Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Pre-payment gas meter - battery failure (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Pre-payment gas meter - battery failure
Closed Thread
Views: 19,743
# 1
concerned43
Old 23-10-2010, 4:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Pre-payment gas meter - battery failure

I am with Scottish Power (for my sins) and have a pre-payment gas meter. I went to put my heating on this morning and it did not go on, I checked the meter and I have a 'Battery Fail' message. I knew this was going to happen because an engineer was sent out last month to correct the meter and told me that the battery was on its last legs but said he was not allowed to replace it because Scottish Power only do so when the battery has died.
I tried contacting Scottish power's customer service team but they are 'updating their systems' and not available. I have tried 7 different number thus far:
0845 607 6677
0845 272 7999
0845 270 7000
0845 605 6677
0845 744 4555
0845 729 2292
0845 270 3333
.Some I got through to and they could not help and gave me other numbers to try and some of the lines are dead!
So I now face the prospect of no heating or hot water this weekend. Does anyone else know of a number I could try?
many thanks
# 2
Gman0365
Old 23-10-2010, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have no idea who the Meter Assest Manager is for your meter however, I would try the main one which is National Grid Metering (NGM). If you cant get through to Scottish Power then you can phone NGM on 0845 6066766 and explain the problem to them.

Someone will answer your call on that number.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gman0365 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Terrylw1
Old 23-10-2010, 5:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yeah, try the emergency line. They have the facility to get batteries/meters changed and then they send your Supplier a communication so they can get your Meter Asset Manager updated.
It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrylw1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
lemontart
Old 23-10-2010, 5:05 PM

DO NOT CALL GAS EMERGENCY it is your gas suppliers responsibilty to sort this out the gas emergency service do NOT deal with this at all.

the number for scottish power is 085457 292 292 if there is a recorded message stay on the line to the end of the call it will give you the number for their metering management company - when you dial that number DO NOT take option 1 as it will take you to the gas emergency service who CANNOT HELP.

Last edited by lemontart; 23-10-2010 at 5:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lemontart For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
concerned43
Old 23-10-2010, 5:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontart View Post
DO NOT CALL GAS EMERGENCY it is your gas suppliers responsibilty to sort this out the gas emergency service do NOT deal with this at all.

the number for scottish power is 085457 292 292 if there is a recorded message stay on the line to the end of the call it will give you the number for their metering management company - when you dial that number DO NOT take option 1 as it will take you to the gas emergency service who CANNOT HELP.
many thanks - called the line but just get a 'we are updating our system' service currently unavailable.
Already tried gas emergency but they could not help.
The Following User Says Thank You to concerned43 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
t0rt0ise
Old 23-10-2010, 6:51 PM

Make sure when you eventually get it fixed that you get compensation. If a meter breaks they are supposed to send someone out within 4 hours. As you could not get through the 4 hours is well and truly up already. Compensation is 22 and they probably won't pay it unless you ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rt0ise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
concerned43
Old 23-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rt0ise View Post
Make sure when you eventually get it fixed that you get compensation. If a meter breaks they are supposed to send someone out within 4 hours. As you could not get through the 4 hours is well and truly up already. Compensation is 22 and they probably won't pay it unless you ask.
Only 22! - its that per day? I'm sitting here freezing!!!!!
# 8
utility_csa
Old 25-10-2010, 6:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Dont know whether you've had you situation sorted yet but,

SP are open 24/7 afaik.. i referred a customer to their DNO number which is one of the numbers you posted above and they never came back to me.

Did you not think to contact sp to advise them you battery was almost dead? they should have booked a job on to have it exchanged before you went off supply.

also, good luck claiming compo, as you haven't had a job booked on they haven't failed to attend your property within the time frame, and its 20 not 22.

plus if you haven't got it sorted they'll def be able to help today
The Following User Says Thank You to utility_csa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
scottishpower company representative
Old 25-10-2010, 8:52 AM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned43 View Post
I knew this was going to happen because an engineer was sent out last month to correct the meter and told me that the battery was on its last legs but said he was not allowed to replace it because Scottish Power only do so when the battery has died.
This information is not correct. Your battery warning light will come on around 6 weeks before the battery actually fails. This gives you enough time to contact your supplier and arrange for the battery to be changed. It makes no sense in allowing the battery to fail then leaving the customer with no gas until such time that the battery is changed. I am not aware of any supplier having this as their policy.

If you contact us this morning we will get the battery changed for you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishpower company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
concerned43
Old 25-10-2010, 2:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishpower company representative View Post
This information is not correct. Your battery warning light will come on around 6 weeks before the battery actually fails. This gives you enough time to contact your supplier and arrange for the battery to be changed. It makes no sense in allowing the battery to fail then leaving the customer with no gas until such time that the battery is changed. I am not aware of any supplier having this as their policy.

If you contact us this morning we will get the battery changed for you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
Colin - thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid it is true - your engineer saw that the battery was failing and said he could not replace it as Scottish Power will not let him until the battery has actually failed - I also had to call Scottish power again a week later regarding another problem I had with the meter and had to give them readings from many screens and also mentioned the battery - nothing was done on both occasions!
Its a poor show when Scottish Power try to put the blame onto the customer. I am not an engineer, nor have I ever had a pre-payment meter before so therefore did not know what 'Battery' on my meter meant, BUT your engineer DID and NOTHING was done about it!
So my son and I sat in freezing conditions all weekend..but then according to you that's my fault...oh and by the way I have only been a customer since September and won't be one come December!!
The Following User Says Thank You to concerned43 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Terrylw1
Old 25-10-2010, 2:36 PM

The thing to focus on is why an engineer said that ands ended up causing this situation.

What was that engineer there for?

Also, engineers issue notes back via their handhelds so he/she might have reported that battery issue to your Supplier, who may not have acted on it. Worth your Supplier checking that.
It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
# 12
concerned43
Old 25-10-2010, 2:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylw1 View Post
The thing to focus on is why an engineer said that ands ended up causing this situation.

What was that engineer there for?

Also, engineers issue notes back via their handhelds so he/she might have reported that battery issue to your Supplier, who may not have acted on it. Worth your Supplier checking that.
Thanks Terry - the engineer was there because I had used my card for the first time to credit the meter only to find that the previous tenant had debt and my money was being used to pay his debt, the engineer came out to reset the meter. It was a foul night and once he had done his job he chapped my door, upon answering it he told me that he had finished the job but my battery was running out but he could not change it and blamed Scottish Power policy (tho there looks like there is not one) so don't know why he did not change it - maybe hanging about in the horrible weather put him off and he made the 'policy' as a get out clause - who knows but Scottish Power should certainly investigate and speak with the engineer in question - if only to educate him so that no one has to go thro what I have went thro this weekend - the coldest so far!!
# 13
Terrylw1
Old 25-10-2010, 2:59 PM

If the meter is outside, it might have been the weather. If it's too risky with adverse weather they can abort. However, they should still report the battery issue so they can either get another engineer out there or your Supplier will arrange one.

Worth your Supplier investigating that.

It's one for a complaint as it was totally avoidable and you didn't have an easy time getting it addressed until Colin came along.
# 14
SwanJon
Old 25-10-2010, 3:01 PM

This may be down to a division of labour. I work for British Gas, and we use two different types of company with the meter.
The Meter Operator owns the meter, exchanges the meter and fixes it when it goes wrong (e.g. battery runs out). They also support out of hours by covering the Meter Readers
The Meter Reader reads the meter, but also resets the meter, and can apply emergency credit.

It sounds like you original engineer was a Meter reader, who is not employed to change the battery. He would work for an independent company, not SP, and as such may not know the current policies.

However - the call centre agent defiantely should!
I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwanJon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
concerned43
Old 25-10-2010, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I now have heat - hurrah
Scottish Power have offered compensation of 22 (will argue that one) and an internal investigation. They also said I should have called Manweb to replace battery over the weekend as they are Scottish Power's out of hours agent! how was I supposed to know that? I have suggested that Scottish Power put more information on their website regarding emergencies and relevant contact numbers.
# 16
scottishpower company representative
Old 26-10-2010, 8:32 AM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi concerned43

Sorry for sounding blunt in my original reply. I was not meaning to put the blame on you, the engineer and the customer service team at ScottishPower should have acted upon the information you provided or the fact that the battery light was on the meter. I am sorry that this did not happen resulting in you being left with no heating. I would recommend contacting our prepayment team as they will be able to provide you with a booklet detailing how your prepayment meter works and all relevant contact numbers. I am glad that you now have a functioning meter again.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishpower company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
C_Mababejive
Old 26-10-2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rt0ise View Post
That will be 4 hours from when the reported fault is received.
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
The Following User Says Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
t0rt0ise
Old 26-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Mababejive View Post
That will be 4 hours from when the reported fault is received.
Yes, but the claim is that the report could not be received because the company was uncontactable. It might take some arguing but it's worth a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rt0ise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
lemontart
Old 27-10-2010, 8:41 AM

and sadly a lot of suppliers do not appear to have easily found out of hours contact numbers if any at all
The Following User Says Thank You to lemontart For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
concerned43
Old 27-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As I said they have (off their own back) offered 22 compensation therefore it has nothing to do with 4 hours from call logged.
Closed Thread