? I am going to ask the fitter for a price including a boiler but I am also going to ask for a price just for fitting as I think it may be cheaper to source my own and the fitting should be straight forward I would have thought. Can anyone recommend a suitable boiler that will be economical and good for what I need so I have a rough idea for pricing before the people come on Friday so at least I can look a little bit knowledgeable! Rachel
# 9
Canucklehead
Old 10-11-2010, 9:01 PM

Hi

Personal preference is a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger.
Vaillant, Viessmann or Remeha for example.

I assume you would be going for a combi in which case a boiler with an output of 28 to 30 k/w as a minimum.

GSR.
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rachelandgromit
Old 10-11-2010, 9:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, thanks for the replies (I'd thank you but the button has gone)! Right, yes I do want to keep the airing cupboard, tank and immersion heater, mainly as it is a good back-up supply. In terms of the make of boiler, I'm open to suggestions but something that saves on my heating bills would be great, and something that has a timer on it. If you can give me any particular models to look at that would be great, at least I can go armed with some prices.

Thank you all for this info, I'm determined to educate myself before Friday.
# 11
rachelandgromit
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
Hi

Personal preference is a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger.
Vaillant, Viessmann or Remeha for example.

I assume you would be going for a combi in which case a boiler with an output of 28 to 30 k/w as a minimum.

GSR.
I forgot to add, one of the gas people I spoke to mentioned Vaillant and also Worcester Bosch (never heard of either), is there anything I should be particularly looking for out of these makes. I will update this thread after Friday when I have some prices and have done some research.

Rachel
# 12
macman
Old 11-11-2010, 1:07 PM

You may have some difficulty finding an RGI who is willing to fit a boiler supplied by you. If there are problems after install, you will be in a classic 3 cornered fight between manufacturer/retailer, installer and owner, where each party blames the other. That cannot happen if you get the installer to supply-he will also be able to get trade discounts ad incentives which you do not have access to.
But why not just fix the sticky 3 port valve, which might cost you no more than 40?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 13
rachelandgromit
Old 12-11-2010, 5:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

After ringing 4 plumbers/gas fitters ONE turned up today. I would like some advice on his price and recommendations. The boiler he recommended was Viessmann Vitodens 100-1 compact it comes with a 5 year warranty on parts and labour and 10 year warranty on the stainless steel heat exchanger. I need 5 radiator thermostats which I don't have, also asked for a new timer/control as mine is so old fashioned. The pipes that run from my cylinder in the airing cupboard are 10mm and apparantly these should be 22mm so need changing/repiping. I'm not sure why he has priced for a pump?? I have copied in a quote he has provided, any suggestions would be welcome in preparation for the other two (hopefully) guys coming on Monday.

Here is your quote for your new boiler installation

Viessmann 13Kw condensing boiler (5year parts and labour guarantee)

Honeywell controls (programmer, cylinder stat and 3 port valve)

Grundfos 15-50 pump

5 xTRVs fitted to radiators

Increase gas supply to boiler

Re-Pipe circuits to cylinder

Remove old boiler and make good Brickwork

Total Price Inc Vat 2000.00
# 14
gas4you
Old 12-11-2010, 5:19 PM

Where on earth do you live to be quoted such a low price?
The Following User Says Thank You to gas4you For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
macman
Old 12-11-2010, 5:26 PM

What rating is your current boiler? 13kW is the lowest rating available on that model-is it sufficient for your property? No mention of a room 'stat-do you already have one?
Presumably he considers that the existing pump is not up to the job-changing it when he's doing the other work adds little more than the cost of the pump.
Is this installer GSR?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
rachelandgromit
Old 12-11-2010, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have no idea what my current rating is on my boiler, but I only live in a 2 bed detached bungalow and it is very small, only 6 radiators. I have a thermostat in my hall and it is fairly new a digital one he said that didn't need replacing and my cylinder is fine. He is GSR and is on the website. I live in Northwich and the guy was from Winsford seemed honest enough guy and seemed to know what he was talking about, said he has a Viessmann too and I was welcome to come and look at it. The programmer, I don't know what sort but I said I wanted one that I didn't have to programme daily, e.g. like the old 'circular' ones. Is this a good price? I'm going to print it out and show it to the other two on Monday so I have something to go off.
# 17
rachelandgromit
Old 12-11-2010, 6:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

He didn't say anything about cleaning out the system, although I will email him to ask about this. I did ask about the cylinder which he looked at and he went up the loft to check out the pipework. He said that the cylinder seemed absolutely fine and looking at the rest of the work/bungalw, he thinks that the cylinder may have been replaced at some point since the house was built. He was baffled why they had reduced the 22mm pipework to 10mm but this bungalow seems to have been built from leftovers and I have had similar questions asked about odd things done with wiring and other things! I was suprised you are saying it is low as I thought it was alot but then I had no idea of what sort of prices for this work. It's good to know at least I'm not being ripped off!
# 18
rachelandgromit
Old 12-11-2010, 6:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK, right, I emailed the guy that gave me the price for 2k and asked if this was negotiable, this is before you all said it was a good price, y'know tring to moneysave and this was the response:

Hi Rachel i was going to have another person with me for 2 days which is what i think it would take so i could drop him and do it myself for about 1800 and change the programmer and controls for a different make.

So what do you all think, 1800 is this a good price or would you stick with the Honeywell controls for 2k??
# 19
Canucklehead
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelandgromit View Post
OK, right, I emailed the guy that gave me the price for 2k and asked if this was negotiable, this is before you all said it was a good price, y'know tring to moneysave and this was the response:

Hi Rachel i was going to have another person with me for 2 days which is what i think it would take so i could drop him and do it myself for about 1800 and change the programmer and controls for a different make.

So what do you all think, 1800 is this a good price or would you stick with the Honeywell controls for 2k??
Good evening:
Too cheap for the specification as detailed by you regardless of your location in the UK. In addition, your CH system would benefit from a magnetic filter eg. Spirotrap Magnabooster 2. Ensure your RGI follows manufacturer's installation specifications, completes the Benchmark and notifies the installation to Building Control (usually via GSR).

Btw.. the Viessmann Vitodens 100 is an excellent choice.

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
# 20
gas4you
Old 13-11-2010, 9:02 AM

I don't think any of us are doubting the boiler choice, but I would stick with Honeywell controls.

If he was going to have another chap with him for 2 days, that means he thinks it is a 3-4 day job for one man. Take the VAT off (1800) and that leaves a price of 1532.

Now he may be a genuine bloke, but, I can't see how he can do it for that price.
Closed Thread