Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 804Posts
    • 1,431Thanks
    Marine_life
    Early-retirement wannabe
    • 5th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    Early-retirement wannabe 5th Nov 10 at 10:46 AM
    I would like to create a topic (don't see it at the moment - other than the NUMBER thread).

Who is aiming for early retirement (or who has retired early already)?
    When did you begin planning and what drove the decision?
    What is the strategy for getting there?
    How much of a relative decline in income are you prepared to take / did you take?
    What are your main concerns?
    For those already in early retirement - how is it progressing? What have been the good and bad surprises (financial and otherwise)?

I will post my strategy but wanted to get some thoughts
Page 177
    • Temrael
    • By Temrael 12th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Temrael
    I would have thought you had plenty of time to make sure that all your non-pension savings were in ISAs so tax on interest should not be a problem. (Low returns on cash is not so easily solved)
    Originally posted by michaels
    I've been using my ISA allowance on Stocks and Shares but have also preserved a couple of years cash allowance in a flexible Cash ISA (I transfer money in at the end of the tax year and then back out again at the beginning of the next). I'm loathe to actually leave cash in there at the moment though because otherwise, whilst I can protect the interest from tax... there isn't any interest (or rather there is, but it's way below inflation).

Maybe in a few years they will be useful again though (as rates rise and Funding for Lending stops).
    Temrael

Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin