Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > stop a payment to a company coming out of bank ac... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
stop a payment to a company coming out of bank account?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,117
# 1
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default stop a payment to a company coming out of bank account?

Hello - i've tried searching all over for an answer to this but can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know if you can stop a payment coming out of your bank account if you have paid for something online?

Basically we've realised we've been ripped off but payment hasn't come out yet, so want to see if we can stop it being taken.

Thanks all
'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

# 2
Accountant_Kerry
Old 31-10-2010, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i take it you are talking about a card payment rather than a bank transfer?

you need to speak to your bank asap, they may be able to decline the transaction. if not you will have to instigate a 'chargeback' under the visa or mastercard scheme, again your bank can facilitate this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Accountant_Kerry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountant_Kerry View Post
i take it you are talking about a card payment rather than a bank transfer?

you need to speak to your bank asap, they may be able to decline the transaction. if not you will have to instigate a 'chargeback' under the visa or mastercard scheme, again your bank can facilitate this.
Thanks Kerry, shouldve just called the bank and ask them directly.
'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

# 4
iereboy
Old 31-10-2010, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If the money is already earmarked, under most circumstances the bank cannot cancel it.

If the money is not earmarked, you may want to cancel the card and get another sent out.
The Following User Says Thank You to iereboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
somethingtypical
Old 31-10-2010, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Get the card stopped immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to somethingtypical For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Oh yes

Yes iereboy and something, I never thought about cancelling the card - that should work shouldnt it......... i'll ring them to cancel the card. I wonder why they didnt mention that when I called to say that we think we've been ripped off by an illegitimate company?

# 7
rb10
Old 31-10-2010, 2:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFem View Post
Yes iereboy and something, I never thought about cancelling the card - that should work shouldnt it......... i'll ring them to cancel the card. I wonder why they didnt mention that when I called to say that we think we've been ripped off by an illegitimate company?
If the transaction has already been authorised (using the old card) then it will still go through, even if you cancel the card.

Both the old and new cards are linked to your account.

If it is a Visa Debit card, then you will need to speak to your bank about a 'Chargeback'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
If the transaction has already been authorised (using the old card) then it will still go through, even if you cancel the card.

Both the old and new cards are linked to your account.

If it is a Visa Debit card, then you will need to speak to your bank about a 'Chargeback'.
We've just called the bank again and because we paid online using the long card number rather than the sort code and account number, theyve said the payment won't go out, other than the fact that the payment isn't showing as pending etc. So hopefully will be ok. Thanks for your help and advice, really appreciated.

# 9
rb10
Old 31-10-2010, 3:20 PM

Quote:
We've just called the bank again and because we paid online using the long card number rather than the sort code and account number, theyve said the payment won't go out, other than the fact that the payment isn't showing as pending etc. So hopefully will be ok. Thanks for your help and advice, really appreciated.
Just check your account carefully ... I don't believe them!
The Following User Says Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
Just check your account carefully ... I don't believe them!
Haha, yes I will thanks. I think you're right not to believe them - we will be checking very carefully!

# 11
jonesMUFCforever
Old 31-10-2010, 4:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Everybody paying online using a debit or credit card uses the long PAN number.
Nobody commercially uses sort codes and account numbers unless you set up a direct debit.

Remember to cancel the order and keep a screen print of this as well as check your bank statement.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 12
mclaren32
Old 31-10-2010, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
If the company involved have processed the payment already then it will go through. The bank wont cancel an authorised transaction on the customers request - imagine if you bought a car using you debit card, drove off in it and rang the bank to cancel the transaction....

The Following User Says Thank You to mclaren32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
iereboy
Old 31-10-2010, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bfem, have they cancelled the card though?

If the transaction is pending, it will go through - however, if it is not, it will be harder to go thro if the card is cancelled.
The Following User Says Thank You to iereboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
olly300
Old 31-10-2010, 9:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you paid for non-personalised or non-customised goods online you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. So you can cancel them with the retailer as well as with your bank.

If you do receive them send them back the retailer the same or next day using a method to prove they would have highly likely received them back within 7 days of them being shipped to you. You aren't suppose to pay for postage but if you are being ripped off I would try and send them recorded delivery if they are going to an address or proof of posting if they are going to a PO Box.
I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
The Following User Says Thank You to olly300 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
exel1966
Old 31-10-2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Basically we've realised we've been ripped off but payment hasn't come out yet, so want to see if we can stop it being taken.
How about elaborating as to how you think you've been ripped off ? When did you order the goods ? Have you actually received the goods yet ? If not, what reason do you have to suspect you won't get them or the product isn't what you thought ?

Curious !
The Following User Says Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Accountant_Kerry
Old 31-10-2010, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

the banks and card issuers can and do cancel transactions that they have initially authorised, it is fairly rare but it does happen. I have seen it many times at the retailer end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Accountant_Kerry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
BFem
Old 31-10-2010, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by exel1966 View Post
How about elaborating as to how you think you've been ripped off ? When did you order the goods ? Have you actually received the goods yet ? If not, what reason do you have to suspect you won't get them or the product isn't what you thought ?

Curious !
No, we haven't received the goods, nor has the money been taken out, or even begun to (which is strange in itself as OH put order through last week!).

After not getting any email confirmation of order or correspondence and seeing that the money hadn't come out we searched the company name online, read reviews and read other peoples experiences of them and basically have come to the conclusion that they are definitely not legitimate. My OH made a payment to them on impulse without doing any of this first, of course,

Thanks for your interest, hope that answers you Qs

# 18
exel1966
Old 31-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
No, we haven't received the goods, nor has the money been taken out, or even begun to (which is strange in itself as OH put order through last week!).

After not getting any email confirmation of order or correspondence and seeing that the money hadn't come out we searched the company name online, read reviews and read other peoples experiences of them and basically have come to the conclusion that they are definitely not legitimate. My OH made a payment to them on impulse without doing any of this first, of course,

Thanks for your interest, hope that answers you Qs
So to warn other prospective buyers the name of the company is ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
BFem
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by exel1966 View Post
So to warn other prospective buyers the name of the company is ?
Yes of course - but once I know they're not going to take the money from our account! I know they are quite present online and forums so I don't want the same thing happening to me as it has to other people - some people are still having problems with them after revealing their name, which I don't mind at all if it stops other people from using them, but once I know my money is safe. Surely everyone would feel the same!

# 20
exel1966
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I didn't think you be revealing who it was ! Makes it all rather suspicious doesn't it !

You have passed your card details to a company. They have 6 years in which to take that payment. I think people would rather know before then.

How could they possibly tie up a purchase to an anonymous forum ? Impossible !
The Following User Says Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread