Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 825Posts
    • 1,485Thanks
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 198
    • Broadsword
    • By Broadsword 3rd Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Retirement and health
    Being healthy in retirement is the most important factor. The leisurely lifestyle, hones and exotic holidays are dependent on it. Keeping fit is however but one factor. With the huge increases in cancer in later years, it is not all about an earlier healthy eating/drinking or fit lifestyle. I did not retire early but gradually sloweden though work was enjoyable. We took the holidays we had dreamed about and generally led a balanced lifestyle no excesses. Then just before another long haul holiday in 2016, I was struck down by what was thought to be a stroke but was diagnosed with the most aggressive brain cancer, a glioblastoma, a cancer with no known cause and affecting 2200 a year here in the U.K. It is known as the Terminator and sufferers include Tessa Jowell and John McCain currently. It killed Paul Daniels and Teddy Kennedy.The prognosis is always very poor, a disease that peaks at 60. Against all odds, after much unpleasant treatment, I am still alive but wth an adjusted lifestyle. Every day is a bonus.

The moral of the tale is that you can often adjust for most things but retirement has huge unknowns. Live life for the day and don!!!8217;t simply bank on spending those pensions on a long and fruitful retirement. The unexpected can and does happen
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 3rd Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Glad to hear you are through your health challenges. I've seen similar. My dad took early retirement from the Civil Service at 58 with a generous pension. He and my mum were looking forward to an enjoyable retirement, he was very fit and healthy. But sadly he was dead from leukaemia aged 61. Another reason why I decided to go early rather than hang on for 4 more years. These years are precious.

Having said that, staying fit and healthy is key to reducing risk of some cancers and maybe dementia.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 3rd Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 5,044 Posts
    • 22,759 Thanks
    Wise words indeed Broadsword, I have a friend who is undergoing a second surgery this week for the same type of tumour, grade 4, in her early 40s. Has certainly made me appreciate life and want to be rid of the working part of it sooner rather than later.

Sad that it takes the likes of what has happened to Tessa Jowell to raise such awareness of the terribly underfunded research into the biggest cancer killers of the under 40s.

My best wishes to you.
    Last edited by Slinky; 03-03-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 5th Mar 18, 4:33 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Congratulations OMG, sorry to hear your health problems Broadsword and your friends Slinky. My own retirement plans are also driven by my own health experiences- heart attack last year at 53yrs old. Also I had a work colleague retire August last year aged 55, unexpectedly died last month!

But on a brighter note I have a couple of colleagues who are still regularly seeing their parents who are retired and healthy and are in their late 80s and early 90s, not dementing and enjoying travel and holidays still!

So all is not glum, I think the secret is stay active- in a careful way as we age do everything in balance, have fun and take every chance to enjoy life!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 9th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Well, just over one week in to retirement, and I can tell you I won't be going back to work. Work is completely forgotten about and I can already see that I don't have enough time to do all the things I planned to do in retirement. I have too many hobbies and projects to fit in to the time available now I am retired. Should have gone 5 years earlier!!

I'm also enjoying spending more relaxed quality time with my wife. It's nice to be able to mooch around like when we were younger with fewer responsibilities.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,292Posts Today

7,290Users online

Martin's Twitter